“not what was expected”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Gravenhurst
Ontario
“not what was expected”
Reviewed 6 January 2008

I'll start with the positives - there is access to a microwave and larger size fridge in each room, there is free parking and an ample amount of it. The rooms are of a reasonable size, the beds are comfortable and seem fairly new, the sheets are clean, all seem to include a desk, 2 beds, TV and cable, small breakfast table and two chairs. There is also Wifi internet, that drops occasionally, but is overall decent in my experience.

The areas where things get a little sketchy for myself - this hotel is a smoking hotel. The first floor is smoking and the second floor non smoking. As an individual who does not smoke and does not subject themselves to being around cigarettes, this is a hard hotel to stay in. I can honestly smell the smoke, and the hotel staff cover it up with a freshener that made my allergic reaction worse. Even though I had a non-smoking room, the smoke smell permeates the building and comes up through the plumbing.

The room, while not incredibly dirty, was definitely not incredibly clean. When I checked in there was dirt chunks on the floor, a layer of dust on the hanger rack, and the walls are covered in an old seeming wallpaper with holes that have been filled in with polyfill and not finished. There are missing doorknobs on the vanity cupboards under the sink, and some electrical outlet covers are missing.

The doors do not latch properly, and I found myself having to check my door 3 or 4 times to make sure it was locked before I could go out. This also made it hard for me to feel comfortable leaving my things in my room, or wanting the staff to clean my room, for fear that the door would not be latched properly upon their departure.

There are no thermostats, so you cannot set the temperature of your room - you have to turn on the heater (each room has it's own heater that sits in the window) and when it gets too hot, you have to turn it off for awhile. When it gets cool you have to turn it back on.

The decor is drab, the bed covers are old, and the front reception area has a giant decorator rock in the middle of the floor, which makes it hard for more than about 5 people to be in that area comfortably. There's nowhere to sit with a group of people in a public area of the hotel, you have to go to your room - so not great for big groups if you need a spot to congregate. I am surprised to learn that this hotel was renovated 2 years ago, I could not tell.

If I was in a pinch, I'd be very happy this hotel was here to stay in. However, I would definitely not stay here as a first choice, or in a vacationing situation.

For people with allergies, or who do not smoke, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank TravellerG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gravenhurst
Residence Inn by Marriott Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
Sherwood Inn
Sherwood Inn
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa

Been to Howard Johnson Inn - Gravenhurst? Share your experiences!