“Average, but for the money okay.”

Howard Johnson Inn Woodstock NB
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodstock
“Average, but for the money okay.”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I would put 3 and half circles if I could - but opted to round up to 4.

Average. We went for a last weekend before escape weekend. Kids loved the pool, Room was lacklustre. Not horribly dirty, but there was lots of dust around the fan in the bathroom, and there seemed to be an ant issues in the room as there was ant traps set up.

Breakfast in the morning was free. The standard toast, bagels and cereal. Suited our purposes but I was diappointed there was no fruit. The Lady operating the breakfast seemed rushed off her feet. She was doing her best, but the garbage was overflowing, and sometimes they were short on coffee. Maybe we just arrived when it was busier than expected. Certainly not her fault - she was doing everything she could.

It's a good convenient location. And I would consider staying again..

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Andy K, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Woodstock NB, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
An excellent critique. Because the 41 motel-style rooms open directly to the outdoors, we have a pest control company spray around the outside of doors and set pest traps in the rooms in order to greatly reduce the chance of pests becoming a problem. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

In the past, we had only tracked the number of rooms rented before deciding whether the breakfast lady could also be assigned to help with the laundry. This didn't always work well because 30 rooms, for example, might contain anywhere from 30 to 120 people. We have since added a guest count to our daily log spreadsheet to better estimate her availability.

I'm also disappointed that we didn't have fruit that day. Since fruit doesn't keep well, we depend on the local markets having fresh fruit available each day. It's rare that they disappoint us. You seem to have caught us on one of those bad days.

Thank you for the review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 20 August 2011

The desk person was very friendly and attentive so that was good. As soon as we opened the door to the room we were hit with the smell of old, stale, smoke that has been there after years of use.

The room was clean-ish but it felt a little scuzzy. The only visible signs of something askew, was red marks on the blanket, and although I doubt it was blood, that's what I kept thinking it was.

We were attracted by the price, but you get what you pay for.

You may want to pick another place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Andy K, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Woodstock NB, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for your unpleasant experience as a guest of the Howard Johnson of Woodstock. We do not allow guests to smoke in the rooms, but when the housekeepers clean they sometimes leave the windows open and because of the exterior rooms the smoke can easily drift in from other guests smoking outside their rooms. For the convenience of our guest we keep our front desk open 24 hours and If you would have let us know about this problem we certainly would have moved you to a more suitable room. I am very sorry you had a bad experience with us and I would like the chance to rectify the situation. It is our goal to provide our very best to each and every guest.

Respectfully,

Andy Kumar

Travellers are raving about these Woodstock hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2011

There was a prominent sign for a restaurant at this Motel but it was no longer in operation. They served a free continental breakfast for guests. personally I find that Motel rooms like the one I had at the HJ Motel in Woodstock NB to be overpriced at very close to 100 dollars per night. That is the going rate at many Motels these days bit I think it is squeezing tourists for their money based on the fact they have few options if they travel to certain areas. Woodstock NB is just a small town, with no big sightseeing spots. There is a nature trail near the HJ Motel in Woodstock NB. When I was travelling up to Woodstock NB from Saint John NB by bus, I spotted a bear cub by the side of the highway near Oromocto NB which is more populated and further south than Woodstock NB. I guess the message is if you plan on walking any nature trails in the summer around any smaller places in NB keep in mind that there are bears around no matter what anyone says to the contrary, Bears are dangerous opportunistic omnivores who are not so picky about what they eat. My stay at the HJ was uneventful but the coffee in my room was not so great. I have had coffee in many other Motel rooms that I did not throw away because it tasted "odd."

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank footloose888
Cambridge, NS
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We arrived at the hotel around 9:30 on June 30, 2011. We were greeted at the front desk by the Manager, Andy Kumar. He was very professional with our reservations as well as being friendly and helpful with information I wanted. My grandchildren wanted to get into the pool and he assured me that they had time to do so. Our room was very suitable for our needs and the grounds were well kept. All the staff we dealt with were also friendly and courteous. Their attitude made us feel happy and we liked it so much we stayed there again on June 8, 2011. We will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for the nice review. I'd like to borrow your time travel machine some time :)
British Columbia
Reviewed 9 July 2011

My room was clean and appeared to have been recently renovated. Staff was friendly. The continental breakfast was a little sparse, but overall I think my stay was a good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2011
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Stayed here one night when returning from Ontario. The room was large, and was clean. The bed was comfortable. The price was reasonable. We saw nothing wrong with it, and would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Thank K.C.NovaScotia
Hojowoodstock, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Woodstock NB, responded to this review, 9 May 2011
Thank you for your kind words and thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcome you back. Have a great summer!
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2011

Ugh, from the pink tinted television, to the saggy mattresses, this was the worst night ever. The rooms were clean but oozed of scuzziness. There was a snowstorm during the night, and when it stopped in the morning, we called the front desk and they told us to come down to the lobby (which is external to the rooms btw) and grab a shovel and shovel our own way out. My son had to shovel a path for guests to get down to the restauraunt to enjoy a stale continental breakfast. There is a pool, it is also external to the rooms, and the entire place was very humid. Everything was soaked and sopping wet with 2 inch puddles in places in which to tread through in order to get to the change rooms which had no hooks or shelves.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Best Western Plus Woodstock Hotel & Conference Centre
#3 of 4 in Woodstock
Ivey's Motor Lodge
Ivey's Motor Lodge
#1 of 3 in Houlton

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Woodstock NB? Share your experiences!