“Perfect place to relax, eat well and enjoy the outdoors”

Auberge La Porte Rouge
Ranked #9 of 21 Mont Tremblant B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2011

The rooms are spacious and well appointed, the view is sensational, the staff is charming and the food is great. What more could you ask for? If you want to go to the France but don't have the time or money, a trip to the Laurentians is a great alternative and Auberge La Porte Rouge is the perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: The superior rooms have double whirlpool tubs with great view of the lake (Lac Mercier).
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Excellent hotel. We travelled the bike path and stayed one night in Auberge La Porte
Rouge. Very friendly staff, even had a room to put your bike inside overnight. The food in their restaurant was excellent!! Our room had a great view with a balcony.
When returning to this area would certainly book my stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2011

After staying at La Porte Rouge for four consecutive years, I thought it was time to write a review of the Augerge which is reflective of our experiences over this time period.

We have travelled throughout the world. We have been skiers for innumerable years. La Porte Rouge captures the ambience of l'ancien village de Mont Tremblant while meeting the expectations of those who associate Mont Tremblant with the Intrawest culture.

I should note at this point, that we feel that when we visit a culture where English is not spoken, we feel obligated to communicate in the language inherent to the community ... "when in Rome do as the Romans do." The fact that all the employees of La Porte Rouge are fluently bilingual is a "bonus" in our opinion, for visitors to Quebec. More significantly, all the employees strive to meet the needs of their guests, regardless of culture/language spoken. Bravo!

La Porte Rouge accomodations are simple but very, very, clean. One can quibble about details, but don't forget the forest for the trees: L'Augberge Porte Rouge doesn't claim to be a 5* "resort:" what it does offer is experienced, friendly, attentive staff and, if one is a skier, particulary efficient rooms. What more could one ask?

La Porte Rouge has an answer to the latter question: some very fine dining. A new chef this season has taken the dining experience to a new level. Combine chef's artistry and creativity with a pricing which is incomparable and La Porte Rouge offers incredible value for one's money.

Yes, there are menu items which are "optional" and more expensive ... but think about the reality of their situation ... one cannot offer a complete 5* Michelin menu at the price being charged by La Porte Rouge. Le nouveau chef est formidable. Forget about "buying up" on the menu: his daily offerings, in combination with his presentation, reflect the oustanding value offered by the Augerge.

La Porte Rouge is a hidden gem amongst the Intrawest "vibe." We highly recommend it to one and all.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmrr
Reviewed 21 January 2011

My girlfriend and I went here for a romantic getaway and boy were we happy that we found this place!
We stayed in the luxurious rooms which were very comfortable. The food was excellent! I love french fine cuisine and they know how to cook up a mean meal!

All in all we had a very relaxing time and we have recommended this place to all our friends.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PJlee
Reviewed 14 January 2011

So I didn't know what to expect when looking at this place, in particular about the all-inclusive food being nouvelle-cuisine. We were there in Chalet D for the Christmas holidays and had an excellent stay. Our cabin was one bedroom, full kitchen, fireplace (with new wood preloaded every day I might add), one bathroom. The place itself is fine and the room service is great. It's a bit outdated and all but the price more than makes up for it when you compare to the similars.

As to the food, here is a list I just put together to give you a look at the type of stuff they serve. If I were to sum up the food I would say that they try very hard to be elegant and elevated in their cuisine, they often mess up the small things. For example you might get yourself a plate of deer osso bucco and have that be completely great, although the potatoes on the plate are way undercooked. If you can't cook potatoes right, should you be messing around with venison, duck, frog legs, etc?

The salads were also woefully underdressed and oily (not enough vinegar in the mixes). Anyway, here is the list I compiled to give you an idea.

You always get the soup of the day, no choice. 4 choices of appetizer (1 you pay more for, and for our entire stay that was an extra $13 for foie gras). I believe 5 choices of main meal, with 1 being extra ($8 extra for the beef tenderloin). 4 choices for dessert (1 being extra, the creme brule for $4 or 5).

soups:

cream of onion (good soup)
cream of colliflower & oka chees (all 5 of us agreed this was the best soup, excellent)
sweet potato (great soup)

appetizers:

frog legs (two of us thought they were terrible)
foie gras (extra cost $13)
different salad every night (terrible for the most part, badly underdressed and overly oily without the vinegar)
escargot (was very good)

sea bream (excellent fish, I enjoyed it. almost like a halibut)
tilapia something (my brother liked it, decent white fish)
beef bourgignon (solid. good)
duck breast (was FANTASTIC)
scallops (was FANTASTIC)
deer osso bocco (believe it was good, friend had it)
Traditional Christmas Dinner (brother had it twice and enjoyed it)
pork flank (was tasty, very similar to a nice pulled pork)
chicken drumsticks (two of us disliked it bigtime)
beef tenderloin (extra cost $8)

desserts:

almond tartlet (i liked it and got it twice)
cheese plate (wife got this 3 times. was oka 3 times and blue cheese once. she got the 3 oka nights and the piece of cheese got smaller and smaller each time, weird)
chocolate mousse & blackberries (was good)
fruit trifle (my friend got it twice and loved it)
creme brule (extra cost $4, none of us tried it)

I'm forgetting a bunch of these, but that will give you a good idea of what's up with the menu. The review below mine...ridiculous. The menus CLEARLY state that you will pay more if you order the "extras" on the menu. In our case foie gras, beef steak and creme brule. I have no idea how they screwed that one up but disregard their comments. There are no surprises, just have to be able to read. I don't necessarily agree with the practice of charging extra for these things (creme brule being an extra $4 or 5 when I've technically already paid for my dessert?), but be that as it may, it was clearly stated.

The english spoken at Porte Rouge is mostly excellent. One night we had a very french lady who really spoke none, but they asked us as we came in if it was ok (and it was, I understand it).

As for breakfasts, it was very good, but I would suggest you get there at the crack of dawn if you want to eat quickly and hit the hill for the 8:30 opening. They open at 7:30 but we found we could waltz in at 7:20 with no problems and get served immediately. They even provided a boxed breakfast one morning when we were in a particular hurry, so that was very accommodating of them. You can select from the typical breakfasts known to most in Canada and the US: french toast, bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, pancakes, etc. You can also order the "extra" breakfast like you can at night, for extra cost. Again this is clearly stated.

Porte rouge is within easy walking distance of most of the village (depanneur and Boni Choix are just down the road, so quite nice for picking up a few extras). I would suggest you do your shopping in Saint Jovite which is on the way to Tremblant and about 10 minutes away from the old village. Much cheaper than Boni Choix, but you will find it will be a lot more francophone, so be aware of the language barrier.

As a whole I would certainly stay there again. Excellent surroundings, proximity to the mountain, friendly staff, for the mostpart excellent food (in our 5 opinions over 4 days and nights). Hopefully my review will help clear up some of the cloudiness surrounding their food offerings.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jarvis777
Reviewed 13 January 2011

The hotel is lovely, and cozy, the rooms are quite nice. The staff make this hotel standout.
We had gotten the package which included breakfast and supper; at both times, we were
asked for an extra 10.00 dollars, even though we had been assured it was an all-inclusive. After my questioning the staff, they said it was the cost of the lamb and the eggs.
Though we complained about the wapiti (elk) as it was so though, I could not eat it, I was
offered a 2.00 refund! That was hilarious, since I had just paid the extra 10.00..

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 51pinky
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Prior to going to Auberge La Porte Rouge I read the reviews on Trip Advisor. Many of them commented on the friendly staff. I must say those comments are certainly true. I have never been made to feel so welcome as when we checked in. The ladies were friendly and helpful with suggestions on getting to the ski village. Dinner was included and we enjoyed excellent service by J.P. I had a wonderful dinner of cream of onion soup, fresh garden salad and deer osso bucco. Almond tartlet for dessert. Wonderful location beside a lake. Our large room overlooking the lake was warmed by a gas fireplace - very cozy and relaxing. We were just a short drive from all the excitement and commotion of the ski hill. I highly recommend this gem in the old village for those who would enjoy a quieter evening and a more relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple