“Beautiful Location, Needs Help on Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Emerald Lake Lodge

Emerald Lake Lodge
Washington DC
“Beautiful Location, Needs Help on Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Emerald Lake Lodge sits in a Gorgeous location in Yoho NP. We loved the view from our King Lakeview Room. Walking around the lake and taking in all the beautiful views was wonderful. We also enjoyed being close to some nice trails for great hiking.

Unfortunately they really have some issues with service here. The staff are all pretty young and inexperienced. Most of the staff were students in town for the summer. When we first checked in we drove up to the front and one of the drivers of the ELL van caught an attitude with me to move my car. (I was waiting out of the way of other cars in the guest lot with my hazards on) Not sure what his problem was, my husband had walked up to the registration to find out where we were supposed to park. (We missed the sign for the overnight parking.) When we did get our car parked they had no intention of helping me unload bags from my car. My husband had walked to the phone to call the front desk and in the meantime the van had come, so I started to get my luggage out. I was the only guest on the bus and the driver just stood outside watching me. Strange? When we got to registration, they unloaded our bags and said they could bring them to the room. We carried some of the items (backpacks) to help with the number of items and he just looked at us and said, "Whatever" with an attitude.

Check-in was ok but we asked several questions to the front desk staff who were not helpful and seemed to have an edge and attitude. At one point I needed some help making a call and she told me I would need to find the number myself and call. I told her I had no service and would appreciate if she could help me out and make the call for me! I even saw a waitress roll her eyes at another guest when he asked for something. Just not the type of warm welcome and service you see from other great hotels.

We also had an extra charge show up on our bill at check-out. An entire meal…not sure where that came from, considering we knew exactly how many times we dined at the restaurant. They did remove it, but I am glad I caught it. There were other small issues that came up during our stay, but in the end it pretty much comes down to service. More smiles, better attitude and genuine kindness could go a long way for this place. They were not even at full occupancy so I am surprised they couldn't treat the guests who were there well! Out of our entire experience there, we only had one waitress in the lounge that was great.

The rooms are cute and rustic and I really enjoyed the setting at Emerald Lake. If they can get the staff trained a little better on customer service this place would be a real gem. Until then, stay here if you want nice views (get the lakeview) and know what you are getting into with service.

Room Tip: King Lake view room!
1 Thank Travcarib
CRMRManagement, General Manager at Emerald Lake Lodge, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback on your recent stay at Emerald Lake Lodge. I would like to apologize for your negative experience at our lodge. I assure you that is not the standard we strive for. If you like to speak further about these issues, please do not hesitate to contact me.
ellmanager@crmr.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is one of the hotels you really have to stay in. Room 1202 king room with lake view was amazing. Just sitting on the balcony watching everyone on the lake was great. Even the girls singing Let it go brought a smile to your face. Bed was really comfortable. We had a meal at the restaurant which was great. Staff were very helpful. Make. Sure you do the walk around the lake.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I went there last weekend - what a great escape! I love the lake - gorgeous!! the lodge itself was quiet, even though it was busy. The fireplace is a great addition to the room - makes you feel so comfy! I loved the fact that I was able to have a ride from a parking spot to the registry place, however I wish that overnight parking could be easily accessible without any additional equipment used. The room was clean, even though the lodge itself definitely needs some upgrade. I'd say it is a bit overprice for what it has to offer. Also keep in mind that there is no Wi-Fi in rooms, it is available only at registry. No TV either, winch is good as you get to go out and enjoy the scenery!

1 Thank Maria G
Hants England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a lodge overlooking the lake, however miles from anywhere you need a car Field being the nearest place but is a small town. The lodge is not run down but could do with a little spruce up. My main complaint is that we ate twice in the restaurant. The first time we must have had the most dull waitress I have ever met. We had an extra dinner put on out bill, when we pointed it out the reply was " oh I must have put it to the wrong table" no apology given. The second night an additional bottle of wine appeared on the bill, the waiter said "thanks for telling me" with no eye contact and no apology.
This place is an opportunity for someone with initiative to manage the property to its full potential

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Emerald Lake Lodge. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We would like to apologize for your experience at our restaurant as that is certainly not the food and beverage standard we strive to provide. We hope to welcome you back again in the future where we can offer you the dining experience we are known for!
Buckingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I stayed late May. Although the lake was still semi frozen it was still a lovely view and wonderful location. The staff were very pleasant and the room although a little dated was very clean and we had a wonderful view overlooking the lake.

Room Tip: We were very lucky and had an upstairs room looking directly over the lake. However, some rooms out...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Westampton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

You definitely pay for location when staying here. The view is nothing short of amazing, something you would see on a postcard. We had a room with a king sized bed, balcony and fireplace. We had a great experience, but the rooms definitely need to be updated. That being said, I am super happy we had the experience of staying here. You can be secluded from the rest of the world during your stay. You have easy access to any hike in Yoho and will definitely see wildlife. As far as the food, we planned on having dinner there the first night and doing something different the second night. Our server was Lindsey. We had such a great meal, we booked dinner for the second night and requested Lindsey again. She didn't disappoint, nor did the food. We tried the elk, caribou, and halibut (twice). We didn't eat breakfast or lunch there as we were out and about during those times.

Room Tip: spend the extra money for the lake view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your recent stay at Emerald Lake Lodge. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us, and that you took advantage of dining in the restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here on a dinner and stay package and both the food and room were great. I have left a review about the food separately so will talk about the room. The view of the lake was great from our balcony (we had the top floor of the lodge) and the log fire in the room was a nice romantic touch. We made good use of the hot tub which was lovely and hot and also has a great view of the lake. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. Only slight negative is that the rooms are a tad outdated in their style but would still highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Get a lake room for a view from the balcony
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Field
Mountaineer Lodge
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,302 reviews
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
#3 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Emerald Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!