“Old-Style Cottage Resort in Muskoka”
Review of Clevelands House

Clevelands House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Minett
Toronto, Canada
“Old-Style Cottage Resort in Muskoka”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Just recently spent one night at this resort for a short conference. This place has been around forever, and I suspect it has been eclipsed by some of the newer Muskoka rental resort properties like the JW Marriott (Formerly Red Leaves) up the road as well as Taboo, near Gravenhurst. Clevelands is clearly a bit tired and fraying at the edges. But they gave me a really nice room in the main house with several beds in it. Almost a room for an entire family. And I love walking around the grounds, with all the focus on the waterfront, which is beautiful. There is a great golf course adjacent to the property (The Rock), and the resort has tons of things to do. I think this is probably a really good choice for a family with small children in the summertime.
P.S. We went into Port Carling one night, and had a really good meal at Loon Docks. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Some of the cottages are quite far from the Main House and require a good long walk.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank flunie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Toronto Ontario
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This was our first visit to Clevelands House so we don't have any history to compare it to. First the positives: we stayed at a Terraceview Suite - the beds were comfy and the view was amazing. The place is definitely rustic and could use some attention to detail when it comes to cleaning, but it was very adequate for our family. The staff were also very friendly and approachable...when there was something missing they wouldn't miss a beat in making sure they met our expectations.
Unfortunately there are some drawbacks....I kind of wished I brought my pressure washer so I could give the exterior of the buildings a cleaning they really needed. The places has a lot of charm and so much more potential than it is currently been given. I'm concerned about what the place will look like in a couple years if there continues to be a lack of attention to the overall maintenance of the buildings and grounds.
There was also a lack of communication between the staff - particularly when it came to meal service and accessing amenities such as rentals, the games room and the kids park. There were times when we were left waiting at the front desk for a good 5-10 minutes (after we rang the bell) before someone came.
The resort is in a beautiful location - the staff were friendly and the potential is there - I'm really hoping for a more positive review in the next couple years!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank NewAdventures6
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Took advantage of a great stay and play offer that included golf at The Rock. After reading some of the negative reviews prior to our stay I was concerned what we were getting into. Our stay was Sept. 18 so we also wondered what facilities would still be available, especially the pool and hot tub given there was frost the past two nights. Instead of a suite room we were given a two bedroom cottage overlooking the water. It had everything we needed and included a full bathroom and a separate two piece bathroom. It was very clean - the only negative would be the bedrooms have lamps only and can be a little dark. Loved the porch with the chairs and lounge.

We took a tour around the property and quickly found everything was available - shuffleboard, basketball, great tennis courts, outdoor ping pong tables and to our surprise the pools were not only open but nicely heated - what a treat after our golf. The large hot tub was also great and very relaxing - use the large one and activate the jets!

This place has a rustic charm to it. No - it is not brand new, but there is something nicer about it because of that. Breakfast was an absolute treat. Friendly service and a very enjoyable pre game meal for our second round of golf. Will definitely return!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Eugene M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2013

It is with great sadness that I write this, since I have been coming to Cleve's for over a decade. I read some of the previous comments from long time guests, and I have to agree with them. I'm not going to ramble on about every negative aspect of my experience this year, but I will address some of the more concerning issues afflicting your guests.

When my family first arrived, we were shocked by how unclean our rooms were. First of all, our room was the last to be made in the entire resort (I know that this is true since the housekeepers had a concluding peptalk outside our cottage after they finished cleaning). It's not that they are lacking housekeepers. The reason why they are inefficient is because more of them are inexperienced. They don't know the basics of keeping a cottage sanitary. They vacuumed our 2 room cottage in about 20 seconds, and refused to make our beds on one occasion. There is just this level of laziness and complacency - as if their job isn't to be taken seriously. Do they care more about making their guests feel comfortable and satisfied or are they working merely for a paycheck?
The newly improved dining room was nice, along with the food quality. But, what struck me the most was the way the place was run and the reservation policy that was implemented. Guests would have to make reservations ahead of time to ensure that their table was available for their requested time. Unlike previous years, though, the dining room was packed, mainly because they cut the size of the restaurant in half. Not to mention, most of the waitresses were borderline rude and unaccommodating. Worst of all, ever since the Cornells left, the amount and diversity of food has greatly diminished to the point where there are the same dishes on the menu for both lunch and dinner. There USED to be a much wider selection of dishes. They USED to treat us like royalty.
What pushed me to the limit was Dukes. The first night, I walked up the stairs and was greeted by these bouncers who have been told by the resort to disallow people under the age of 19 from entering the bar past 10 pm. This is absolutely absurd, considering the fact that it is a FAMILY oriented resort for all age groups (or so it used to be). The bar became cluttered with outsiders not belonging to the resort. Why should we pay an incredible amount of money for the purpose of using the resort's accommodations when all the people that remained in the bar past 11 were 20 year old resort staff and cottagers from outside (looking to get drunk and make a ruckus). The entertainment used to be family friendly AND scheduled every day throughout the week (eg. Casino night). Only a few days in the week had entertainment - the other days had mediocre singers performing in the restaurant's bar (which was an added feature this year). That bar must have cost tens of thousands of dollars to build...think about how that money could have been properly spent (eg. upgrading rooms, landscaping, hiring experienced workers etc). How many bars does the resort need before it turns into a booze-driven business??? Plus, the rosseau room is barely used anymore - sad to see such a nostalgic place go to waste.
The truth is, the staff came over to the bar several times a week with the intention of getting drunk. In the past, this would have been deemed unacceptable. Is there no accountability anymore? No wonder the workers seem disinterested and rude towards the guests - they couldn't care less because they're here just to party. Then they show up the next day hung-over and forced to go back to their daily jobs (some of them, might I add, are camp councilors taking care of your own children!!) I feel entitled to say this since a) I have seen the resort at its best and b) i'm a loyal guest and have been for many years (albeit not for long).

Let me be clear. I have nothing against this resort. Every year, I look forward to vacationing here and enjoying myself. But when I see these clear issues being neglected, I can't help but feel sick to my stomach. This is a beloved place to me, but if drastic improvement do not occur within the next year, I will probably choose a different place to vacation. Plus, I heard that you can get a 20 dollar pass for the day and use their outdoor facilities like the beach, tennis courts etc (which, might I add, is the main reason why I go to cleves every year anyway).

I really did not want to be so critical of this once renowned establishment, but after having experienced such unpleasantness this year, I feel the need to inform others (returning guests or not) of this place going down the tubes. By no means am I strongly against change. In fact, I am supportive of upgrading the decrepit rooms and grounds. I just wish cleves had that same casual family, inviting, lackadaisical feeling we have experienced in the past. After all, that is what made us wanting to return each and every year. I hope someone else takes ownership of cleves so that these problems can be properly and swiftly resolved. There are many solutions to get cleves back on track, but, unless management takes these reviews to heart, the resort will collapse like a house of cards. And to the management: listen to what we have to say and act on it - after all, guests know best.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
17 Thank OilRig12013

Travellers are raving about these Minett hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Clevelands House is a beautiful, historic resort. There are many different types of accommodations from hotel rooms to cottages. While it is true that the rooms are "dated" and in need of upgrading, the hotel itself is beautiful. The common dining area is rustic but comfortable. The food is very good. The activities for kids are great - kids camp keeps kids busy and active all day while parents can relax by the beautiful lake or go for a boat ride or water ski or just swim. There are activities scheduled all day long that you can participate in or not - mostly "yard" sports like badmitton, ping pong, horseshoes etc. That is fun. There are also pools available for swimming. There is a golf course on the property but it is not that great, there are really great golf courses in the area - particularly The Rock!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Janetb444
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We purchased a groupon stay and play package, great value, breackfast was included. Unfortunaely could have been hotter, and would definately not have payed the advertised price.
The Cabin's furniture was really outdated and terribly uncomfortable, would think twice about staying there again even with a similar deal.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ashdown54
Markham, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My wife and I took advantage of a Jaunt.ca package which included a stay at Cleveland's House, 2 rounds of golf at The Rock and breakfast. I had some trepidation from the get go as I was trying to make a reservation. I had left two messages on their voicemail inquiring about availability and leaving my number for someone to call me back. Needless to say neither of my messages were returned and I had to keep making calls to get a hold of someone. Finally made a reservation and the person asked when we would like to golf, so I provided the time. She said that she would email me the confirmation of the tee time. The day before my stay, once again I called to ensure the tee time had been made as I never received the email confirmation. The telephone call had me on hold for 30 minutes listening to how great this place was before ringing through then disconnecting me completely. I called back and finally got a hold of someone who when I told them about getting my call dropped only response was, "Oh that damn machine", not even an apology. I then had her confirm my tee time for my arrival the next day. I arrived the next day and checked in and received my voucher for the confirmed tee time .... So I thought! I arrived at the golf course to be told they have no record of me or my tee time! Luckily the personnel at The Rock were able to squeeze us in 35 minutes later. The person at the pro shop advised us that people at the Cleveland House are notorious for sometimes "forgetting" to make the tee times. Hardly acceptable as I had gone through the trouble to call the day before to ensure it had been done.

If they are trying to get customers they are sorely failing!

Rooms are dated and musty smelling!

Best part is the golf at The Rock but do yourself a favour and stay at the Marriott!

Needless to say, we won't be back!

• Stayed September 2013
6 Thank Michael T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minett
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
#28 of 55 in Muskoka District
Severn Lodge
Severn Lodge
#1 of 4 in Port Severn

Been to Clevelands House? Share your experiences!