“Old fashioned comfort”

Ranked #1 of 3 Woodstock B&B and Inns
guelph
“Old fashioned comfort”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This establishment is a combination motel and restaurant located just off the Transcanada highway. We had read the reviews and it sounded like a good deal, plus we like to eat at the same place we stay to avoid fast food boredom. John Gyles and the attached Heino's German Cuisine were a fine example of getting away from the same old routine of chain motels and mcburgers. It is set on a hill overlooking the St John River and just outside the small town of Woodstock New Brunswick. The staff could not have been more pleasant and the ambiance was quaint in that the rooms and restaurant had an old European flavour. The restaurant reminded me of the older Hungarian restaurants in Toronto. There were no stuffed pheasants on the wall but there could have been. Our room was small with a comfortable double bed and an enormous "easychair" that was fun to try to escape from. The motel was full with a tour bus crowd, but our room was quiet, no highway noise or revelry noise from the bird dog group on the bus (they didn't bring their dogs). The sunset was beautiful, but nothing compared to the sun rising over the river valley the next day. Fall colours helped to encourage me to take several dozen photos. The bed was sweet, but if you don't like plastic pillow covers, bring your own pillows as we did. The restaurant was wonderful. Not only travelers, but many locals, who were friendly, and many German speaking which increased the ethnic flavour. Food was robust, tasty and meaty. I ordered the "small" Heino's platter. It had 5, count em, 5 slabs of meat of various species of farm beasts and piles of potatoes and veggies. I could not finish, and I eat a lot. I thought I received the "large" platter in error, but the waitress assured me with an understanding smile that "large" meant large and pointed one out at another table. Huge would be a better descriptor, and I had an instant respect for the fellow tucking in. Regardless, our meals were delicious. The wine was good and at a perfect temperature. We did not try the famous breakfast, being still too replete from the night's repast. All in all, a good experience and we would return. Oh, and the price was right, very reasonable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ronbo_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My work crew and I stayed here for a night while in Woodstock working. Apparently the food in the restaurant is wonderful, we heard others that were leaving saying it was, however we didn't eat there so I can't comment directly on that. What I can say is if you're looking for a place to stay, look ANYWHERE else. The beds are hard as rock, the pillows are made of plastic and crinkle everytime you move and getting a shower is a constant battle of getting scalded and then frozen by the water.

We won't ever be back.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank AndrewFromNS
Montreal
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My sister, 5 year old niece and I reserved two dates at the hotel, once for the trip down to Nova Scotia and once for the return to Montreal. We provided them with my sister's credit card to hold the reservations. On the way down, we realized we would arrive a little late and called to let them know. It was 8:30 by the time we got there (it's quite a distance from the Woodstock exit). We had been told that the dining room closed at 8;00 but they would keep it open if they knew we wanted to eat. We got into the dining room, which was air-conditioned to the point of freezing, and sat for 20 minutes before being given a menu (the waitress had them tucked under her arm and was chatting with the two gentlemen at a neighbouring table).We spent 60 dollars plus tip for the meal. The room was small, but clean and comfortable. We had a ferry to catch the next morning in Saint John but the breakfast was only served from 8:30 so we ate quickly and settled our bill ($25 plus tip). Before leaving, we said that on the return trip, our ferry only arrived at 7pm so we would have supper in Saint John and probably only arrive by 10 or 10:30 and asked if we should pay for that reservation right away. The woman assured us that it would be fine - the reservation was ours. Coming back, we opted to skip supper in Saint John and drive instead to Woodstock (20 kilometres past the hotel) to pick up a pizza and bring it back with us. We drove through driving rain on dark, unfamiliar roads posted with moose warnings, so we took it easy. We arrived at the hotel at 10:30 only to be told that they had given away our reservation! They found us a room at a hotel 40 kilometres away and $40 more expensive. The woman said that if we were to ever come back she would....and then didn't finish her sentence. How about a free meal or offering the difference in price for the other hotel? Nope. We got to the other hotel at midnight with a starving 5 year old and cardboard cold pizza. We will not return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MontrealLindy
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were traveling from Bangor Me to PEI and had scheduled a stay at John Gyles Motor Inn. The only problem was our flight was 2 hours late and we did not arrive until after midnight. We called ahead and the Inn keepers stayed up for us. It was so nice for the to wait on us. You might say they "Left the light on for us" The room was clean, comfortable and half price of others in the area. I will stop again when the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark P
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2013

If you are traveling through New Brunswick, this motel is an excellent place to spend a night (or more). It is only a minute off the TransCanada highway, on a beautiful site overlooking the St. John river. It is far enough from the highway to be quiet; I enjoyed a very sound sleep. The rooms are on the small side, but very clean, comfortable and in good condition. There is a mini-fridge in each room, a must if you travel with a cooler full of food, as I do. But the treasure of this motel is the restaurant,"Heino's German Cuisine", a major attraction in the Woodstock area. I did not arrive until 9 p.m., but was still able to order dinner. Heino never lets guests go to bed hungry. The food is very tasty; I can vouch for the quality of both the sauerbraten and the roast beef. Be sure to leave room for dessert, because Heino has a repertoire of cakes that is truly stunning, all made from scratch in his kitchen. (Both the Black Forest cake and the Amaretto cheesecake are fabulous.) Breakfast is served to guests from 8 to 10 a.m., but I like an early start and departed at 7 a.m., so I never sampled the breakfast fare. I plan to stop here regularly; it was thorougnly refreshing.

Room Tip: All the rooms appear to be equally good, although the upper floor would have a better view of the ri...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bill M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Stayed at the John Gyles recently. The rooms were not exceptional, but they were clean. What really is fantastic are the meals. They serve breakfast to room guests, and supper to both guests and non-guests. Our dinners were extremely delicious and good portions. But breakfast is the star of the restaurant. Home-fried potatoes like my father used to make, bacon that is all taste and NO fat, and rye bread so good that we made a detour to visit the bakery near port Elgin! Everything was also reasonably priced. Sorry if I got side-tracked on the food, but I will remember these meals in the depths of winter.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Donna P
Guildford,UK
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We chose this motel as a convenient overnight stop before crossing the border to USA. Our main consideration was that it had a restaurant which is open on Sunday evening - although there are hotels in Woodstock, I wasn't sure if we would be able to get dinner on a Sunday after a day's travelling. We were in luck - we had an excellent dinner and breakfast. The motel room was very pleasant, if a bit dated, and included air-conditioner, fridge, table and chairs, and armchair. Unfortunately though, we couldn't get the wi-fi to work . The motel is well signposted off the Trans Canada Highway, south of Woodstock.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Canada's Best Value Inn & Suites Woodstock
#1 of 1 in Jacksonville
Stiles Motel
Stiles Motel
#3 of 4 in Woodstock

Been to John Gyles Music Room & Inn? Share your experiences!