“My happy place”
Review of Island Lake Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fernie
Island Lake Lodge
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I love Island Lake Lodge. My husband and I catskied there in the mid-90s, and also spent a couple of summer weekends there (08 and 09). We were able to get in on a cancellation last week and stayed in the Tamarack Lodge so it was just a walk downstairs for meals, spa & hot tub. Beautiful view looking out toward the 3 bears. Our guides were Nick and Brenda, who took very, very good care of us and were able to find us great ski spots even though conditions were less than perfect. Excellent food, friendly staff who knocked themselves out for us. Great après-ski snacks, too. One of many great things about catskiing is that you can eat lunch all day long! My fave was the Brie-L-T sandwich on day 3, but there is enough variety to keep anyone happy. Their fresh cookies are great, too. I sat out a run each day just so I could ride down with the cat driver -- great experience and would highly recommend it! I was one of the weaker skiers in our group but Brenda knows the mountain inside and out and always found a way to make the run work for me.

Room Tip: Tamarack Lodge is most convenient, but also the priciest.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NWDiver
There are newer reviews for Island Lake Lodge

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Cat-skiing is my new addiction and Island Lake is the perfect place to catch the buzz. Wow! We had incredible skiing, fabulous food, and incredible guides. Can't wait to go back! The staff was terrific. The setting is beautiful. The accommodations are appropriately cabin-y. Nothing pretentious here. Our guides, Corey and Candice, were extremely competent, helpful and fun to be with. Tim was a great cat-driver and fantastic with names :) It was an absolute pleasure spending the day with these three. I was terrified that the skiing would be too extreme...but it was nothing but pristine! Fabulous tree runs and bowls and the perfect pitches and the best powder skiing I've ever experienced. I want to tell everybody to go there.....and yet, I don't want anyone else to know about it!

Room Tip: Nice to be in Tamarack so you don't have to leave the building for breakfast
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hallway190
Reviewed 6 January 2014

A magical forest in the middle of no where. Loved the whole experience. A hidden gem. A must see. Prepare to feel healing inside and out from the fresh mountain air. Wonderful trails for hiking and snowshoeing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We visited Island Lake Lodge several times during our holiday. The first couple of times we just enjoyed walking the trails and around the lake, followed by cooling drinks on the terrace, which has fantastic views of the mountains. On the third occasion we booked dinner and an overnight stay including breakfast.

Our room was well equipped and beautifully furnished, with a very large comfortable bed and lovely bathroom. For dinner, we had the five course tasting menu with a different wine (small glass) at each course. The food and service in both the restaurant and the lodge were very good. The wine was well matched although not especially memorable.

I would highly recommend the accommodation and restaurant, as well as the finding the time to enjoy the trails in the summer months.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I enjoyed my time here for the second time. Both times I went were great times and lovely view. The fresh, clean air and quietness was so nice. All employees were welcoming and very helpful during my stay. Love this area because you are surrounded by nature. Nothing can beat that experience when it so relaxing and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We loved our weekend at Island Lake Lodge. The lodge is gorgeous. The scenery magical. The food amazing. I'm just annoyed at myself for not discovering this place years ago.

The lake was our favourite part. We sat down there one night just talking and it was so peaceful. We did the short hike around the lake and will try some of the longer ones next time we go.

The customer service was exceptional. The staff seemed to really enjoy their jobs and were extremely helpful with anything we needed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim V
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Off the beaten track, up a dirt road you enter paradise on earth. Outdoor Canada at it's best....our daughter's invitation to join she and her family here for a night where the comfortable rooms (jacuzzi on deck of lodge outside the door), cuisine and outdoor experience on walking trails is unsurpassed. Innovative, 5* cuisine and wine parings.....attentive, informative staff.......you owe it to yourself to visit this secluded up-market lodge.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family