“Plenty of Room at ski-in ski-out condo”
Review of Snow Creek Lodge

and 1 more site!
Snow Creek Lodge
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Fernie
Strathmore, Canada
“Plenty of Room at ski-in ski-out condo”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

First time at Snow Creek Lodge and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. After reading some negative comments, I was slightly worried. I think the accommodations were above GREAT!! The rooms were clean, equipped, spacious and best of all, right on the hill. The kitchen had everything we needed - including some extras (cheese grater, shot glass, more than 2 wine glasses) that we forgot to pack. The lower level housed ski shop/rentals - how convenient...no walking or waiting if you need to rent or buy equipment before stepping out your door to the hill!! Loved having heated underground parking and ski lockers. NO COMPLAINTS HERE :)

1 Thank Lori3d

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Alberta
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We paid 300 plus tax for two weekend nights on the 3rd floor. We got one of the slightly larger King sized beds. The location is great. My kids loved watching the people on the chairlifts right outside our window. The hot tub was nice. Underground heated parking and ski lockers were very convenient. I have to second the reviewer who complained about the heat. We were able to cool things down by opening doors/windows but it did get noisy with the bobcats, etc. and the occasional icy gust wasn't all that nice. My biggest complaint was the horribly uncomfortable bed. I expected a pretty nice night's sleep for what we were paying and I barely slept either night, despite sheer exhaustion. We also asked for a late checkout (10:00 is a little early!) b/c we have two small children who needed naps. We were told our room had been booked back to back (who knows, maybe it was?) and we were given until 10:30. In most other hotels we'd have gotten at least until noon. Despite the complaints, the staff were friendly, and as I said, the location was good. We will likely check out other accommodations next time to compare.

Room Tip: Rm 310 had a terrible bed. The sofa pull out was better.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Condo building is perfectly located on the hill. We're in Suite 401 which is the top floor and end unit. It's very nice, well equiped, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a pull out couch. Very quiet. Parking is under the building, and ski lockers are extremely convenient. Not sure what others are complaining about. I have high standards and have stayed in many top resort condos over the years and this one is as good as any. I will say that I am surprised at how few people are here given that it's March break in Ontario and B.C. The restaurants are pretty dead and this is not the place for night life, in contrast to Tremblant or Whistler, as examples.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 February 2013

The location of this accommodation is stellar and has great access to the mountain. The apartments are reasonably sized and the facilities are average, given the age of the building.

The reason this has been rated average is a result of 2 factors below:

With all heating off, windows open and balcony door open (outside temperature -5), all rooms were over 24 degrees and could not be reduced. The suggestion from the front desk staff was to "open the front door." I've never slept in a hotel with the front door open?? There seems to be a circulation problem that results in a very stuffy and hot nights sleep.

We requested a later checkout (2 hours only) to fit in with our 3 month year olds feeding/sleeping habits and were given only 1 hour extension. If we wanted a second hour, we were required to pay 50% room rate. Surely this could have been accommodated without spoiling the cleaning sequence.

For the price of the accommodation, I would have expected flexibility with the check out (particularly with a baby) as well as the capability to dial in the preferred temperature.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Andy_B_123987
fernielodgingco, Director of Sales at Snow Creek Lodge, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Hi Andy_B

Thank you for your review of Snow Creek Lodge. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the accommodations, and the fantastic ski in ski out location. On behalf of Fernie Lodging Company I would like to apologise for the less than acceptable response you got regarding your problem with the heat in your condo. I certainly agree that opening the door to cool the place off is not an ideal resolution! We pride ourselves on being able to respond to guest concerns when brought to our attention, however on this occasion it seems we dropped the ball. We sincerely regret the discomfort this caused your family, and we hope that you consider staying with us again in the future. Please feel free to contact me as I would be more than happy to discuss this further and see if there is something we can do to rectify the issues.

Kind Regards,
Juliana Dare
sales@fernielodgingco.com
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I just want to start by saying that we paid over $300 a night to stay at Snow Creek, not including lift passes. I was highly disappointed in the services and accommodations, and would highly recommend staying somewhere other than this. Worst value ever.

The rooms are old, run down, and not very clean. Our laptop has a bigger screen than the television provided, which did not wok anyway. The high speed Internet did not work more than 3/4 of our time spent. The bed was the cheapest most uncomfortable bed I have come into contact with, which didn't matter because we got no sleep anyway. Between the squealing pipes, thumping, and the snow plows/groomers we were up every hour or so. The facility offered no soundproofing whatsoever.

The ammenities were almost non existent. We attempted to go to a local pub for dinner, since the lodge had no restaurant on site. It was only 9:30pm on a Friday night and all of the on site restaurants had their kitchens closed. Granted we would have gotten there earlier if the roads had any lighting and were properly marked. I understand that the village is set up as more of a ski/ walk in context, however the day we arrived it had rained very heavily and all the walkways were pure ice and dangerous to walk on

The hot tubs weren't too bad, except that there was no proper area to leave towels/ clothing. Every time we used the facilities we had frozen icy towels and clothes I return to. Also they do not provide robes, which I assumed that all hotels in that price range had as a standard.

In short, I feel completely ripped off. The prices paid do not reflect the quality of service or ammenities. I would never stay at or reccomend any of the related lodges. I returned home tired and dissappinted.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Justanothertravler15
fernielodgingco, Director of Sales at Snow Creek Lodge, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Justanothertravler14,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay at Snow Creek Lodge. I have had a look over the January reservations that stayed with us and can't seem to find one that has notes regarding the issues you present. I would be most grateful if you could contact me via phone or email to provide me with more information, so that I can address the necessary upgrades with the specific suite owner.

As part of our daily procedures we make a courtesy call to every suite after check-in to ensure that guests are satisfied. Any issues identified at this time are always dealt with as efficiently and effectively as possible. I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the poor experience you had whilst in Fernie. We always encourage guests to bring issues to our attention whilst they are here, so that we may have the opportunity to resolve. It appears unfortunately that this was not the case in your scenario. Despite this, the comments you have made are useful in aiding us identify areas where we can do better next time.

I would like to point out to other readers that Snow Creek Lodge is not a hotel, rather a condo complex, and as such, the amenities on site reflect that of a condo complex and not a hotel. That being said, it is unfortunate that you were unable to find somewhere on mountain to eat at 9.30pm on a Friday - to the best of my knowledge Lizard Creek Lodge and Corner Pocket both serve dinner until at least 10pm on weekends.

The comments you make regarding the on mountain amenities, signage and lighting are useful, however these unfortunately are all areas far outside our realm of responsibility. I will however happily pass this feedback on to the Resort on your behalf.

We sincerely wish you a more pleasant experience on your next ski vacation.

Kind Regards,
Juliana Dare
Fernie Lodging Company
vacation@fernielodgingco.com
25-423-6878
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2013

First, and definitely not the last time we come to Fernie. We did a fair bit of research prior to booking our trip, and we got some assistance from a resort marketing manager a ski expo in Sydney which was invaluable.
The accommodation was excellent, with great parking facilities. Pool and spa set up with majestic views was best on mountain. The rooms were clean, tidy and a perfect layout with modern kitchen and bathroom.
Staff were definitely helpful and supportive during our stay.
Overall, a great location and facilities. 50 mtrs to the nearest lift line and right in front of the kids trials and lesson area.
We will definitely stay here again and Fernie is one of the best all round resorts I've skied. We had an actual ball and were lucky enough to great great snow falls and some blue birds at the end of the trip.

Stoked on Fernie!

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MORI-MAGIC
Calgary
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I had a very good stay there for three nights Dec 7-10, 2012. The room is clean and nice design. The atmosphere in rooms is warm and like home. The workers there are friendly, generous and helpful. I got instant help once needed. The building is very good and makes me feeling in my own home. Here I would like to say thanks for Nicole, Kristen and one plumbing man for their warmheartedness, and helpfulness. I will definitely go back in the future for skiing again.

Room Tip: I recommend two bedroom suite.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family