“Great food, fun atmosphere”

Truffle Pigs Bistro & Lounge
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Field
Price range: US$7 - US$31
Cuisines: Canadian, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A 13 room post and beam family run lodge in the heart of Yoho National Park in Field, BC. Truffle Pigs Lodge is freshly renovated and prides itself on offering families and couples relaxing, clean and affordable accommodations. Truffle Pigs Bistro is an award winning Bistro and Lounge that serves fresh, local and hand made foods, BC wines, beer and a great selection of spirits. Truffle Pig food is simply scrumptious , made by real people, in real time with real food ingredients. Our menu offers a wide range of gluten free options and we welcome children and families in the restaurant. Truffle Pigs Bistro and Lodge has been described as the "jewel" of Yoho National Park, "unpretentious" & one of the most relaxed and tasteful properties in the Canadian Rockies. You won't find a concierge, corporate uniform or chandelier on property but you will find the concierge and staff from other properties eating and hanging out.. Full of locals, local lore and local charm.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Couple in our 50's, sat at the bar because it was a Sat. night and place was very busy. Food and service were both excellent. Would definitely recommend it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The place is very nice and in a magnificent setting. The food is good and in my opinion not badly priced. So what's left? Oh yeah, service.

The first mistake was mine. As I approached from the north (?) I didn't come upon the front door, I came to the deck seating and entered from there. So I inadvertently bypassed the host(ess) station. And the host walked up and observed that I looked lost. Well, not really. I was standing in the middle of a restaurant surrounded by tables. I knew right where I was. And said so. So he encouraged me to take a seat, So I pointed to a table and said "how about here?" Ooooops, wrong. My bad.

There are 5 tables right at big windows looking directly out at that great view. And I dared to pick one of them. For whatever reason, they place only all 5 of their tables for 4 at the windows, For parties or one or two, we get to sit across the aisle. From the standpoint of the view (that *IS* what we're all there for), distinctly significantly inferior. He said they were "busy." I suspected not. (And there really was no evidence of that.)

I was there for lunch and it was approaching 3 pm. 2 of the 5 tables with view were open. During my entire lunch, 2 or 3 of these tables were always available. (I had suspected exactly this, Maybe I could educate this host on the nature of the hospitality business.) For a while before I left, 4 of the 5 tables were vacant. That did not improve my mood.

After I was seated, the waitress came by to ask if I'd like to order a drink. Sure, what's on tap? She tells me there's a pale ale and a lager. I ask for a pale ale. A moment later, she shows up with what is decidedly a lager. Yes, I would have overlooked this error if I weren't already very irritated.

(I noted a woman (seated at the table I had requested) ordered a Bloody Mary, NOT spicy). I observed her discovering it was *very* spicy and she could not drink it. It sat there undrunk for virtually her entire meal before the waitress noticed that something must be amiss.)

Quality service is a good thing. Not something I observed here.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The food here is hip and the location offers an escape from the regular tourist route. While not up to the standard of Chateaux Lake Louise, it offers an alternative fun sensibility. Great for a casual night out or dinner after a day's adventure. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was tasty and the atmosphere was relaxed. Don't expect a grand view, the train line runs right between the restaurant and the highway with freight trains easily visible from the restaurant windows. Go for the fun and enjoy a Field experience.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

A colleague highly recommended this bistro and she was spot on. I took a road trip with my sons and visited Field. We had their special - rack of lamb - delicious. The service was very good - but you need to be mindful of the hours, i.e., dinner begins at 5pm. We ate on the patio and had a spectacular view of the mountains surrounding us. Very good wine menu - they served local Okanagan - which highlighted the meal.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

If you like good atmosphere, artistic meal presentation, and fine taste, then this bistro might be for you. But don't eat here if you are looking for reasonable meal portions and fair food value pricing. Our meal portions were very small and way over priced. My son and I ordered Grilled Chicken and Tortellini. Our meal consisted of white bread, two tiny peppers, and three hollow medium sized tortellinis with sauce, all for 26 dollars. The chicken? Well, it was actually one tiny ingredient of the table spoon sized paste spread loosely across the surface of the tortellini bottoms. Not exactly what we had expected for 26 dollars. A rip off!

2  Thank roosten
Sean C, Owner at Truffle Pigs Bistro & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Extremely Disappointing

LEt me begin by stating I am never please to read a negative review about our restaurant and hotel. However, I do appreciate feed back weather positive or negative. My staff and I work extremely hard to create remarkable experiences for all our clientele and we are always striving to better our products and services so thank you for taking the time to write your review. In my 20 years as a restaurant chef and owner I have never had a review about our portion sizes ...most of our clients express the opposite and come to our establishment to pig out.

The Tortaloni you or your son ordered is a hand made product that most people raved about. In fact we have not received one complaint about it ... you are the first. IT is possible that the pasta bundles split letting the chicken seep out but my highly professional kitchen should have noticed this. If they didn't , I truly apologize and will speak with my kitchen. In the future, we ask all our clients to speak with us directly at the time of a problem so we have the opportunity to fix a simple problem and you the customer get a full belly and are happy with your purchases. We don't see any value in any customer leaving our bistro disgruntled; especially when most problems are easily rectified. In most cases, as our reviews show, Truffle Pig customers are extremely happy customers . Again I apologize for not meeting or exceeding your expectations.

I hope you will visit us again and try our remarkable food. When you do venture back, please let my staff know you are here again, I would like the opportunity to meet you and change your first impression.

Executive Chef/Owner