“NEVER DISAPPOINTS”

JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Minett
“NEVER DISAPPOINTS”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We have been coming here for about 8 years in all different seasons. The JW Marriott on lake Rosseau is a gem in the beautiful northern Ontario cottage country!
The resort rooms are family friendly giving you the opportunity to cook or warm up food, or if you prefer it offers excellent food in 3 areas of dining. This resorts caters to families, weddings, business meetings, friends and couples!
If you want to be pampered they have a wonderful spa on property. If you prefer and enjoy a pool resort setting it accommodates, if you prefer baiting and playing or swimming in the beautiful lake Rosseau it accommodates. Golf & tennis are near by.
Highly recommended for anyone that would like to experience and enjoy the beautiful Muskoka region!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jktorontotraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Well, after reading Philip1971's tirade about inconsiderate guests, I hesitate to write this review, but what the heck! I'll live on edge. First of all, fantastic resort! The location is stunning, and we'll be back. Our room - a one bedroom suite - was absolutely beautiful. A minor fault, which I did not notify housekeeping of, was a sticky spot on the kitchen floor that I managed to step on every time I was in there! I should have called, but figured it wasn't a big deal. Hopefully they do wash the floors between guests. Check in was great, there were plenty of valets at the front to help us with luggage. We didn't bother paying $30 for valet parking, as the weather was good, and the regular lot, which is free, was reasonably close. A theme that I read in some reviews is the service. Everyone was super friendly, but there was definitely a lack of awareness or organization in the restaurants and bars generally. At each meal, with the exception of our last breakfast, the wait staff apologized for leaving us for so long. We are not remotely uptight people about that stuff, and we certainly didn't complain - I get it, it's high season and they are busy, but it really does seem like they need to either hire more staff for the busy times, or train them better. Particularly as we noticed other tables getting served before us, when we had been seated first. If it had happened once, I wouldn't even mention it, but as we had 6 meals here, and it happened 5 times, I think it's an indication of a bigger problem.

The spa is really lovely. We had a spa treatment, and then hung out at the spa pool. As we didn't have our child with us, we enjoyed a rare child-free afternoon there.

We had lunch down at The Deck, which now has a wood-fired pizza oven. The resort appeared to be pretty full, but not overcrowded at all. There was always places to sit and enjoy the ambiance. All in all, I highly recommend this resort - it's a beautiful place in a beautiful part of the world. When you walk into such luxury, and are paying handsomely for it, it's not unnatural to expect that the service would be equally faultless. However, that was not the case, and the reason I am only giving them a very good rating rather than excellent. Still worth a visit though!

Room Tip: We were in the main building on the west side. It was really quiet, overlooking the forested area...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Aurora
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I wrote a review of this hotel after spending a week there in June 2013. This review is an update based on our stay in June 2014.

I’d like to make a clear distinction between the property and the way this hotel, or resort, as they like to call it, is run. The hotel and the setting are magnificent. We heard someone in a nearby café refer to it as an eyesore, but cannot agree with that. From the land it is unobtrusive and only the very top can be seen peeking above the treeline. From the lake, though, the hotel is certainly large and imposing, but is made easy on the eye by the way it has been built into the rocky slope, by the choice of construction materials and by the lush landscaping all around. First- timers can be heard ooing and aahing as they pass through the lobby and out onto the patio with its perfect picture-postcard view over Lake Rosseau. It is indeed spectacular and should be a wonderful place to stay. However…

…The first sign that something had changed in the running of the hotel was the lack of bellmen as we pulled up at the door. There were many occasions during the week when there was simply no-one there at the door to help arriving or departing guests or for valet parking. Missing this time were the bottles of cold water left in the car when the valet delivered it. We had to wait as long as 15 minutes for our car on some occasions and once I gave up and insisted on fetching it from the underground garage myself.

Last year we were disappointed in the casual dining restaurant, Cottages, so I’m not sure why we went back again. Anyway, we did, and not only was the menu as uninspiring as ever and the food as poor, but the service was even worse. The “just a moments” ran to ten minutes and we were completely abandoned when it came to dessert. We got up and walked to the restaurant desk to say that we were leaving, but there was no-one there either, so we went to our room. Sure enough, I later received a call asking why we had left. I learned that the poor service had been due to so many staff being allocated to waiting at a conference group’s dinner. We learned more about the conference group later when they settled in for post-dinner drinks on the patio, some of them becoming increasingly loud drunks and sharing their noise until after midnight with anyone trying to sleep or even hear their TV in rooms overlooking the deck.

In contrast to Cottages, we enjoyed an excellent meal and service in the Teca restaurant, but found it too expensive to visit more than once. Nevertheless, a totally different dining experience from that at Cottages.

On arrival in our room we noticed a greasy nose print on the window and a large smudge of make-up on the bathroom door, not to mention a piece of tissue on the floor in the hallway outside our room. Needless to say, they all remained untouched by any cleaning staff for the whole week. The rather sloppy and inconsistent bed-making and towel service was strange enough, but to not vacuum the hallway for at least a week really was a stretch. The message seemed to be that the management didn’t care.

There were more noisy louts on the patio again the next night till late, the management presumably not caring about the disturbance to their other guests or not knowing how to diplomatically deal with the situation. It appeared to be the former case as we discovered later in the week when they allowed a band to set up for a conference group party on the patio with the speakers facing towards the guest rooms rather than out over the lake. To be fair, the band did stop at 11pm, but someone continued singing with a guitar until they were drowned out by the increasingly noisy drinkers who remained until nearly 2am…at which time the staff in their wisdom started dragging furniture across the patio. Unfortunately, they didn’t drag it back again in the morning and there were no umbrellas at the clusters of chairs until after lunch.

In my review last year, I mentioned that given a choice of being surrounded by corporate conference delegates or children, we’d prefer the former. You’ve no doubt already guessed that we’ve changed our mind and indeed, it was a pleasure to see the many children at the resort having fun.

I could go on, but suffice to say that we reduced our service expectations of this 5-star JW Marriott resort to the point where we didn’t let its deficiencies bother us.

We are big fans of the Marriott group of hotels and appreciate the company’s level of success in creating consistency in quality of service across its many brands. We believe that staff training and empowerment are big factors in making it a pleasure to stay at Marriott hotels. As wonderful as The Rosseau may be as a resort, it falls far short of any other Marriott we know in terms of service. Since this is the only JW Marriott in Canada, it’s somewhat surprising that the company is allowing such clueless and sloppy management to define the JW Marriott guest experience. Wonderful property, fabulous location, but shockingly poor management of staff and the guest experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ekimbry
Kati S, Manager at JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted that you chose to join us again this summer in Muskoka. Your comments are very helpful in guiding us to improve, change and learn how we can offer our guests exceptional experiences. We appreciate your comments regarding the mix of business and leisure guests in the summer, and are sorry that you were disturbed by the group on the terrace. It is indeed a unique mix of guests, between leisure and business, and we can clearly do a better job balancing the needs of these two groups. Regarding your comments on our bell team – these have been shared to alert the team as to areas of improvement. As well, your comments regarding your experience in Cottage (and your great dinner in Teca), have been passed to the culinary team for their knowledge. Please know that all comments are essential to our team, and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Toronto
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for weekend. Room was fantastic. had commanding view of the lake. Surprised about the service. When we booked the room, we made a mistake and booked only for 1 night. Even though they couldn't accommodate keeping the same room, we were able to get another room that was similar in size. And they also gave us a nice bottle of wine and cheese/cracker platter to make up for the hassle of moving out...even though it was our fault in booking.

The kids had a lot of fun in the heated pool as well as the trampoline and waterslide in the lake. Beach was tiny, but we were lucky that there were too many people out there even though the hotel was completely booked.

I read that folks felt they were getting gouged, but we felt things were reasonably priced. kayaks and canoes were free to use, as well as the mountain bikes. some of the kids' activities did cost extra, but the kids had fun building their bears and making fishing lures.

My only beef is the tiny games room. For a resort this size, you would expect something roomier. We felt stuffy and cramped in the room.

Room Tip: There are 2 separate buildings to keep in mind. The main lodge has all the restaurants so is a litt...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I feel compelled to respond to some harsh reviews that have appeared in recent days.
I have been a guest at this spectacular resort for more times than I can count, in all seasons of the year, and I can attest that the JW Marriott The Rosseau offers a truly first-class experience in one of the Top 10 wonders of the world.
The opening of this resort was long overdue. For years, if not decades, Muskoka was in need of a fresh, 21st century, sophisticated, and fully self-contained resort that provided numerous on-site guest amenities, as well as ample facilities for wedding and conventions. The JW Marriott The Rosseau filled this void.
I have had nothing but positive experiences here. I have stayed in every room type, the staff have always been warm, responsive and willing to please, the service prompt and attentive, and the food generous and delicious. The guest rooms are utterly immaculate and well-appointed, with large luxury bathrooms, and feel more like condominium suites than generic hotel rooms.
Obviously, when you travel here during high season, with schools out for summer vacation, with the resort completely booked (and with many visiting locals and cottagers also spending time at the resort's restaurants and bars), a guest needs to be understanding and reasonable in their demands and expectations.
It seems to be many of these same difficult guests who feel it is appropriate to behave like sloths, leaving garbage and messes behind them, allowing their unruly children to run around and disturb other guests, to monopolize guest zones and amenities, to make unreasonable requests, and to treat staff like personal servants. I have seen it.
And if housekeeping is behind schedule, then perhaps it is the fault of inconsiderate guests who do not check out on time (which is 11 a.m.), who overstay in their rooms so that they can eke out further enjoyment from the resort before departing. This happened to me and my elderly parents when we arrived for a stay here two summers ago; the room we were assigned was still not vacated by the previous guest and it was three o'clock in the afternoon!
Frankly, I could not work in the hospitality industry; I simply could not put up with rudeness and insolence from guests and still have to keep a smile on my face. Why some mature, grown adults turn into university dorm residents the second they check into a hotel has always been a mystery to me.
Critics should just stay home and have a "staycation", and allow the rest of us to enioy this splendid resort.

Room Tip: You absolutely can't go wrong with ANY room here. During the summer months, however, ask for a r...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Phillips1971
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Our stay had all the features of the perfect family vacation - the rooms are spacious, the lake and its amenities are terrific, and the staff is lively. The food at the restaurants, however, is atrocious. For a resort of its stature, we found the menu limited and the food bland. A real disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank PGB1966
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us in Muskoka. We’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay and made use of all the amenities available. Many guests find the waterfront a highlight – canoes, kayaks and of course a trampoline on Lake Rosseau is a must-do. The experience at JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka includes great dining, and your comments tell us that we have work to do. I have shared your comments with our culinary leadership so that they are able to review and address. Suggestions and feedback are essential to our ongoing commitment to excellence. Thank you for your specific comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Giving this property two stars only for the beautiful views & lovely appointed rooms. If you are truly looking for a four or even five star resort, go elsewhere & clearly this resort hasn't been reviewed by Marriott for acceptable standards for years! I have travelled a great deal globally & I was appalled at the service or lack thereof. Was booked with family over a long weekend to celebrate Canada Day & an important birthday & we had a guaranteed 4 pm check-in. After much chaos, frustration & appalling service, decided to cut entire trip short by 3 days as I was so unimpressed. This has not been my experience to date as a Marriott rewards card member & it was extremely disappointing.

I had attempted to check in early & told room was not ready which was fine. Waited in a over crowded, noisy reception area with loads of kids running around yelling etc. & had to wait in about 90 degree heat for over 30 minutes to get help with luggage only when I begged a doorman to help. Decided to opt for the $30/day valet parking (!! unreal) as I could not face the walk up the hill in that heat!

At reception kept being told 'oh sorry' every time we had to queue up & ask what was the status of the room readiness. Housekeeping staff was running behind I was told but there was no ETA. Other people were yelling & completely frustrated & basically it was a scene of total crowded chaos in the lobby over a long weekend. Clearly the staff aren't trained or equipped to manage large holiday crowds & overbook. One of my family members was sick with the flu & we were given no compensation or answers for the 2 hour check-in delay which clearly appears to be the norm base on other reviews (?!). If Toronto wasn't so far away & we weren't so exhausted, I would have just driven home. Finally out of sheer exasperation, decided to call the online reservation ourselves to cancel the remaining trip including spa treatments. Interestingly, the concierge personnel could not even help us cancel the spa treatments & I was told to cancel in person or by phone..which was ludicrous considering I had no room to call from!! Spa personnel were also completely indifferent.

All in all it's a gorgeous resort in a beautiful location & our room was stunning, but the staff is just not able to cope & that's when things go totally downhill. The food is terribly overpriced (beware of the winter menu that's still posted & that they substitute higher prices for items) which is why families bring food for weeks on end & be forwarned that if you are looking for a more upscale 'adult' resort, this isn't it as there are plenty of young kids & families running amok. Sadly, a very, very expensive, frustrating & unacceptable experience. Would never recommend this resort and an embarassment to our visitors from other countries!! When is Marriott going to remove their name from this resort? AVOID!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cruizergrl
Kati S, Manager at JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. Canada Day weekend was extremely busy here, and the severe weather we experienced caused many unforeseen issues. Thunderstorms required us to close our outdoor swimming pools and beach for the safety of our guests; flooding and extensive damage to the building caused havoc in other ways. It is fortunate that the resort has a generator which enabled us to continue operating during multiple prolonged power failures. Many guests chose to enjoy the large living room space adjacent to the lobby to play board games, use the complimentary wifi and watch the large screen televisions for World Cup soccer. It must have been frustrating to experience delayed check-in and I am sorry this happened, particularly with a member of your family not feeling well amidst other lively guests. Summertime is definitely one season when we welcome a high number of families to the resort; if you would like to contact the resort directly we can work with you to identify a date for a return visit during autumn or at another time of year when children are in school. As with all reviews, these comments are shared with our team for their resolution and action. Thank you again for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minett
Residence Inn by Marriott Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville
Severn Lodge
Severn Lodge
#1 of 4 in Port Severn

Been to JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!