“Spotless!”

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Edmundston
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
“Spotless!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

You will not find a cleaner motel on the east coast than the Happy Motel. It is truly spotless. It's not fancy but the decor is fresh. The bed linens are soft and immaculate. We stay here every year on our way to and back from Nova Scotia. We like Room #18 which is in the back. It might not be for everyone but we love it. The door opens to a little foyer; the main bedroom is down a short step. There is one window which makes it a bit dark. There is no view but it is the perfect quiet room for resting up for the next day's journey. I love that there is a fridge with a freezer. Very reasonably priced, friendly owners who recently put the motel up for sale. I hope the next owners run the Happy Motel to the same incredible standard.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back off the parking lot are very quiet. Rooms in the front face a busy road and have a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2014

After a few km of hydroplaning down the TransCanada through horrific weather, we decided to rest for the night. I whipped out my phone and Trip Advisor suggested Happy Motel. A little wary of a motel, we kept looking. We went to the Comfort Inn and for $140 they had mediocre rooms... we were tempted to keep driving.

We stopped by the Happy Motel and I kid you not, for $70 all in we got a double bed in the cleanest room I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. No hyperbole.
The bed was comfortable, there was a mini fridge, we had Rogers cable tv, there was a beautiful and MASSIVE deck with Muskoka chairs to watch the storm... it was LOVELY.
The lady who checked us in (Jeannette maybe??) highly recommended we sit out there and I'm so glad we did.
She also pointed us to Le Vieux Poele Steakhouse for a bite to eat... the food was incredible. I can't recommend what a surprise this whole experience is. I regularly stay at Starwoods, Fairmonts, Ritz Carltons... but sometimes you just need a nice clean comfortable bed and this is it.

Room Tip: Our double bed on the second floor was lovely.
1 Thank Kiara S
toronto
Reviewed 1 July 2014

There are always pros and cons when staying at a mom and pop motel. I get that. I usually stay at the Best Western or Days Inn when commuting to Toronto. This time I decided to change it up and based on the reviews here, booked a night at Happy Motel.

The owners were delightful. Ample parking. The room was clean.

Room felt like I was in a college dorm. The Wifi was awful. The bathroom small and cramped.

I don't expect a lot from a motel with minimal amenities, but those amenities "HAVE" to work.

Next time I will stay at the Days Inn.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I'm traveling from Calgary to visit the Maritimes, and this place fit the bill perfectly. The warm welcome I received from the lady at the front desk made my day!! Others have written about the rooms and features so I won't repeat the message, but all in all it was a good, quiet night and well worth the money!! If a person wants more upscale, then by all means pay more, but for the price range it was great :) I'd stop in again for sure!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Wilton, California
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I loved Joanne when we stopped in for check-in. We had made our reservation she said she would try to get us a bottom floor room and she did that, which we appreciated. As others have noted she has a great sense of humor and takes an interest in each customer that comes through her door. The room price was reasonable, until the Canadian taxes are added in, but the motel has no control over that aspect. Our room was large. When you walk in there's a small foyer with the bathroom ahead. You need to turn into the bedroom. Lots of storage area, plenty of chairs. The bed was comfortable and everything was spotless. Both heat and A/C available. There is an area outside where you may just sit and chat or read that I thought was really charming. Joanne not only recommended an excellent restaurant she made markings on the local map to ensure we got there. That was a big help. We were really thrilled with our last night in New Brunswick. The business card now only says "Happy Motel".

Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Located "right" on a busy street hardly qualifies as a convenient location. Vinyl flooring and cheap furniture hardly elicits value ... unless you really are looking for cheap. No closet and Dollar Store towels go hand-in-hand. If all you're looking for is a low priced room, this might fit the bill.

NB Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I have stayed here many times on business, and booked my crew here as well. This is absolutely the best deal in NB. A very fair price gets you an immaculately clean room with a comfortable bed, microwave and small fridge, in a central location.
Joanne has been the perfect hostess for myself and crew, and has made every effort to accommodate every request.
You can stay at the BW for $120, that's fine, or you can stay here for about $60. An easy call.
Furthermore, if you've got business in the generally overpriced (except for Motel Leo) nearby town of Grand Falls, you're better off staying here and driving to and from GF.
Looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business