“Good Lower Cost Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Field
Vero Beach, Florida
“Good Lower Cost Hotel”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is a nice hotel. If you stay on the backside away from the road it is surprisingly quiet. The small room has hardwood floors. The beds were comfortable, The tv reception was marginal. Wi-Fi signal was weak.

This hotel is located less than 10 minutes from Lake Louise and the entrance to the Icefields Parkway.

The restaurant on-site was OK. They have a free continental breakfast in the morning. Toast, cold cereal, coffee/tea, and juice.

This hotel is a lower cost alternative in the Lake Louise area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Georden7 W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed two nights in banff and 3rd night was expensive because of friday, so we decided to book a hotel on the way of returning vancouver. This hotel is located 40min drive from Banff towards Golden. Only problem was Check In time, which is 4pm. We arrived 1 hr before, but we were denied to check in early, which I hate the most even though it was my mistake. The front desk person was so rude and I hate to return back, But no choice left at that time. So, we decided to kill time and took a drive around the place and returned 4pm and found different person at the front desk and she was very friendly. LUCKY us! Main problem is you don't have any restaurants near by or McDonnell, Subway or Tim Hortons. So, Please plan yourself or pack your evening snacks until the restaurant opens for dinner. You have to drive either Golden 56 Km or Banff 40 min away for Subway or Tim Hortons. The View was great and Located exactly on the Highway. Best Place to stay especially the view of Rockies. Our Room doesn't have the refrigerator, but staffs were friendly and we gave our Milk products to store in the restaurant fridge.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Everything in the area is over-priced, but The Great Divide Lodge is 2/3 the price of others and has a fabulous location just across Highway 1 from Wapta Lake. Our room was enormous, with two queen beds and almost enough room for two more. The bathroom was basic, but very clean. It is a lodge in a National Park (Yoho), not a luxury resort. But it has a beautiful setting and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I spent one night at the Great Divide Lodge after driving in from Edmonton. I had tried to book the room the day before I did book the room and were told there was no availability. I called the next day and was able to book a room. I was not given the $89 deal or the deal that they advertise with the gondola... this was a bit disappointing and I'm wondering why the advertise so heavily online and at the gondola if they don't honour this ad? The breakfast was very simple. If you're looking for protein however - look elsewhere... carbs e.g., bread, cereals, c'est tout. No fruit or yogurt to be seen. Room was clean and no nose. i had no issues with power. Very very basic room and bath. Recommend bringing your own shampoo as this one did nothing for my hair :).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JCastell2414
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

After reading numerous poor reviews, I felt it was time to chime in my own after this weekend.

I went climbing in the canmore region the day before a mountaineering trip to climb mount Victoria and stay at abbot pass, the problem was that during high season, all hotels are booked, hostels are full, and car camping was frowned upon.

Nearly two minutes from the Lake O'hara staging area, the great divide lodge had a room for me for only a hundred dollars (which is very very low during high season near Lake Louise). I snapped it up.

I had a great shower, comfortable bed, wifi, and everything else I could need. I got a great night's rest, a hot shower to clean off limeston dust from climbing, a continental breakfast, and scaled Victoria the next day from abbot pass. I NEEDED a hotel, and Great divide lodge provided. Was I there to party and whip it up? Not exactly -I was so tired I could barely put my car into park.

People knocking this place are overly fussy and have unrealistic expectations. The hotel runs off of a distant diesel generation system, as there is no power linkages from field or Lake Louise. With their power costs being nearly a dollar a minute, they obviously have to make limitations (my room has no appliances except a TV, to prevent power waste.) Wifi is intermittent, and that's understandable. If you notice where the hotel is, you'll soon understand it's holding its own and is in proximity to no other sources. Yes, there is a train nearby, but that can be heard from most of Lake Lousie and field regardless.

I have stayed at numerous Fairmonts, and even the Savoy in London. Why was I not disappointed with the GDL? I needed a bed, warm water, shelter, and something to eat in the morning. I did not arrive expecting super highspeed wifi, or cavier and dom perignon. There are times where a place to stay is what's needed, especially in a prime location; this hotel delivers. If you are a fussy baby that wants black tie accomodations, shell out three hundred and stay at the fairmont. I had the essentials; Alarm clock, TV for weather, outlets for charging devices, clean water, a phone, and a lamp. Everything else you may need is downstairs - remember they are working hard to save power, and this is why coffee makers and fridges are not seen in the rooms. Staff was warm, friendly, and receptive that I simply wanted somewhere to sleep and some food in the morning.

I cannot comment on the noise or other guests - some people have noted parties or loud kids. I will say this; I have stayed at hotels nearly 5 times the cost, and have had screaming kids fighting in the hallway, while the parents continue to slam the headboard in the adjacent room; price will not always be a guarantee of comfort. My stay was clean, quiet and safe. Other patrons were either Oriental or German families that simply wanted somewhere to sleep. My room (21) was clean and recently renovated. I did not want to leave the comfortable bed in lieu for a sleeping bag the next day.

When I return to climb Lefroy and hungabee, I will stay at this hotel again. When I come back to ski the Wapta traverse, I will stay at this hotel again. When I go to lake louise to go snowshoeing, and fine dining, I will stay at the chateau. Each place has a suitability to it. You need to evaluate your reasons for staying here, and appropriately gauge your expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite side from the desk (20's and upward) are away from the train on TC1. There...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jeremy K
Seattle
Reviewed 14 August 2013

It was clean and a great location and price. About 15 minutes to Lake Louise. We stayed in the lodge for $99. and enjoyed our night there. The staff was great and the dinner was good. Great views and again great location.

Room Tip: Back side rooms are quite.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
USA
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed three nights in July 2013, quite satisfied with everything. Breakfast is kind of symbolic but we did not count on any so we were OK with that. Large, clean rooms, great service. Location is perfect for trips to Yoho, Jasper, Banf and other parks. Great views.

Room Tip: travelling with a pet - room 44 represents the best location as it it the furtherst away from highwa...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank awconsol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Field
Deer Lodge
Emerald Lake Lodge
Paradise Lodge & Bungalows
Paradise Lodge & Bungalows
#1 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to The Great Divide Lodge? Share your experiences!