“Really nice place, but 'motel no-tell ' bathroom.”
Review of La Roma Motel

La Roma Motel
La Roma Motel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Edmundston
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Off the beaten track ,lies this nice hotel with a quiet stream nearby. This is a no frills motel (a little too expensive for the class ). It is very clean, the rooms are fresh. The service is friendly and the food is quite nice in the adjoining resto . Only a nitpick are the bathrooms. With the sink outside (pros or cons depending on tastes ), the bathroom barely holds a toilet and tub. No counters or ledges. A tiny bath towel and those teeeeeny bar-letts of soap they used to use 30 years ago.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank intellibyte

Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in late June and having driven many hours was in need of respite. Unfortunately it didn't happen here.
They put me in room16. Do not take the rooms at this end of building. Thank God I travel with ear plugs b/c the water pump/system was directly next or below me. The pump cycles on approx. every 10 mins. and did so the entire 48 plus hrs. I was there.
Luckily I had my ear plugs so it wasn't as bad as it could have. I travel with an air purifier that gives me the white noise needed to help with my insomnia issues.
I didn't ask to change rooms b/c I really just got used to the sound........................like living next to train tracks I guess.

I really don't nit pick b/c I know how hard running a hotel/motel must be. And I rarely complain when on the road but I'm giving the rest of you a heads up b/c this will be an issue for some.

Other issues like uneven drop off with the step when leaving unit may be an issue for anyone with mobility issues. I found it tricky, especially when dark.
The other disappointment was lack of a microwave.I took it for granted that one would be there and bought some frozen dinners. Had to throw them out.

Penny saved, pound foolish seems to be an axiom this motel adheres to. If they simply invested a bit of money in some areas, it would bring in more $.
I meant to point out to them when leaving that if they had a separate switch to turn on the ceiling fan then over the course of a year that small correction would save them a fair bit in hydro costs if every bathroom had a separate light and fan switch.
The beds/mattresses-could use new ones. I found them incredibly hard.

Room Tip: Book a room closer to office as the water pump/system runs almost constantly at far end on main leve...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank hatthead2011
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This low-priced motel is located in a delightful setting just a couple of minutes off the TransCanada Highway. The rooms and swimming pool are clean and the food is excellent. The owners go the extra mile to ensure your needs are accommodated. Highly recommended as a comfortable place to stay. Very much look forward to my next visit.
Barry K

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Barry465
Reviewed 24 January 2013

It has been a year since I have been at this motel. Again I had a very nice greeting and was surprised to see that in the year they have upgraded the room furnishings. I love the hospitality, the price and the size of the room. I enjoy this motel and plan to stop there again next week on my way home.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BethWL
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We hadn't planned on staying at La Roma on our trip through NB but circumstances forced us to stop (bad weather and a lost wallet)
Went we arrived it was late (probably 9pm) there was a nice man at the desk and was very sympathetic to our situation (no id or credit card).
Luckily for us there was a room available and our dog was even permitted in.

The room was basic, clean and had a full bathroom.
There was no noise from the highway or adjacent rooms.

Good value, understanding owners and a good nights rest.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed here on our way to and from the maritimes. The motel is very accessible from hwy 2 (exit 21). Rooms were clean, pool was clean and the service was prompt and friendly. Food in the restaurant was good and prices were economical.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Barb D
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed at La Roma (notice I didn't use the word "slept") on our way to Cape Breton. First impression upon entering the room was not good. The room had such a strong odour of mildew and Fabreeze. I have a strong aversion to chemicals and the smell nearly knocked me over. The décor was definitely dated (but that is not really an issue as long as everything works).

The blinds were not in good shape and they were light coloured so the light from the parking lot glared in through the window all night and the parking lot lights were BRIGHT! It was like daylight in the room. We did not sleep very well and in fact we decided to just get on the road at 5:00 am because we were so uncomfortable and unhappy.

As for the beds...as I pulled back the sheet I noticed a very tiny bug scurry away...not sure what it was but it left me feeling very nervous and a little creeped out all night. Could have been a fluke.

Now for a positive...the grounds are lovely and a nice bonus that they have a pool. This place has a lot of potential but they need to drop some money on updating the rooms and improving things. It was $120 to stay the night...maybe for the area that is not too expensive, but in general that money should get you a decent place to sleep. In my books the room was probably only worth $60-75/night TOPS. Spend the extra $20 and book the Days Inn, in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family