We spent one night at Woodlands Inn and Suites on our northbound road trip on the Alaska Highway. The hotel advertises itself as the "only full service hotel in Fort Nelson," and the hotel may well be the finest lodging option in Fort Nelson. The Super 8 looked nice from the outside, and I did not get a good glimpse at the Lakeview Hotel.
There were certainly a number of positives about our stay. The room was clean and quiet and the beds were very comfortable. However, there were several aspects about the hotel that we found offputting.
1. One of my biggest hotel pet peeves is toilets without full seat covers (to be transparent, I am male). In my view, the lack of a full seat cover screams "cheap." Our room did not have a toilet with a full seat cover. I found this unacceptable for a "full service" hotel.
2. The hotel does not have wireless internet. In my view, wi fi access (even if it is paid) is "de rigueur" in a hotel these days. The hotel did offer wireless in the lounge or restaurant, but only when those are open, which was not the case when we arrived mid afternoon.
3. We were given Room 326. Room 326 looks out at a brick wall on the hotel's new "extended stay" wing. When my wife commented about our view to the front desk clerk later in the day, my wife then added the comment that they must be busy since we were assigned that room. The clerk's response was that they were not busy, she was just new and didn't know the rooms. She had told me the 3rd floor was quieter and that is why she booked us on the third floor, so give her half credit I guess.
4. The first time I used the hot water tap in the bathroom, some air came through the faucet and then a brief burst of rusty water. We did not see that again, and a different front desk clerk told my wife he had never heard of that happening before. But I saw it and it was disconcerting.
5) This is perhaps more of an annoyance than a negative comment, but this is one of those hotels in which the wall plugs are controlled by light switches. The one open plug near the desk was an ideal place to plug in a laptop, but it was turned off when we came into the room. Took about 30 seconds figuring out why the plug was not working and to turn on the relevant switch. In today's electronic age, the least a hotel could do is to leave the switches turned on, I would suggest.
In summary, I found the hotel lacking in a few key "amenity" areas. However, it may well be one of the better lodging options in Fort Nelson. And as noted, the beds were comfortable and the rooms quiet.
Two final comments:
1) The hallways take a bit of getting used to - with no windows and with the gray brick walls. It's not altogether ugly - it just feels a bit like one is in a cave.
2) My impression was that the hotel caters more to the extended stay guest - likely a business person - than they do the casual road tripper such as ourselves.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located at Mile 300 on the famous Alaska Highway, the Woodlands Inn & Suites is Fort Nelson's only full-service business & leisure hotel. We pride ourselves in offering professional, friendly northern hospitality within a modern and comfortable hotel, while featuring all the services you would expect to find in large city locations. Our hotel offers 202 well appointed guest rooms, including our luxurious extended stay suites located in the new tower. For your convenience, you will find a full service restaurant & lounge, business centre and a premier liquor store all within the hotel. In addition, our ‘One Stop Shop' is open 24 hours a day, featuring a wide range of beverages, snacks, grocery products & toiletries for your convenience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Woodlands Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodlands Hotel Fort Nelson