“This place is gargantuan!”
Review of Fort Nelson Hotel

Fort Nelson Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Fort Nelson
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is the biggest hotel I have seen in such a small town in the middle of nowhere! The room was decorated with lots of timber furniture. A big king sized bed that was super comfortable. The rooms are all around the outside of the building while there is an inner "courtyard" a sliding door from the room leads onto this courtyard. There is a pool there but it was closed during our visit. We ate in the dining room and the food was good. Breakfast was OK but the service was non-existant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cuddlefi5h
There are newer reviews for Fort Nelson Hotel

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is the worst place that I have stayed in for many years. Apparently at one time it was a grand place but it has not been so in a LONG time.

The pool is out of order so you cannot use it. The desk clerk said that the sauna worked, and it did after we let it heat up for an hour but she neglected to mention the exposed wires about five feet long that stick out 6 inches from the wall that are part of the thermostat. The toilet in the sauna room did not flush and the shower was nasty.

The carpet in the halls is wrinkled up and dirty.

Our room (in the back) was fair but only one person out of three could get the wi-if to work. The AC was a wall unit that was very noisy.

Even though there were 3 of us they would only give us two free breakfasts. When we were leaving the breakfast area a MOUSE ran out from under the buffet table.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I don't know what kind of psychiatric medication previous reviewer is on, but I have some swamp land in Florida for sale as well. I stayed here 3 years ago, and while not fancy, staff was friendly, food was very good and rooms adequate. My last visit , the air conditioning was not working, management seemed indifferent to it, the staff seemed completely stressed out, and the breakfast was disgusting.

Room Tip: Buy a tent instead
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank tomvancouver
Reviewed 15 March 2013

New management has certainly renewed this tired hotel. The place now smells fresh and the room I stayed in was fantastic. Food is good and service has come leaps and bounds from previous experiences. I hope the new management continues to make improvements to this anchor hotel in Fort Nelson.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Bank1543
Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

After having a dinner in the Sierra lounge and with some friends, & having a few drinks, then going to the pub/bar fort bar to play pool few hours later my friends left and then I thought I have to much to drive home so I made the call to the local cab company what said wait will be 45-60 minuets, I went to the lobby to book a room instead and then was told no your local you can not book a room, so they will over serve me Booz feed me and but wait I can not pay more to stay in hotel due to not going to drink & drive home and cab a hour away thanks but no thanks fort hotel I walked home in the blistering cold for one and a half hours at -26c with wind makes you wonder what would have happened if I drove and a incident happened would I be at fault with proof, I waited to post this due to was mad...

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Ryan011
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stayed here during the off season so I thought I had a pretty good stay. It was quiet and the room was equipped with refrigerator and a microwave. The room had a lot of space, bed was comfortable and bathroom clean although I thought that the bathtub could be deeper.

I studied the layout and it appears that all the rooms had their back to the interior court where there is a swimming pool (closed in April) and a Hawaii Tiki place (also closed). People on the first floor have a lanai door that can be opened up to the court while rooms on the second floor got a lanai that overlook it. Of course, interesting thing is, when the Tiki Room and the swimming pool open up, how much noise do the guest have to deal with???

The hotel is definitely old but it seem to be well kept. Floors are creaky and it got the 1970s feel to it. The hotel is also a home to Fort Nelson Cafe where the food is pretty decent and service quite good. While there are other fancy hotels and motels out there, I found staying here to be quite pleasant....at least in the month of April before the rush north....or rush South begin.

Room Tip: I would read more for the time period you might be staying. I stayed there during the"quiet pe...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 March 2012

The Fort Nelson hotel is emblazoned on the outside with signs that claim a pool, sauna, and other amenities starting at $99. Once inside, you find out that new management has raised this to $109.99 and has not removed the sign although prices have been higher since "last summer" (I am here in March of the following year). The very lackadaisical staff don't bother to tell you while checking in that neither the pool nor sauna are working, and just shrug and smirk when asked about it. There is nothing special about this place, and the price is too high for what one gets. If coming through Fort Nelson, keep driving.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo