“Comfortable beds, quiet rooms, but a few things missing / annoying”

Woodlands Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Fort Nelson
Cypress, Texas
“Comfortable beds, quiet rooms, but a few things missing / annoying”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We spent one night at Woodlands Inn and Suites on our northbound road trip on the Alaska Highway. The hotel advertises itself as the "only full service hotel in Fort Nelson," and the hotel may well be the finest lodging option in Fort Nelson. The Super 8 looked nice from the outside, and I did not get a good glimpse at the Lakeview Hotel.

There were certainly a number of positives about our stay. The room was clean and quiet and the beds were very comfortable. However, there were several aspects about the hotel that we found offputting.

1. One of my biggest hotel pet peeves is toilets without full seat covers (to be transparent, I am male). In my view, the lack of a full seat cover screams "cheap." Our room did not have a toilet with a full seat cover. I found this unacceptable for a "full service" hotel.

2. The hotel does not have wireless internet. In my view, wi fi access (even if it is paid) is "de rigueur" in a hotel these days. The hotel did offer wireless in the lounge or restaurant, but only when those are open, which was not the case when we arrived mid afternoon.

3. We were given Room 326. Room 326 looks out at a brick wall on the hotel's new "extended stay" wing. When my wife commented about our view to the front desk clerk later in the day, my wife then added the comment that they must be busy since we were assigned that room. The clerk's response was that they were not busy, she was just new and didn't know the rooms. She had told me the 3rd floor was quieter and that is why she booked us on the third floor, so give her half credit I guess.

4. The first time I used the hot water tap in the bathroom, some air came through the faucet and then a brief burst of rusty water. We did not see that again, and a different front desk clerk told my wife he had never heard of that happening before. But I saw it and it was disconcerting.

5) This is perhaps more of an annoyance than a negative comment, but this is one of those hotels in which the wall plugs are controlled by light switches. The one open plug near the desk was an ideal place to plug in a laptop, but it was turned off when we came into the room. Took about 30 seconds figuring out why the plug was not working and to turn on the relevant switch. In today's electronic age, the least a hotel could do is to leave the switches turned on, I would suggest.

In summary, I found the hotel lacking in a few key "amenity" areas. However, it may well be one of the better lodging options in Fort Nelson. And as noted, the beds were comfortable and the rooms quiet.

Two final comments:

1) The hallways take a bit of getting used to - with no windows and with the gray brick walls. It's not altogether ugly - it just feels a bit like one is in a cave.

2) My impression was that the hotel caters more to the extended stay guest - likely a business person - than they do the casual road tripper such as ourselves.

Room Tip: Obviously, avoid room 326 if you want an outside view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jbtexas
woodlandsinnsuites, Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Woodlands Inn. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable beds and quiet rooms during your stay. Regarding the internet, the Woodlands Inn uses iHotel, which is the most reliable high speed internet service offered in the north. The reason for having hardwired internet in our guest rooms rather than wireless is because of the concrete walls used to isolate noise in the hallways. However, our hardwired internet service is very reliable and maintains a strong connection. We appreciate any feedback that our guests may have regarding their experience at the Woodlands Inn. Our staff is looking forward to having you stay with us upon your next visit to Fort Nelson!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed here on my way back to Alaska. I thought about staying at Fort Nelson Hotel again but I wanted to test out something new.

The staff proves to be very friendly and nice. I got a first floor room but I notices that they didn't put anyone over me so that was very nice as well. The room was clean, bathroom was clean and overall I had a pretty quiet and peaceful stay. The Internet worked fine although I had to go on a exploration mission to find the ice machine!! Its a pretty big hotel.

The hotel appears to be remodelling or whatever. One thing I smell during the night was dusty concrete although I had no idea where it was coming from. It was a long drive from Jasper National Park so I was too tired to complaint and I didn't wake up covered with concrete dust but the smell was there during the night although not the substance.

I suppose that is the penalty for coming during the off season before the hotel can get ready for the summer rush. But still, a guest shouldn't be bother or concern about this.

Room Tip: Ice machines are located on the 3rd floor behind the middle elevator!! The one in the second floor w...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
woodlandsinnsuites, Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Woodlands Inn. We appreciate any comments that our guests may have regarding their experience. Our hotel is currently installing their second elevator that will be operational in the next month. We apologize for the disturbance from the outcome of this installation, but rest assured that the front desk will be advising guests on the lobby white board of the next time these updates undergo maintenance. We hope to have you stay with us upon your next visit to Fort Nelson.
Central Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

This hotel is much bigger, quieter and cleaner that I would have ever expected. Considering how remote Fort Nelson is, and that the Alaska highway is the sole reason for traveling through this region, the accommodations were first rate! The check in was simple and took less than one minute. The rooms are quiet, probably due to the solid concrete construction of the whole building. The fit and finish of the furniture and the bathroom were clean and simple. The restaurant made a large breakfast at six in the morning and it was well worth the cost. There was no eating establishment open upon our arrival, but we found a great place just down the road, a few minutes away. This place is a great place to stop and get some quality rest before venturing North along the highway.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
woodlandsinnsuites, Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Woodlands Inn & Suites. We appreciate all the feedback that our guests may have about their experience at the hotel. ONE Restaurant is open for breakfast and dinner, however there are restaurants in the vicinity that do offer a variety of lunch items. Our staff is happy to hear that you enjoyed our full breakfast in the restaurant, and we look forward to having you stay with us again upon your next visit to North Eastern BC.
Wasilla, Alaska, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

After a long drive from Whitehorse, we needed a bed to recharge our batteries. The room was appointed in the modern style with a tub/shower (although with a cheap shower head for such a nice place). We found the beds to be very comfortable with firm but soft tops. Outlets near the bed are always nice to charge electronics.

We awoke to a cold room and realized the thermostat was set lower than we noticed, no fault of the hotel.

A fine place to stay that meets my criteria: clean, quiet, and comfortable very well indeed.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
woodlandsinnsuites, Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to review your stay at the Woodlands Inn & Suites. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at the hotel. Our staff is always pleased to help our guests with any requests they may have during their stay. We hope to have you stay with us upon your next visit to North Eastern BC!
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights recently. When I have a multiple night hotel stay and go exploring after my first night, I expect the room to look just as I left it when I return with the following exceptions:

The bed should be made
The towels should be changed
Toiletries should be replaced
Tub/sink should be wiped down

That's it. The cleaning staff at this establishment decided that where I had laid out my clothes and left my receipts was not to their satisfaction. It is simply not their place to reorganize my room to whatever they see fit. I'd sooner sleep in my car next time I'm passing through than to stay in this dive.

Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank trip m
woodlandsinnsuites, Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Thank you for you feedback regarding your stay at the Woodlands Inn & Suites. Based on your comments, it would perhaps seem there is something additional which was a concern and would encourage yourself to contact the hotel to discuss and resolve. Regarding our housekeeping standards for multiple night stays, after the first night you room would be checked and cleaned, linens changed based on usage or what the guest has done in following our Green program, bed made and general cleaning of the room. After the second night, complete cleaning is done, all linens are changed and again general cleaning of the room. If you are checking out after two nights, this would of course be done after you have departed the room. Its not the practice to move or reorganized any guests material in a room, however if it will impact making a bed or general cleaning these items may be moved and replaced to allow that process to be completed.

If at any time you felt there was a concern with the housekeeping, do not hesitate to contact the guest service department or the housekeeper directly for assistance. We pride ourselves in maintaining very high housekeeping standards. As an approved BC Accommodations facility we must meet their inspections criteria on an annual basis to maintain our listing. We have done so for over 10 years.

If you are traveling back to Fort Nelson we do hope you will provide us the opportunity to serve you and do not hesitate to speak to our housekeeping department if there are any specific items you would like addressed, we are always pleased to work with the guest so that their needs are met.
Campbell River, B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed at your hotel earlier this winter when I had a death in the family and had to fly 1000 miles to Fort Nelson. I was very impressed , the rooms were very clean and the food in One was most excellent. A beautiful hotel.
I was also pleased to get excellent service from the front desk staff, in particular a woman named Michelle who went out of her way to help my daughter with a brand new baby and myself manoever to elevators with excess baggage and deal with a crib and all the extra things you need to do with a new baby.
All in all everything was great at the hotel. Kudos to the greatest staff!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
woodlandsinnsuites, Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for you positive comment regarding your recent stay at the Woodlands Inn & Suites. We appreciate you feedback and will be sure to share this with our staff. I am please to hear our associates went out of their way to assist you, a standard of service all guest can anticipated receiving. Our housekeeping staff take great pride in the cleaning standards achieved and will be so happy to hear you found your room comfortable and very clean.

We look forward to serving you again in the further and do not hesitate to contact any of our associates for assistance.
Stoney creek
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I stayed at the Woodlands Inn and suites in Fort Nelson B.C.for ten days earlier this month. Upon arriving I knew I was at the right place to allow me to experience Fort Nelson in my style, Clean, comfortable and upper class. The owner and management ensured all of my needs were met by placing me in a mini suite equipped with a full kitchen and separate bedroom for privacy and comfort. I was very impressed with the room and the quietness of the wing where I was placed. I was equally happy with the cleanliness of the room and that the cleaning staff were so meticulous with how they kept the rooms. Bravo to the staff for an incredible job, I'm quite fussy about how clean my space is.
The restaurant "One" provided me with many daily options that satisfied my nutritional needs. Again great job and bravo to the restaurant and loungs staff
. The staff at the front desk in general were so friendly ,thoughtful and more than willing to provide me with very professional service. A great pleasure to get to know some of the staff and they were more than willing to chat and take the time to get to know who I was and what I needed while there.
The only one minor issue that occurred stands out to be one of those things that truly needs to be addressed. When I arrived at the hotel on the Thurs, I unfortunately was not accompanied by my luggage. I was forced to live in the same clothing for another day. After 20 hours of travel the only thing I really wanted to do it change into some fresh clean clothing and have a relaxing dinner at the lounge. Being forced to bath and wear the same clothing I felt it was nessecary to use perfume to mask my feeling of not being fresh and clean. I went down the the front desk and asked for directions, information and restaurant details. I spoke with a lovely young lady there who was most gracious and helpful, Dana I believe.
The dinner was great and the atmosphere even better. Soon I was off to sleep, I truly had a great night sleep this my first night at the Woodlands.The bed was truly a gift to my very tired body.
The next day I found out I would get my luggage via the in lobby computer set up for guest to use. While sitting there behind a 5 foot wall for privacy, I overheard a guest service staff member Michelle complaining as she entered into the lobby about how strong someones perfume was. Four times she asked out loud, can't you smell that, wow that is strong, too much, can't you smell that again. The other staff seemed to not be affected at all by the smell of my perfume. I sat at the computer area quietly until I heard her say. "You know who's perfume was so strong , that woman, as she loudly spoke my name, that Sharon Q and I am surprised since she is seeing all those people here".I was so offended that she could be so hurtful as she knew my luggage was lost. I stood up and said, excuse me ladies but Iam sitting right here. She immiately came over to me and said" oh no let me smell your perfume it can t be you". Lying ignorant woman is what came to mind. I told her she should look to see who was present before speaking about someone like that.
Not what I wanted to say but I truly did not want to cause an issue as the owner was a friend of a friend and kindly gifting me with the stay at his hotel. I was so upset all afternoon because of her hurtful comment. Later I saw her at the airport where I had to pick p my luggage, she was apologetic and I asked her to let it go and hugged her. I needed to release this negative from my mind as I was about to be on stage to speak for some very deserving women. My night and event was affected by her comment as was my whole stay. I love my perfume and I had never in all the years of my travel, friendships, or family connections ever heard it was too strong or offensive. I asked other staff at the hotel if my perfume was offensive as I was now very conscious to how much I was using. Although I have allowed her comments to not control how I feel about the way I smell, I do feel she needs to learn a lesson. Not just don't get caught speaking , or gossiping about someone, but that you should learn in your line of business to keep your ignorant comments to yourself. Inside voice is required at all times when dealing with the public. What I wanted to say to her is that, you are a very hurtful woman and in no way do you have the right to speak about me publicly. Public defamation is a big deal to me and I was truly hurt and insulted. My relationship with the staff at the front desk felt strained and uncomfortable after this event. I am a very giving person and throughout my stay I did not feel the natural desire to share with any of the staff there because of her interference. I spoke with the general manager, David who throughout the week went over and above to ensure me this would be dealt with. I asked him if he could please wait until after I left as I did not want to have to deal with any of the negative energy that would come from all of this. Me assured me he would wait, and he did. I am very grateful for my time in Fort Nelson and the Wodlands Inn and suites. I plan to return this June and I will stay at the Woodlands again. There may be other choices in town but none as desirable as the Woodlands inn and Suites. If I was rating this hotel and experience I would
give it a nine out of ten, because I do believe that what I experienced will never be an issue
others will face as I'm sure the guest services staff have learned a valuable lesson. I'm sure
next stay will be a ten. I decided to write this review to help the staff at the Woodlands learn from a valuable lesson. When you speak about someone else even if they are not there to hear it, someone is listening and you may drive away valuable business with your comments. If you are saying something bad about one,are we not to believe you are saying something about everyone. I was a front desk manager and night auditor many years ago and if I had a staff speak this way to anyone in my hotel, needless to say there would have been ame changes.

Room Tip: 442 is my favorite.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sharon Q
woodlandsinnsuites, David Moore, General Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review your stay at the Woodlands Inn & Suites. We appreciate all feedback that our guests may have regarding their experience at the hotel. Our staff will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here at the Woodlands Inn & Suites, the service, amenities, housekeeping standards, food and beverage offerings and the quality of our Woodlands Presidential II Mattress. A great sleep is so important when a guest in our hotel. Your comments will be shared with our staff; we feel it’s very important they read our clients feedback. Despite the serious issue you encountered with one of our associates and the impact it had on you personally, we are pleased you were still able enjoyed the hotel and the balance of your stay with us. The concern that you stated in your review is being addressed and your requested time line was respected. We would like to thank you once again for your open, honest and positive feedback and look forward to having you stay with us again in June.