“If you're looking for value in a skiing trip, this is it.”

Auberge Mont-Habitant
Montreal
“If you're looking for value in a skiing trip, this is it.”
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Apparently this is not a luxury hotel where you want to spend lots of time in the room. But if you're heading to the mountains for skiing or outdoor activities and don't want to spend a fortune on accommodation, this hotel is a good choice for its value.

The bathroom may need some upgrade or renovation, and it'd be nice to have an alarm clock, but the bedroom is spacious, clean and quiet, with a very nice view of the mountains. You also have a kitchen with a microwave, coffee maker and utensils. If you have kids, upgrading to a room with fireplace will certainly give them lots of fun. But be sure to be there to keep an eye on the fire.

I spent 3 days there with free skiing for children and 25% off on daily packages. You can put on your boots in the comfort of your room and head right to the lifts. And of course you also have the luxury of heading back to your room for a cup of coffee to warm yourself up and stretch your toes...

And don't forget to ask the staff any questions about local restaurants, shops and attractions. I got very good recommendations.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank loupedin

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ottawa
Reviewed 5 November 2009

The auberge is literally a 1 min walk from the lifts. Kids under 13 ski free when you rent a room. Snow is always in good shape (been there 3 years in a row). Hill is perfect for kids who are beginner to intermediate skiiers- ski hill has nice atmosphere- friendly staff- very short waits at the lifts. You can get lots of skiing in on one day- it is a quick walk to go back to your room for lunch and little snooze before you head out again in the afternoon or the evening.

Auberge is very basic- but clean and quiet and with a great view of the hill.Check with staff what kitchen/cooking supplies you might need (that is apparently changing this year since they are doing some upgrading)- but with a little advance planning you can make most things. Fireplaces are great- wood provided. Kids under 13 ski for free when you rent a room- and there is a stay and ski package that makes the whole thing pretty inexpensive. Two adults and 2 kids can stay 2 nights and ski 2 days (plus the evening of the day you arrive) for about $320!! (And if you have more kids but they can fit in the room with you- there is no extra charge!!) Just try to beat that deal anywhere else.(At the nearby St.Saveur ski hill it will cost a family of 5 $200 just for the lift passes for ONE day skiing)
The nearby village of St. Saveur is very picturesque- has great shopping and lots of restaurants.
I am almost reluctant to tell people about this place for fear it becomes too popular and I can't get a reservation when I need one- of course it is not for people who like luxury- but for families on a budget- it is a cheap way to make great skiing memories. Have fun!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank SkiFamily5Ottawa
Montreal
Reviewed 15 March 2009

The circumstances under which we booked this hotel was very rushed and last minute. So our search for a hotel on-line was not exhaustive. We knew we were going to Mont-Habitant to ski (we were meeting people the next day there) so we wanted to be close. I saw places like Manoir Saint Sauveur which were over $200 night, but I decided the for the time we were spending actually in the room, why spend the money.) I saw that there was a hotel on the Mont Habitant resort, but I was concerned that I could not find any photos, not even on Mont Habitant’s website itself. So my first thought was ‘this is not a good sign’. But we decided to jump in anyway, for the sake of proximity and price. They offered $99.00 a night (we upgraded to a fireplace room which took us to $139.00). They offer 25% off Mont Habitant skiing per day, ask for vouchers at the office. The staff is very friendly at he desk, but we were not there long enough to experience the service in the room.
Upon arrival, one sees that the motel is very close to the ski hill. The parking lot faces the rooms, and there is an office where you check in, and can find local information. The office closes at 10:30pm. Something to know for those who want to start a fire in the fireplace – they sell the kindling, but access to it also ends at 10:30pm.
Opening the door to Room 106, the entry immediately revealed steel folding chairs propped against the wall in a closet area near the door. Not the greatest first impression. One of those tough floors on the entry, which reminds you that they are probably very aware that skiers come tramping in with their ski boots on. Quite old 60s or 70s type of dresser drawer furniture. In the evening this basic accommodation looked very basic indeed, almost barracks-like. The walls are painted cement blocks which added to that barracks feeling, however, it assured me that I would not be hearing the neighbours. Everything was clean, we were happy to have a working fireplace (with wood in the room), no issue with heating, certainly no issue with how much hot water could be produced at one time (I had a long soak in the tub after our night skiing). The beds were comfortable however they should provide an extra blanket – I didn’t need it but my husband would have liked it. There was a tv and a telephone, which we never used. I mention these things because I have stayed in quite nice ski lodges in the past that did not have either.
There is a kitchenette which is stocked with dishes, glasses, pots and pans, dishwashing liquid, etc. The fridge came in handy for our bottle of wine. We brought our own picnic style wine glasses and corkscrew so don’t ask if that was there, I did not need to look. I do not recall seeing wine glasses.
Amenities: soap was the only bathroom amenity, so bring your own shampoo. And bring your own hair dryer.
That evening, we really appreciated the charm of the fireplace, but without the kindling we created our own – a tourism brochure, a bunch of receipts and some tissues did the trick (management, put a bit of kindling in the rooms! All those logs provided and no kindling.) We got back from our restaurant late (we skied until 10:15pm (the hill closed at 10:30pm) and then went to supper at Biftheque where we managed to dine on Caesar’s Salad and shrimp cocktail and deserts – nothing cooked at that stage.) We had picked up a bottle of wine earlier, so we really enjoyed the fireplace after our dinner – it was a perfect winter evening. More expensive rooms that I checked out on the internet would not have provided this.
But the morning is where the true glory of this room came out. Opening the curtains revealed a wall full of windows, and a door to a balcony, which faced onto a large hill/mountain in the distance, a frozen lake, and lots of trees (some surrounding a swimming pool covered in snow – another amenity of the hotel). It was a postcard scene. You could look to the left and see the ski hill very close. It was wonderful to be so close. I came to appreciate our basic little room more. Our car parked in the hotel lot was closer than any car in the ski hill lot – that was handy. It was wonderful to be so close to the hill and be one of the first ones to enjoy the newly groomed hill.
I would come back to this hotel in a second. Yes, they could re-arrange a few things, add some decorative touches and have a nicer room. But it did the job and we had a good time there.

Note about food: the restaurant is the one at the Mont Habitant ski resort close by.

One thing that I will contribute to those looking for information: photos! I would have appreciated this when I did my search.

A note to my rating - this is very good for a two star hotel. I was really tempted to rate it average because of the old furniture, steel folding chairs propped by the door, and lack of updated decor, however the view, the fireplace, the convenience of a kitchenette, and the comfort level made it work in other ways. Great for families, obviously great for those skiing at Mont Habitant.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Saint Sauveur des Monts
Auberge Sous l'Edredon
Auberge Sous l'Edredon
#1 of 7 in Saint Sauveur des Monts

Been to Auberge Mont-Habitant? Share your experiences!