This hotel was actually fairly nice, but our expectations had been inflated by the hotel's description of the rooms having "mountain views". In fact, out view was of 6 other log cabins (although you could just about see the tip of a mountain from certain angles, over the top of the other cabins). The cabins were only a few metres apart and far from feeling private and secluded, it felt quite crowded. Our initial reaction was, therefore, disappointment.
Having said that, the staff were lovely, the room was actually very nice and well decorated (although small), and the main cabin was really nice and cosy with lovely views.
If it hadn't been so expensive, we probably would have been quite happy with the hotel. However, it didn't feel particularly good value for money.
The restaurant was very nice, but pricey and the menu was limited. We ate there once, but there was only one vegetarian option (we are both veggies) and whilst the waitress offered the mushroom soup without meat, no alternative main courses were offered.
However, there is a really nice restaurant in the village of Field (a couple of km away) called The Truffle Pig (attached to the Kicking Horse Inn) which I would recommend. It was much cheaper, very friendly and had a varied and interesting menu. I got the impression that a few of the other Cathedral Mountain Lodge guests felt the same way as us, as we saw them at the Truffle Pig.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy our Timber Frame lodge located in stunning Yoho National Park on the banks of the Kicking Horse River; providing unsurpassed guest excellence and attention to detail while surrounded by the lovingly re-claimed Douglas Fir post and beams. If you love the great outdoors but also love luxurious comfort, Cathedral Mountain Lodge is your perfect Canadian Rockies destination. Allow us to indulge all of your culinary senses at our Riverside Restaurant and Lounge, featuring Western Canada's best in-season regional cuisine, complimented by our diverse well-crafted wine list. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Cathedral Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cathedral Mountain Hotel Field
- Cathedral Mountain Lodge Canada/Field