The Great Divide Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise(Lake Louise)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Deer Lodge(Lake Louise)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Lake Louise Inn(Lake Louise)
View Hotel
Post Hotel & Spa(Lake Louise)
View Hotel
All reviewsmount victoriacontinental breakfastrooms are basicdesperate needstayed longeremerald lakemountainssherbrookeharatrailwinter
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The only positive point is location. It is pretty close to lake O'Hara parking lot. My family of three lived the hotel only one night for $130 plus tax. The room with two queen beds has a LED TV but has NO phone, NO alarm clock, NO hair dryer, NO coffee maker. The bathroom is small but clean. During check-in, the staff in lobby is not friendly and "forgot" giving me the WIFI code, so I have to go back ask for that. Also, the one-day WIFI code can only be used for one equipment at the same time. If you do want to find a place close to Lake O'Hara, try some decent places around Lake Louis, GDL is your last choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank 72JC2007
Reviewed 8 July 2013

If you are looking for affordable accommodation near Lake Louise/Yoho, its definitely worth considering. $89+tax with coupon was value for money and its worth a good part of that to just sit on the patio or in the restaurant with a drink or meal and look across Wapta Lake and over the trees and snow capped mountains. About 15 Kms to Lake Louise and 5 to Field you can cover both areas. The room was clean, recently part refurbished though the bathroom still had a green suite, though perfectly serviceable. The restaurant only had a limited range of food but it was well cooked enjoyable. All rooms are upstairs with no lift. There was no air conditioning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elegy
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

I guess you get what you pay for. We stayed here 2 nights on a pretty cheap ski & stay package. First impression upon entering the reception area was that it was a little rundown. But whatever, that didn't really bother us. Girl on front desk was nice enough. Our room was actually laughable. Not enough room to swing a cat! Tiny old fashioned tv (no remote control, which we found hilarious). No alarm clock or clock to speak of. Curtain was missing some hooks so it wouldn't close properly. The bathroom was very pokey. Toilet had no lid. The bath tap constantly leaked the whole time we were there - granted, we didn't report this, but that was only because we didn't feel comfortable having maintenance people in our room (we spotted the "housekeeping" staff, which was some young unkempt 18 year old guy with a rats tail hair style. We made sure we locked our suit cases when we went out for the day.).
I can live with a tiny old fashioned room but one thing I cannot live with is a terrible sleep. The first night I realised this hotel is basically a party house for the staff. I don't think I saw any staff member over the age of 25 the whole time. I felt like I was staying in a dorm house. Staff were drinking and partying until all hours of the morning, laughing and shouting in the halls, running up and down the halls, playing loud music in their rooms. Our second night I was woken at 2am by staff members coming home from a party and then proceeding to have a loud emotional D&M conversation in the next room - it was so loud I could have given dating advice through the walls.
Don't stay here if you're after a relaxing trip. Don't stay here if you're after peace and quiet. Don't stay here if you've got a young family (not appropriate). Do stay here if you're a 20 something year old traveller who wants to work in BC for the snow season and party it up... Eeek.

• Stayed: April 2013
8  Thank seaoh11596
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Alot of mixed reviews on this hotel.. my personal experience.. Wonderful!!!!!!
we stayed at GDL for 5 days while on a ski trip.
1st of all take into consideration that this is an old rustic place... the power is run from generators and the food is cooked fresh!!!
if your looking for 1st class luxury... go to the chateau.
if your looking for a place to wind down, have a laugh and a glass of wine and cuddle by the fire... this is it!
perfectly situated 15mins away from the ski area, its quiet and not crowded with people.
The staff are friendly and very attentive.
The shuttle was always on time and very convienient for transportation to the hills.
we stayed in suite "A" - what more could we ask for!
it was beautiful! nice seating area and a loft for when we wanted to sleep or have some quiet time.
there was a sauna and a games room with a fire that was always going.
Breakfast in the resturant was fantastic every time.. and the prices were perfect!
The view of the mountains in the morning was breath taking, and the parking lot was always cleared by the time we woke for breakfast...

once again .... it is rustic.. so if you want high class and perfect paint... go to the chateau...
if you want a cozy cottage home feel.. stay here!
Just bring a cell phone or a watch.. there was no clock.
again.. the hotel is run entirely on recycled power.. what a great concept!

Perfect place for a cozy sleep!

Room Tip: Highly recommend the suites as a room choice
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Unless you want to camp, which I wouldn't recommend in February, there is no better value in this area. Expect to pay 300/night anywhere else. For 1/3 that price We got a two-level suite with two beds (one for the kids). The bathroom was a little dirty, the hot water was spotty and the power went out for 5 min in the middle of giving my toddler a bath. Staff were very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed: February 2013