“Just Can't Stay Away!”

JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Minett
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This magnificent resort is pricey but, as Torontonians, it is our favourite destination at home - head and shoulders above the other resorts that still exist in Muskoka. It is pricey, but the rooms and the bathrooms are all beautiful, the beds comfy and the view - from your room, if you're lucky enough to get one overlooking Lake Rosseau - or from the Cottages restaurant, the terrace, etc., is absolutely breaktaking! I'm sure it's stunning in all seasons. This visit, I started with a heavenly neck, shoulder and back massage in the fabulous spa. The RMT was very well-trained and professional. I recommend starting your holiday...and starting to wind down...this way! I had an excellent pedicure the last time we visited, and it was excellent too. However, I did feel ripped off that the spa/hotel automatically added an 18 per cent gratuity to the bill. I prefer my tips to be my decision. The spa's own smallish pool - reserved for guests using the spa - was not open yet, which was a bit disappointing. The staff said it should be open soon, pending a visit from the helalth inspector to give it the okay. The hotel's large indoor-outdoor pool was open, but we didn't use it (too many kids splashing and jumpng around!) The food is good at The Rosseau, although the rooms have very well-equipped little kitchenettes and you can save money by bringing your own ingredients for breakfast and/or lunch. Because it was our wedding anniversary and our daughter's 21st birthday, we ate in the Teca restaurant, which purports to be Italian. It's an elegant place, rather dark with no view. Our server didn't know what Campari was when we arrived, but she graciously went to the bartender and educated herself. However, the Campari and soda he poured was the weakest I've ever had. The delicious spaghetti with San Marzano tomatoes and veal meatballs tasted authentic and homemade. But the Caesar salad was non-descript and full of romaine spines. It should have been very special for the prices they charge! But those are small complaints. Overall, this third stay at The Rosseau was as great as the other two and we'll definitely come back. (A package at reduced rates would mean we'd stay even longer - maybe a week next time!) One other comment: the "Country Market" tuck shop should be open later than 4 p.m. for people who have left toothbrushes at home, need Tylenol, etc. But they're Illy coffee, little yogurt parfaits and muffins/mini pastries are a quick, cheaper alternative to the breakfast in Cottages which is amazing but expensive. Go!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lovinPV

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed here in April 2012 for a conference and it was incredible. Everything is new. The rooms were very spacious and decorated beautifully. I Would have been happy to stay in my room the entire time. Most of us, if not all, had studio rooms with a small kitchenette and soaker tub in the bathroom.

I didn't use the work out room as we had arranged to have a yoga teacher come in every day. The food was top notch.

I can't wait to go again next year.

Room Tip: Take a look at the website photos of rooms. The studio with kitchenette was fantastic. Great for 2 p...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Most of my reviews are positive, but sincerely, without a doubt, this place is magnificent! Was here this past weekend at a conference. It's pricey, but beautiful (and very clean and very new). The suites are very very spacious, granite everywhere, soaker tub, lovely shower with great water pressure! The balconies are great, Muskoka chairs everywhere! Beds (what usually makes or breaks my stay) were phenomenally comfortable - with 5 different pillows of varying softness! 2 widescreen TVs - 1 in the room, the other in the bedroom! The property is quite expansive and the height from the patio allows for a lovely vantage point of Lake Rosseau. The food is so tasty, service is great - there is always someone on-hand to serve you - very nice! The only downside I experienced was check-in. Because the rooms are so big, likely takes forever to clean, so you likely won't be able to check in until the official time of 4pm - if you are early, they do, however, have a place to store your luggage! Re: other amenities, they have a great pool and if you like to canoe, can rent canoe for $15/1 hour. There are also bikes and other activities.....there is also a spa that is supposed to amazing, but didn't get a chance to go. All in all, if you are looking for comfort, luxury and a venue that can work for either business or a romantic getaway - this is the spot to go to!!! Wish I was still there!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MB_7783
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We had a great stay here, but spoilt by two things. Firstly the cost of wi fi in each room is $15 per night - nowadays for a high class hotel one should expect free wifi. The spa is good, but again one feels ripped off by the 18% gratuity which is of course a tax not a gratuity.
Food excellent

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2012

stayed 2 nites at this spectecular resort, 2 1/2 hours north of Toronto. fantastic view, terrific and friendly staff. great facilities and services. the spa staff soon! and very clean, every where. F&B reasonably priced for a high-end resort.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We came by boat. I'm shocked they charged us to use their marina when we were guests at this over priced resort. It is over 160 steps up a hill. You are not near the water. It will be very hard on children and the elderly. The funny thing is some 50 steps up there is a restroom for handicapped but no ramps. It is all accessed by stares only.

Food is good but if your going with a family its really going to cost you more then your room! Summer time, forget it. 1000.00 plus a night on the weekend. It is just not worth it.

Room Tip: Don't get stuck with a room at the end of the building. Not only is it a long walk, the ice is a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ron K
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed at this amazing resort from May 9 - 11 and what a great experience. These people are clearly in the business of providing a true resort experience. As I drove up to the majestic resort I was greeted by a bellman more than willing to assist me with my luggage, after unloading I brought my car down to the lower parking lot where there was a shuttle waiting for me to give me a lift back up to the resort. This was much appreciated as the walk up to the front doors is quite long and steep.

Arrived at the front desk and was greeted warmly by Ashley who was extremely courteous and professional. Taking the time to tell me about the resort and the facilities that were operating, The check-in itself was very quick and I was off to my room. I was given a room on the second floor right beside the elevator and housekeeping closet. I was a little worried about this due to noise factor but the rooms are very well insulated and I heard nothing at all during my stay, The rooms themselves are SPOTLESS.. true JW quality. The room included a nice kitchenette, fireplace, hardwood floors, balcony, granite bathroom with standup shower and separate soaker tub (yes this is a standard room). Being a business traveller this was the most functional guest room I have had during my travels.

Heading back downstairs I was greeted again by the front desk and they wanted to ensure everything was good with my room (nice touch). I went to the lobby bar where Justin was creating some amazing cocktails! They use liquid nitrogen to put cool their cocktails and to provide an amazing show! Justin was very engaging and courteous and explained the entire process to me.

During my stay I ate at Cottages for breakfast were I was provided both amazing service and food. Anna, my server both mornings was great! Very pleasant and accomodating and truly was anticipating every need. Never had to wait on coffee or juice. She noticed I was dining by myself and brought me a newspaper. The food itself was great, never have I had eggs cooked so perfectly for an Eggs Benedict! Great experience.

For dinner I was usually doing work at the same time so I ordered room service.(had no menu in the room, this bothered me a bit) This is usually the shortfall of all hotels and resorts but I was pleasantly surprised. The young lady answered the phone and was able to answer any questions I had about the menu. Both nights the order was taken and quoted 30-45 minutes, but arrived both nights within 20. The food was nice and hot when it arrived and the young lady set it up for me at the dining room table in my room. She made sure to remind me when I added a tip to the bill that the tip was already included (most servers are not this honest). After about 10 minutes I got a call from the front desk just to make sure everything was ok and to see if I needed anything. Truly a first class experience! Better than the usual just drop the tray and sign the bill.

Overall, I would recommend this resort to just about anyone. Families, couples and business travellers. I really have nothing negative that I could say about this resort. They truly care about what they do and provide far more than expectations!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank WorkinTraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minett
Residence Inn by Marriott Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
#29 of 56 in Muskoka District
Comfort Inn Huntsville
Comfort Inn Huntsville
#4 of 18 in Huntsville

Been to JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!