“Small things add up!”

Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Mont Tremblant
East Kilbride, UK
“Small things add up!”
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Started well. Had booked a one bed with loft but stairs not at all suitable for our two year old so were moved quickly to a one bed room with two queen(?) size beds. Really small bedroom but much better living space for us. During stay I found the front staff friendly and helpful unlike some before. Rooms fine - basic and a little tired with almost a complete lack of cooking utensils e.g. no kitchen knife, so with our mainly eat in group this made life a little awkward. In fact a friend had some stuff taken from their kitchen during the stay, I presume to cater for another guest's request! Small thing.

Great location, 50m from snow but this can also be a problem as the rooms often overlook the main square as ours did which can remain noisy until late. Small thing.

Breakfast good (agree a bit with previous fake egg comments) but room small so take it back to your room, this is even recommended by the hotel. People have commented previously about the staff and this is where my biggest problem began and apologies for the little story coming! We have a young child, I'm going up and down with several trays of cereal, then coffee and milk for the baby's bottle (he is allowed breakfast since he paid for it!), plus toast and cooked breakfast......trays are small, by the way, I'm not that greedy! Seems to me a good idea to take a jug of milk so I don't spill then split it in room. Not to the staff however. Confronts me in breakfast room. I explain the situation. She loses it, shouting (and I really mean shouting) at me that I am stealing milk and that because of me no-one will have milk tomorrow! I tell her (quietly) to be reasonable and to please not tell me I'm stealing, I am paying for breakfast. This seems to break the camel's back, she goes into orbit, chases me out the room demanding that I buy my milk from the General Store from now on. It's milk for Christs sake, reported it to front desk, no action, breakfast room staff scowl at me from now on. Small thing but really upsetting, many people would just have decked her for speaking to me like that in front of other guests.

Room also smelled terribly of cooking fat. I guess the ventilation system is shared with Le Shack downstairs and it spills back into the rooms. We had washed all our stuff before returning but have rewashed everything because it really stinks! Small thing.

Overall this place is cheap and cheerful (normally). Don't expect much from the facilities because you ain't paying much for them. Because of all the small things I wouldn't go back. Have stayed in the Marriott in Tremblant found it much better (Fairmont not worth it, stayed there four times). Won't stay here again, hassles just don't make up for it.

Watch out for the wicked witch in the breakfast room...........

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Korean first
Kingston
Reviewed 25 January 2010

A frequent skiier all around Canada, often I've vacationed to Tremblant with family and friends. My second stay here at the Hilton Homewood Suites, I was completely taken offguard by my experience. Traveling only with friends, I felt as though the hotel took advantage of me.

First, when our toilet underwent a sewage backup, it took repeated calling over 3 hours before two security guards ventured up to clean up the mess. Or should I rephrase that because they didn't even bother to clean up the sewage deposits covering the floor of the bathroom and bedroom. Instead they fixed the toilet (thanks), and snooped around the room making rude remarks. Outrageous! Frustrated and confused, we stayed in the smelly room, cleaning up the mess ourselves with the towels provided, leaving us with none (again..thanks).

Later that evening we invited a couple of friends over and the same two security guards barged in, without waiting for us to open the door, and shouted "too many people in the room, get out". I spoke with the security guards, simply suggesting that they could have just asked "hey guys, you cant have this many people in the room, please leave thank you". Some service and respect, if you will. I understand completely that a room full of people may get a rowdy and a noise complaint is expected, however the $50 fine the next day was not. Unaware of the room number policy, we were on top charged for abiding the security guards and clearing the room, thus eliminating the noise problem (which...was it?).

I remember traveling numerous times to places like Tremblant and gathering in one room to eat and hang out, all family and friends. Never have I ever been charged for it. If anything, it was a warning before anything else. Upon confrontation with the hotel service, they simply dismissed my claims and I felt at a complete loss. As a student who can be quite aggreable and approachable, the prejudice I felt leaves me angry and frustrated. I highly recommend that you do not stay at the suites if you are a student like me, or even if your traveling with family and friends because the service was awful, and I would seriously like to see those two security guards charged the $50 instead of me.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank outrageouslyawful
Reviewed 19 January 2010

Great location for skiing and for village shopping. We had 5 rooms and everyone was more than happy with their accomodations. We used one of the rooms as the gathering place for dinner, lunch and snacks. It worked out well. Saved a ton of money for meals by cooking in and skiing back for lunch. Rooms were clean and comfy. The 2nd bedroom in the 2 bedroom unit is small with just enough room for the queensize bed and a small night stand, but it was just fine! Staff was friendly and helpful. Hot breakfast is included. We were given passes for First tracks, ice skating and tubing, a very nice perk. There is a large hot tub- more like a large heated pool this is nice for soaking after a long day of skiing. There are plenty of restaurants steps away.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank SkiBug5
Washington, DC
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Reviewers here are confusing hotel class (this is a 3 star) and tripadvisor Rating (4 star). I stayed here in March 2008, and mostly on the basis of value and location I too give this hotel a 4 star rating. It is a 3 star hotel -- it doesn't cost much for a ski-in/ski-out location at this lovely resort, you get a nice basic condo arrangement. Hint: try hard to get the full 2 bedroom units -- all the others will feel cramped unless you have only 1 kid, or just a couple of very small kids, or really all like each other very much). As a condo-type hotel, it is a do-it-yourself experience. No bellhops, no room service -- like ALL Homewood Suites.

As Homewood Suites go, it is among the worst I have stayed at: older, smaller breakfast room relative to size, no indoor pool, more stressed & cranky staff. But the other Homewood Suites I have stayed at were in relatively boring suburban settings -- this is in the center of a resort area. And most other condos at Mont Tremblant don't come with ANY free breakfast, however dismal. We made sure to stop on the drive from Montreal and buy basic groceries -- coffee, milk, juice, eggs, bread -- because you get a kitchen and can supplement your stuff with butter, jam, salt, ketchup, etc. from the breakfast room.

If you want a 4 star hotel -- book the Fairmont but know that it will cost at least double (or triple if you add parking, internet, hotel restaurant & tips). I sort of concluded that I would rather be at the Fairmont. But the price difference is really huge. (And the people staying there, for all that money, also complain about the service not being up to snuff.) SO -- if you like the location right in front of the ski lifts, choose: budget price and do-it-yourself, or double the price and more service. Simple.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank RCWashington
Toronto
Reviewed 23 December 2009

I don't know how they call it a 4 star. While the rooms are comfortable, the service is horrible. Our rooms were "cleaned" at random times (once at 5 pm, quite awkward).
The hot tub was great (when it worked properly), though sometimes there weren't any towels.
If you are expecting a nice breakfast, think again. The breakfast was HORRIBLE. The "eggs" were fake, and sometimes their was no cutlery. The vegetarian option (for both breakfast and snack) is a hit or miss.
When considering this place against the others please rank it as a 2.5 star.
We have stayed at the St. Bernard and had a better experience for a cheaper price (granted there wasn't a breakfast to complain about). If you don't mind cooking your own breakfast (ie. toasting your own bread) go for a cheaper (and better) option.
Otherwise expect poor service for a 4 star price.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Longueuil, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights in September '09. We got a great rate for a one-bedroom at $143 a night, plus $10 inside parking, and we got Airmiles for our stay. The location of the Hotel is fantastic, as you can easily return to your suite to add a sweater or drop packages, etc. The floors have strange hallway lay-outs, but it easily learned. Upon arrival, we requested a suite change, as there were dirty dishes in the cupboard and a few other things that were not up to par. We were given suite 208 above the pool and spa, which was accomodating. The fireplace logs are $5 each plus tax, so it is better to just stop at Canadian Tire in St-Jovite on the way and buy a box of them. I suggest picking up any provisions you may want in St-Jovite, as well. There is a SAQ near the hotel to purchase wine/alchohol and lots of shops for snacks, trinkets and chocolate. Everything has elevated prices.

Breakfast at the hotel was adequate, with hot and cold selections that altered daily. I calculated seating for at least 40+ people. We wondered why they had apples from New Zealand in the fruit basket ... in Quebec, in September, during the height of apple season. The suite was kept clean by the maids and the staff was, for the most part, friendly.

We had fun on the luge ride and bought the unlimited day access on the gondola up the mountain, which included a lunch. Forget it! It was a soda, a bag of chips and a pre-packaged sandwich like the ones in a vending machine. The view was beautiful and the fall foliage was beginning to change colors. We had a nice supper one night at "Spag & Co." at the bottom of the village. We also visited the Casino, which was ... well, a rip-off ... it is, after all, a casino!

On the whole, it was very nice and we will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2009

My husband and I stayed from 08/22/09 – 08/25/09. Because we were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary, we were given a room with an amazing view and for this we are very greatful. All the staff was very friendly and was eager to help. For example, we parked our car in the indoor parking (quite cheap by the way, 10$/day, tax included) after our check-in and got lost on our way back because our room was not accessible from the reception. The kind gentleman who had checked us in actually came out of the reception to point us in the right direction.

The hotel’s location is ideal, at the top of the village, right in front of the chair lifts and close to the stage where they have shows during the week-ends.

The room was beautiful and had everything you could ever need. We had stopped at St-Jovite to buy some groceries and were able to cook supper on our first night. We had pots and pans, dishes for 4, flatware, regular and wine glasses, colander, salad bowl, etc. We had a one room suite with a very soft and comfy queen bed. There were 2 flat screen TV’s. The bathroom is in 2 parts, there’s a sliding door dividing the bath/shower from the toilet section, which I thought was very practical. We used with no problems the free high speed internet acces available in our room. The only thing we didn’t like was that the cleaning staff cleaned our room quite late, between 4PM and 5PM.

I used the pool and Jacuzzi every day. The pool water was so hot, which was perfect I thought for this time of year since the August air is a little cooler.

We made it down to breakfast twice and it was a lot more elaborate than I expected. There was a lot more hot items than I thought there would be: eggs, like the one in an egg McMuffin, beans, bacon and French toast one day, sausages and some kind of morning burritos the other. The breakfast room staff was always available to hand out trays if you wanted to take your meal to your room, which is encouraged because the room is on the small side, and to constantly refill empty food trays.

Tremblant village is sooooo beautiful! It was our first time there and considering that we live an 1 ½ hour from there, it’s a shame we haven’t been here before. We will definitely return and when we do, it will be at the Homewood Suites.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple