“Profoundly Delicious!”

Fleur de Sel
Ranked #12 of 45 Restaurants in Lunenburg
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: This place is seasonally closed. It will reopen in MAY 11, 2017.
Reviewed 30 August 2014

the best meal we,ve had. Lamb carpaccio- delightfully prepared and presented -delicious...3 different selections of oysters with 2 delectable sauces....3 different types of home made bread...the AMUSE Bouche...turnip, foie GRAS and rillette...delectable...Lobster perfectly prepared and presented...scallops with the beet foam ...perfectly prepared...enjoyed wonderful cognac coffees...service was truly professional ...we loved Fleur de Sel...dinner for 2 with basically 5 courses, top notch martinis x 4 and special coffees..$200.00 for 2 including tip...This is a must in Nova Scotia! Thank You!

1  Thank b4i4gt

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is my second visit here - and a few years have passed in between.

As before, wonderful food and charming service in a quaint old home. The yellow fin tuna tartare was fresh, dressed with a light subtly flavoured vinaigrette and simply amazing. The butter poached lobster reminded me how superb this often mistreated crustacean can be.

Truly a world class restaurant in a small heritage (UNESCO World Heritage site) village worth the drive.

A slight disappointment - they have a small patio in the back, but it is not currently in use and looks very neglected. When we asked why they are not using it, we were told that the unreliable weather this summer caused them to close it for the season - a shame!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is the third time that I have dined at Fleur de Sel.

I had the fois gras to start and my partner had the lamb carpaccio. The bread that accompanied the meal was fresh, and I liked that there were 3 types.

There was an amuse bouche, which included tuna tartare, marinated baby octopus, and beet salad. All were interesting and beautifully presented.

I had the duck breast, which was perfectly cooked and my partner had the beef tenderloin. Accompaniments were flavourful.

For dessert, my partner had the chocolate gateau with chocolate ice cream and I had the cheese plate. Most of the food was locally or Canadian sourced, which we liked. There was a separate Nova Scotia wine list, which was also a nice touch.

The service was warm and attentive, not the slightest hint of pretentiousness. The meal was beautifully paced and we were encouraged to linger over our coffee.

They have substantially augmented the wine list since our last visit and there was something in every price range. Because this is an old house, not every table has a view of the harbour and because of the brick fireplace, the dining room can be dark, but it did not detract from our meal.

I'm not sure whether some of the reviewers have big appetites, but we found the portion sizes perfect (my partner is over six feet tall and over 200 pounds) and he did not leave hungry. If you only had a main course without starter or dessert, you would not be full. I would describe the portion sizes as "Canadian size", meaning no disrespect to our American friends, who do serve and expect much larger portions.

This is NOT an inexpensive restaurant, so don't go thinking that you will get out of here for a bargain. The prices are lower than most major Canadian cities, and we think it is very well priced for what is received. This is somewhere for foodies, or for people who want a special treat. It is not at all suitable for children or for picky eaters.

This restaurant is consistently of the highest quality, attentive service, focus on details and proudly adds a Canadian flair. It keeps us returning to Lunenburg, which we love.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have had a great diner at this restaurant. It has been our most expensive diner during the last week when visiting Nova Scotia, but it was defenitly worth every dollar.
I started with the Tuna, very fresh and a good portion. For mains I had the Lobster which was superb, and my husband had the Duck which he said was also very good.
We shared the cheese-plate for desert.
Staff was very friendly and helpfull.
When in the area, we would certainly have diner there again!

1  Thank IngridT49
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Had a lovely, relaxing dinner at Fleur de Sel. Started with smoked salmon, then lobster and halibut. Doughnut desert was well worth it. Everything perfect. Giddy, our server, was very professional.