“Auberge du Coq - By Miles the Best in Mont Tremblant”

Auberge du Coq de Montagne
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Mont Tremblant
Reviewed 2 March 2011

This was my third year at the Auberge du Coq de Montagne and I feel Tripadvisor Forum members should know about this gem. I had no idea what to expect the first time I stayed there. It’s in the old village and isn’t a run of the mill chain hotel like you get at the mountain base. From Montreal an hour and a half drive and you’re amidst the mountains and the most wonderful scenery.

I can’t praise Auberge du Coq highly enough. The owners, Kay and Nino, look after every wish their guests express. That’s why once you’ve stayed there, it’s like going back to personal friends. Guests return year after year – some for over 20 years. That alone tells one how good it is. Couples, families, teams, everyone.

And what can one say about the food? Gourmet is the only word that springs to mind. If you really love your food and a wide choice for every course, this is where you have to be. The whole dining experience is fabulous and at such inexpensive prices. Dining is open to everyone, hotel guests and others. In summer there is dining on a terrace which sits right over the lake and their service is superb. There's also a large bar area with everything you could want - all types of drinks, atmosphere and exceptional service.

Bedrooms are large, well lit and well-appointed - with coffee makers, fridges & micros. There are great views and there is nothing you need that Kay and Nino won’t provide if you ask. All bedrooms are en suite and there is secure parking for 15-20 cars in the hotel as it has its own long driveway off the road. But if you don’t have your own transport, that’s easy too. The shuttle bus stop is less than 2 minute’s walk from the Auberge. It goes to the mountain in 7 minutes and into the nearest small town of St Jovite in under 15.

Auberge du Coq is situated right beside/on top of Lake Moore so in summer it’s just steps to swimming, boating & all water activities. Guests also have use of a free sauna in the hotel. There are great walks and cycle trails. In winter there’s a skating rink on your doorstep and skiing minutes away.

Kay and Nino Faragalli never advertise so I felt that I absolutely had to let Tripadvisor members know about this gem. I always check Tripadvisor forums before going anywhere and I know there are thousands of you out there who do the same. So if you’re going for 2 weeks, 1 week or just a short trip, you’ll be made so very welcome for a really reasonable price. Go for it. Email: aubergeducoq@cil.qc.ca.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank zigzag2

Reviewed 24 February 2011

I stayed here in Feb 2011, visiting my son who was in Canada for 3 months. the location is perfect for Mont Tremblanc, just a 10 min bus ride, you are situated on a private lake with ice skating available. Nino and Kay are the friendliest pepole you could ever wish to stay with, they make a point of introducing you to other guests most of whom return on a regular basis. The rooms do not have all the mod cons but they are more than adaquate for a basic room, the communal areas are homely, having stayed here i wouldn't stay anywhere else if visiting Canada again. You must try the evening meals, even the locals come to eat here!

If you are looking for a stylish, luxury room with a formal environment (or a suite for your honeymoon) where you are treated as an unknown guest, this is not the place for you!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Sally190730
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We were looking for economical overnight accommodations for exploring the usually-pricy Mont Tremblant area, and to bike at least part of the near-by Le P'tit Train du Nord. The on-line reviews for Auberge du Coq de Montagne left me unsure of what to expect, but what the heck, we took the chance.

Well, this place ought to be booked solid, and crawling with bikers all summer long. No, it is not fancy, or especially modern or conventionally commercial. If you need those things, look elsewhere. Instead we found serviceable (if basic) older rooms. For a steal of a price. The property may be showing some signs of age, but everything was scrupulously clean, comfortable and well-appointed.

The owners, Nino and Kay were delightful, as was their very fine cooking. Our host's conversational style had all the guests that weekend feeling like new friends having a vacation together.

I can't say enough about the setting, right on pristine Moore Lake - very beautiful with sublime swimming (or canoeing, if you prefer). No motor craft to threaten your safety. Bliss.

The nearly-adjacent 200 km bicycle path (called Le P'tit Train du Nord) is a treat for bikers of any stripe: serious spandex types, bike-campers or families with kids. The famed Mont Tremblant resort area is minutes away by car, so you could have both worlds if you wanted. We had more fun just noodling around the old village, the bike trail, and swimming in lake Moore.

It's rare to find real people who take this much pride in being hospitable – without contributing to the despoilment of a beautiful natural area. If those qualities appeal to you, bring your business here.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank islander003
Reviewed 5 March 2010

My partner and I were going to have a nice week-end in Mt-Tremblant for Valentine's day. We're not picky people and this little place seem it would be just fine.

Upon arrival we received our keys and once we entered our room (basically the room was a bed with little room to walk around) we thought it was a misunderstanding. When we went downstairs to investigate the owner started telling us we were liars, was VERY rude with us. We decided to talk to the lady with whom we spoke over the phone. She was quite nice and apologetic of her husbads BAD behavior. Her husband kept pointing his finger in our face and poking our chest with it. He might have been drunk for all I know, but in all my travels i have NEVER seen such bad hospitality. We decided to leave the place right away as he was so rude and borderline threatning.

NOT RECOMMANDING this place! Even if the lady was a sweetheart....

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank globetrotter2482
Reviewed 6 January 2009

we have been going to this inn since 1995. Nino and Kay make us feel like family, so much so that we often call on the years we don't go just to say hi. sure the rooms are not as modern as some but the atmosphere , the food and the friendliness of the family cannot be beat. many of the guests are regulars and Nino always has lots of stories to tell ...you can't beat their mussels, or their fireplace.
Nicky Morgan and Fred Lee

Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank nmfoxtrot
Reviewed 24 March 2008

We were there for Easter 2008. 3 Days off, and we needed a cheap place to stay in Mont Tremblant. This is difficult to find near Tremblant.

The hosts were very nice but we were disappointed by the old-fashioned decoration of the rooms. It looked like my grandma's old house.

Cleanliness was not perfect too. And as Easter was a busy week end, we were asked to leave at 10am instead of 12am. We just learned that at 9:35am and the cleaning staff was waiting just behide our door.

At least the owner and its incredible collection of coqs was sympathetic !

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
coq, Owner at Auberge du Coq de Montagne, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2010

I received a letter from a guest telling me about two articles in Trip Advisor.This response is for the persons who are viewing your reviews and is my owner's opinion.I guess we were a cheap place to stay but I am sure for the price, they received their worth (Inexpensive).They do say the hosts are very nice .But they did not like the decorations.We have some very antique furniture, some being 450 years old .There are guests who like it and others do not.
The time of departure in the winter is regularly 10:30 AM but that particular day it could have happened that the cleaning ladies asked if they could do the room at 10:00 AM .Yes I do have a superb collection of roosters and in French it is coqs .These roosters were sent as gifts from all around the world by guests who visited here during the last 34 years of operation and true, they are everywhere.
The word "sypathetic"in French does not mean the same in English. It really means very pleasurable, and those guests, being from France, I do expect for them to like the rooster collection as that is their national emblem. Our hotel is an Auberge it isn't like most standared chain hotel accomodations.sincerely yours the owner

Reviewed 4 February 2008

This place was amazing. Unique and fun. The service was great and the food was better then most fine dining I've had with good portions and excellent taste that one guest told me was true Italian food and that she should know because she was Italian. The owners are there Nino and Kay and they are very entertaining, I didn't feel like I was on vacation to somewhere I had never been I felt like it was an excellent chalet I had been coming to for years. Even if you don't stay here you should eat here its not expensive around.. 10 to 25 for an entree but its so good.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business