“Surprisingly good!”

Shannon Motel
Shannon Motel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Fort Nelson
Reviewed 16 August 2011

From the outside, the Shannon looks unpromising---my wife said "Let's bring anything valuable inside!" But it turned out to be surprisingly nice!

PROS:
• Big, comfy room---we got the King room, and it had not just a bed and table, but also a plush couch, armchair, big TV, fridge and microwave.
• Very clean (though the smell of cleaning products was a little fierce)
• WiFi in room (the fancy Woodlands up the road doesn't have this!)
• Great price ($100 less than said fancy Woodlands)

CONS
• Some weirdly missing amenities---there was a coffee maker but no coffee cups

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel M
There are newer reviews for Shannon Motel

Reviewed 29 June 2011

filthy, disgusting sheethole, oh did I say filthy ?, mould in the washroom, unknowns behind the beds....did I say sheethole ? Next time I'm in that area, the only stop will be the museum as it is very cool, and maybe a stop at the motel to get my money back, that disgusting stop put a sour note on an otherwise great tour to the Yukon

Room Tip: go up the road
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Paid over $90 for one night. Room reeked of lysol, had 3 mattresses stacked on one another. Absolutely rank!! Had I not been so cold and tired would have nosed around the neighborhood. Place didn't look bad from out front, but once you go through the door, be prepared. All I could think of was bedbugs and examined myself and whatever i took inside closely. Not a nice place to stay!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I stayed at Shannon Motel for one night in October of last year.
I have stayed at this motel before but I was very impressed when I visited there again.
The entire hotel had a major renovation and I had a great night with very accomodating and friendly staff. (There was a new manager who was very kind and helpful to accommodate my comfortable stay)

Room was very clean and a new LCD 32" TV, new set of chairs and sofa and new wood flooring were very nice.

I would highly recommend Shannon Motel to anyone who travel along Alaska Highway because the room rate is reasonable and the overall service was excellent and I would certainly choose Shannon motel again for my stay!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank VancouverBlossom
Reviewed 19 January 2011

The man wated me out by 7 pm, I had only been there for 12 hours and paid an extra $20 because I was checking in early. I was sound asleep ( I am on meds) and tthe guy walks in to my room with the master key. no partying or nothing I had come out of camp and needed most of the day to attend to business and went to sleep at about 4:30 pm.
Anyway when he entered my room he told me I had to lget out of bed and leave. I told him I had paid the full rate. That didn't matter if I did not leave he would call the police. 10 minutes later the police arrives and suggested it was a misunderstanding between him and I. Well I still left tired and groggy and went on the road in a snowstorm. The police stopped me going out of fort nelson at 8 pm to inform me of the bad road conditions. Dec. 22/2011.
I have stayed at the Shannon quite a few times before in the last 20 years or so but this must be a new owner. He will not see me again. My total bill on credit card was $122.02......for 30 or 40 bucks more I could have stayed in a decent, clean place. It was truly a horrible experience.
my email is simonsshepherd@hotmail.com if any one needs to verify

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank simonsshepherd
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I have to give this place credit. I have never - ever - seen such creative and liberal use of caulk in my entire life. And this is from a guy who believes a little duct tape and caulk can fix just about any household malady. If I were to make a an estimate, a conservative estimate mind you, I’d have to say that the shower stall in this place was about 50 percent caulk and 50 percent “soon to be caulked“. Whatever infinitesimal amount remained consisted of plastic bath tiles or, more often than not, glue covered sheet rock (plaster…cement…who knows) where a plastic tile used to call home. The bathroom in this place was awful, there is no other way to describe it. The rest of the motel was, well…what you’d expect for $89 Canadian per night I guess. The walls were painted cinderblock and the sheets were a shade of yellow that did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. They had somehow attached a flat screen LCD TV to one of the cement walls so it had that going for it…but that’s about it. The biggest problem with this place was, despite that fact that it is a single level motel made out of cement, you can hear every footstep your next-door neighbor takes. I’m not entirely sure how they accomplished this, but in a cinder block motel, it is truly a wonder of engineering incompetence. It may be worth staying here simply for the experience. Then again…it’s may not.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Old motel and not well maintained. You get used to the smell after a few hours and a couple of glasses of wine. Then the tick tock of the wall clock drives you crazy until it finally lulls you to sleep. Then if you can sleep through the cars crunching the gravel in the parking lot, you have it made. There is a nice big flat screen TV though.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family