“Gorgeous in the fall”

JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Minett
“Gorgeous in the fall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here to see the fall colors for a long weekend and it was so beautiful we got engaged here! The resort is huge with multiple buildings and pools. The pool was semi-heated but way too cold for the fall months. The room was nicely appointed, huge bathroom, and had a kitchenette. Its definitely a 4 star hotel. We were able to make a few meals and dine in the room. Our room had a great view but we also took advantage of sitting out in the common patio area and enjoying some hot chocolate with frangelico ( it's nice having that kitchen). We played the wii down in the game area and they have other activities which would be good for families. If you have trouble walking, it may be difficult to get around between the different buildings. I would like to go back in the summer to take advantage of the outdoor activities. We might go back for our 1 year anniversary.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Kleinburg, Ontario Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights beginning December 29, 2013, family of 4 (3 adults, 1 teenager). Was very pleased with the accommodations. We had 2 rooms, adjoining. One room with king bed and the second room with 2 queens. Each room was very well appointed with nice decor, comfortable beds, nice sized bathroom with robes and a kitchenette. The king room also had a gas fireplace and small sitting area. Staff are very polite and helpful throughout the resort. There was nightly entertainment in the main lobby area adjacent the bar/lounge which was a nice treat. Being winter we did not see much of the exterior of the resort and imagine it would be even nicer during warmer weather with many more activities available outdoors. We went for a swim in the indoor/outdoor pool. The hot tub was further away from the main pool area; a bit too far to reach in the cold winter weather so we did not try it. We did try the spa which is a beautful area with it's own hot tub (we were 2 femles in the female only part of the spa. Imagine the male only part also has a hot tub and believe there is also a couples only area within the spa)with an excellent view of Lake Rosseau; would definitely keep the resort in mind for a short weekend spa retreat. We had dinner at Teca, the Italian restaurant at the resort which was good. The staff are very attentive, the restaurant has a nice ambience with an open kitchen and nice decor. The resort offers a wide variety of activities for all ages in any season and we would definitely return for another stay. Probably would choose a different season in order to be able to enjoy the lake and the grounds. It is quite a beautiful area of Ontario and a very beautiful resort. Would definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: When reserving, if a lake view is preferred, these rooms are higher in price.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed in a one bedroom King suite for one night in January and wished we had booked a longer trip. We went for a swim in the heated outdoor pool and hot tub. There's something special about swimming outdoors with snow falling all around you, as the day comes to an end and the poolside lights turn on. We had breakfast and lunch at Cottages and had a super spunky waitress who was friendly and attentive and genuinely happy to accommodate minor substitution requests. Dinner was at Teca - the waitress was knowledgable and the food was outstanding.

The room: Gorgeous! We loved our room so much that when we go back we'll likely request the same room. The design and layout were well thought out. We particularly liked the convenient locations for the power outlets in the bedroom which allowed us to plug in our phones and other devices. The room was impeccably clean.

Service: Outstanding. From the moment we pulled up, our bags were carried inside and held until our room was ready, the front desk staff offered to call us when our room was ready, and wait staff in the restaurants were friendly and helpful.

Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor, corner suite. Since it was winter, we couldn't use the balcony bu...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chinalily12
Kati S, Manager at JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
We’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your kind words. We are very proud of those associates that make our resort exceptional enough to be on Conde Nast’s Gold List in Canada. See you again soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed at the resort this past weekend to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life in the city. Our stay here exceeded all expectations in terms of comfort, relaxation and service-- especially considering we used a Groupon to book our stay!

The staff at our late check-in were extremely polite and courteous and answered my multiple questions without any hesitation or attitude. This is a truly rare thing to come by at most hotels and was very much welcomed after our long drive! The staff at the check-in table were just as kind, polite and courteous throughout our stay and at check-out.

We received a complimentary upgrade because we were celebrating our anniversary which came as a pleasant surprise. Our room, 1302, could not have been more perfect. Discovering our luxurious and beautiful room on arrival made for an exciting start to our stay. The marble (I think) that runs through the kitchen and bathroom is stunning and beautiful. The layout of the room was very open and really we felt like we were staying in a luxury cottage due to the great decor choices. The fireplace was a wonderful touch and kept us warm whenever we sat in the living room. Additionally, the kitchen was extremely convenient and I was glad I had read up ahead and brought along our cereal and mac and cheese for lunch as it allowed us to use our resort credit towards dinner, snacks and beverages throughout our stay. I highly recommend everyone try to take advantage of the kitchen during their stay here. It is fully equipped, pots pans, a microwave, kettle, and stove-top as well as a dishwasher and fridge.

The chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne were a sweet touch as well and we really appreciated the switch of champagne to something else since we don't drink! A very classy and hospitable touch from the resort that meant a lot to us!

We took the guided snowshoe tour our first day at the resort. The walk around the resort grounds was well-paced (depends on your group I suppose) and thankfully, the weather was perfect. Had we stayed longer we would have definitely taken the snowshoes and gone exploring again ourselves. There is plenty of time for photos and beautiful scenery to take in while you snowshoe. It doesn't take much time to do and the guided tour gives three opportunities to head back in in case you get tired.

Dogsledding and snowmobiling are also two activities I would recommend taking advantage of during your stay here, although we didn't do them ourselves.

Night entertainment consisted of talented musicians/singers in the large, cozy and comfortable lounge/lobby area. There are many seating spaces to sit down and listen to the great talents the resort brings in as well as chess boards and tables where you can play your own board games or cards etc. -- I also highly recommend taking advantage of this space! Outdoors, there is a small bonfire constantly burning which is great to sit around and observe the stars from.

Our dinner at Cottages was much better than I had hoped since the buffet option was available. Initially, I had a hard time choosing whether to make a reservation at Teca or Cottages because the menus seemed a bit sparse. However, the buffet eliminated that problem all-together and we couldn't have been happier with our dinner! I am not sure how often this option is available though.

The only reason I held back from a five star rating was sleep quality for myself. While my husband can sleep through anything if tired enough, I simply could not ignore how thin the floors must've been between us and our neighbours above us. At times it sounded as though a herd of elephants were roaming above our heads into the late hours of the night and again during the day. This is no exaggeration! The curtain tracks shook and the ceiling creaked and it was truly disruptive. I don't know if they were particularly noisy people or if the floors were just poorly designed for noise control. I live in a condo and definitely do not hear every step my neighbours take as I did here.

In addition, be aware and factor in the resort fee and taxes which will appear on your bill at check-out. While we didn't mind too much since I had received prior warning over the phone, we had only been told of an approx. $59 fee whereas it added up to about $150. I can imagine this surprise expense will leave a bad impression on many guests as they check out and should be mentioned at check-in at least. Something worth changing.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at JW Marriott Rosseau and have already recommended it to family and friends. We may keep it in mind for future summer getaways to experience what the resort has to offer in the summer.

Room Tip: Corner suite means you won't have to hear each guest pass your room during your stay.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marwa K
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed at the JW during March so everything was frozen. It is located right on Lake Rosseau. We tried snow shoeing tour but it just went around the perimeter of the hotel. I wish we went more into the woods. We did the dog sledding which was a short 20-25 min ride. It was fun driving the sled. We also walked onto the frozen lake to the ice fishing hut.
The staff is fantastic and very friendly. We had great service at restaurant, lobby, activites and the service personnel. This is really world class service. For example my wife dropped a muffin that she bought and the shop sent a replacement one up to our room! I also loved the food at Teca restaurant. Its more expensive but worth it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gzau
Kati S, Manager at JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for your review. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. The winter offers so many activities, and it sounds like you were able to take advantage of many of them! Your comments and praise will be shared with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka.
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I'll start by saying this resort has great potential ! The staff is friendly and everyone we passed greeted us warmly.
We had a few issues at check in
where we were told our room was not ready we arrived at the appropriate check in time - no big deal they had another room available I didn't think to ask if it was comparable and they didn't offer the info we got to our room and unpacked - as I took a good look around we realized it was a smaller room than we had booked. I went to the front desk to inquire and they agreed that it indeed was but they did not advise or lower the rate to accommodate the smaller room provided (we opted not move at this point as we had already unpacked and I requested the lower rate) when I went back to our room we noticed the safe did not work and called for service they came a few hours later but indicated some safes will not work so we may have to store valuables at the front desk in a safety deposit box. (What a pain). I also noticed our door safety lock did not work - we were told for both safe and door to keep the don't make up the room sign and we should be fine.( a bit disturbing!) I also checked my visa the following morning and realized I was charged over $150 dollars for incidentals that I had not used. I asked to speak to the manager who advised this was standard practice at all hotels - I travel extensively for work to a variety of hotels in Canada and USA (including some Marriott's) and have never been charged this fee. In the end I was offered a room rate reduction - I would have preferred a better experience all around and paid the price I had anticipated. !!

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank lesliesteve
We sincerely appreciate your comments, and thank you for taking the time to post a thorough review of your stay with us. Please know that your comments regarding your experience with both your room lock and the safe have been shared with our Protective Services team for their review and learning. It is an important element to our continued pursuit of service excellence that we are made aware of critique so that we are able to assess and learn. Again, thank you for review, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sutton Coldfield, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is a great hotel, from the moment you enter the lobby you know you are going to love your stay here.
The lobby is large and cosy with a convenient bar for drinks and snacks. We visited just after New Year, so the canadian winter was set, the lake frozen and the fires much needed.

When we entered our room we were very pleased, with the view, the accomodation and the fireplace in our room. At the flick of a switch we had a roaring log fire.
Service across the hotel was fantastic.
The pool is both in and outdoors, which was something else when the outside air temp was -30c! so into the hot tub nearby to defrost our hair!
We dined in the restaurant on the evening and the food and service was great. We will certainly return to the hotel and the wonderful location it's in.

Room Tip: Lakeview rooms are great, if you can get one.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank UK007agent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minett
Residence Inn by Marriott Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
Comfort Inn Huntsville
Comfort Inn Huntsville
#5 of 18 in Huntsville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville

Been to JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!