“Enjoyable stay”

Woodlands Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Fort Nelson
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Large clean room, well appointed, large bathroom and strong Internet connection, with a desk to work at.
Quiet.
Friendly helpful staff.
Good food in the restaurant - had both dinner and breakfast there.
Would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank terark99
woodlandsinnsuites, Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Woodlands Inn & Suites. We appreciate any feedback that our guests may have regarding their experience at the hotel. We look forward to having you stay with upon your next visit for North-Eastern BC!

Reviewed 13 June 2012

This is the place you're looking for if you and/or your family are traveling the Alaskan Highway - comfortable, fair price, helpful staff and a great restaurant attached to the hotel. I stayed here on my first trip up the highway in November 2009 and was so impressed that I booked a room on my return trip in 2012. Glad I did!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
woodlandsinnsuites, Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Woodlands Inn & Suites. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much that you decided to return this year. ONE Restaurant offers a weekly Fresh Sheet designed by Executive Chef David Clare featuring new items every week for guests to taste and enjoy. Our staff is looking forward to having you stay with us upon your next visit to Fort Nelson.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

My fiance and I stayed here on our way north up the Alcan and this was by FAR the best stop of our trip. When i got there, i dealt with Cristy. She is FANTASTIC! She upgraded us to an awesome room for free at an amazing price. It was just what we needed on our long trip. The room was huge, with a great king bed, and an amazing jacuzzi tub. She checked on us every time she saw us in the lobby. We should have gone to the restaurant in the hotel, but we went to boston pizza instead, DONT go there. Huge mistake. Worst service ever. Your missing out if you dont stay at this hotel and ask for Cristy, she was awesome. Thanks!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Woodlands Inn! Our staff is very pleased to hear that you had a fabulous experience during your visit to Fort Nelson. Our ONE Restaurant offers a weekly Fresh Sheet, bringing new flavors to the menu created by our Executive Chef. We look forward to having you stay with us upon your return to Fort Nelson BC!

Reviewed 6 June 2012 via mobile

Another great stay. Dependable, welcoming, accommodating and friendly staff and VERY comfy beds and pillows. Ask for a king size bed! Hungry? Look no further. The adjoining restaurant is darned fine!

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Woodlands Inn. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Our ONE Restaurant is open for breakfast and dinner, and 1 Lounge offers dinner service until 9 PM. We look forward to having you stay with us again upon your next visit to North-Eastern BC!

Reviewed 30 May 2012

We spent one night at Woodlands Inn and Suites on our northbound road trip on the Alaska Highway. The hotel advertises itself as the "only full service hotel in Fort Nelson," and the hotel may well be the finest lodging option in Fort Nelson. The Super 8 looked nice from the outside, and I did not get a good glimpse at the Lakeview Hotel.

There were certainly a number of positives about our stay. The room was clean and quiet and the beds were very comfortable. However, there were several aspects about the hotel that we found offputting.

1. One of my biggest hotel pet peeves is toilets without full seat covers (to be transparent, I am male). In my view, the lack of a full seat cover screams "cheap." Our room did not have a toilet with a full seat cover. I found this unacceptable for a "full service" hotel.

2. The hotel does not have wireless internet. In my view, wi fi access (even if it is paid) is "de rigueur" in a hotel these days. The hotel did offer wireless in the lounge or restaurant, but only when those are open, which was not the case when we arrived mid afternoon.

3. We were given Room 326. Room 326 looks out at a brick wall on the hotel's new "extended stay" wing. When my wife commented about our view to the front desk clerk later in the day, my wife then added the comment that they must be busy since we were assigned that room. The clerk's response was that they were not busy, she was just new and didn't know the rooms. She had told me the 3rd floor was quieter and that is why she booked us on the third floor, so give her half credit I guess.

4. The first time I used the hot water tap in the bathroom, some air came through the faucet and then a brief burst of rusty water. We did not see that again, and a different front desk clerk told my wife he had never heard of that happening before. But I saw it and it was disconcerting.

5) This is perhaps more of an annoyance than a negative comment, but this is one of those hotels in which the wall plugs are controlled by light switches. The one open plug near the desk was an ideal place to plug in a laptop, but it was turned off when we came into the room. Took about 30 seconds figuring out why the plug was not working and to turn on the relevant switch. In today's electronic age, the least a hotel could do is to leave the switches turned on, I would suggest.

In summary, I found the hotel lacking in a few key "amenity" areas. However, it may well be one of the better lodging options in Fort Nelson. And as noted, the beds were comfortable and the rooms quiet.

Two final comments:

1) The hallways take a bit of getting used to - with no windows and with the gray brick walls. It's not altogether ugly - it just feels a bit like one is in a cave.

2) My impression was that the hotel caters more to the extended stay guest - likely a business person - than they do the casual road tripper such as ourselves.

Room Tip: Obviously, avoid room 326 if you want an outside view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jbtexas

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Woodlands Inn. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable beds and quiet rooms during your stay. Regarding the internet, the Woodlands Inn uses iHotel, which is the most reliable high speed internet service offered in the north. The reason for having hardwired internet in our guest rooms rather than wireless is because of the concrete walls used to isolate noise in the hallways. However, our hardwired internet service is very reliable and maintains a strong connection. We appreciate any feedback that our guests may have regarding their experience at the Woodlands Inn. Our staff is looking forward to having you stay with us upon your next visit to Fort Nelson!

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed here on my way back to Alaska. I thought about staying at Fort Nelson Hotel again but I wanted to test out something new.

The staff proves to be very friendly and nice. I got a first floor room but I notices that they didn't put anyone over me so that was very nice as well. The room was clean, bathroom was clean and overall I had a pretty quiet and peaceful stay. The Internet worked fine although I had to go on a exploration mission to find the ice machine!! Its a pretty big hotel.

The hotel appears to be remodelling or whatever. One thing I smell during the night was dusty concrete although I had no idea where it was coming from. It was a long drive from Jasper National Park so I was too tired to complaint and I didn't wake up covered with concrete dust but the smell was there during the night although not the substance.

I suppose that is the penalty for coming during the off season before the hotel can get ready for the summer rush. But still, a guest shouldn't be bother or concern about this.

Room Tip: Ice machines are located on the 3rd floor behind the middle elevator!! The one in the second floor w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
woodlandsinnsuites, Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Woodlands Inn. We appreciate any comments that our guests may have regarding their experience. Our hotel is currently installing their second elevator that will be operational in the next month. We apologize for the disturbance from the outcome of this installation, but rest assured that the front desk will be advising guests on the lobby white board of the next time these updates undergo maintenance. We hope to have you stay with us upon your next visit to Fort Nelson.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

This hotel is much bigger, quieter and cleaner that I would have ever expected. Considering how remote Fort Nelson is, and that the Alaska highway is the sole reason for traveling through this region, the accommodations were first rate! The check in was simple and took less than one minute. The rooms are quiet, probably due to the solid concrete construction of the whole building. The fit and finish of the furniture and the bathroom were clean and simple. The restaurant made a large breakfast at six in the morning and it was well worth the cost. There was no eating establishment open upon our arrival, but we found a great place just down the road, a few minutes away. This place is a great place to stop and get some quality rest before venturing North along the highway.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
woodlandsinnsuites, Manager at Woodlands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Woodlands Inn & Suites. We appreciate all the feedback that our guests may have about their experience at the hotel. ONE Restaurant is open for breakfast and dinner, however there are restaurants in the vicinity that do offer a variety of lunch items. Our staff is happy to hear that you enjoyed our full breakfast in the restaurant, and we look forward to having you stay with us again upon your next visit to North Eastern BC.