“Fantastic views”

The Spencer on Byron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
“Fantastic views”
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Nice place great views. Needs little bit of updating but was clean and tidy. Room service was quick and of high standard, the steak was one of the best we've had. The only problem we had was the cot had no floor in it and the mattress sagged waking the baby hence not a good sleep. Our bed was good and we were happy overall.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
spenceronbyron, Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Hello Brett and thank you for your comments, much appreciated. I will review the situation with the cot immediately. Having two children myself I know how important a good sleep is! I do hope to welcome you back sometime soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Snells Beach, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Gorgeous views, comfortable room (although a few cushions on the straight up and down couches wouldn't go astray), easy to find and parking available.

LOVED the gym and spa. Loved being about to walk to the mall, market and other shops.

Great location to get to a lot of places. Recommended.

Room Tip: Really glad we went for a 1 bedroom (rather than studio) as it comes with a full kitchen for those w...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Brenda, hello and thank you for your review. We are blessed with a great Gym, pool and tennis court onsite for all guests to use so I am pleased to read that you enjoyed it! I have made a note about the cushions for the couch. Thank you for taking some time out to tell us.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We had a lovely view of the sea from the sitting room. The bed was very comfortable which is important. We had some biscuits to greet us.

Unfortunately our case had not been brought up as arranged and it was very late so we had to go down to get it!

I suggest that the front desk should ask if one needs a coupon for the parking area as one books in. We could have been clamped as we had not realised that this was necessary.

The facilities in the room were excellent. We even had a washing machine and dryer! The sofa however was very hard and needed cushions. We had to use our pillows to lean against.

The buffet breakfast had plenty of choice.

Overall a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the sea.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
spenceronbyron, Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for your business.

I can see that there are a couple of areas that we can improve with and we will continue to work on these so that we can improve our service.

Should you find yourself needing accommodation in Takapuna again, please come back and see us!
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed here last week with 2 children. Rollaway that was requested was there on arrival. We were on the 17th floor. The views were lovely. It was windy one night and we didn't hear any wind in the room. Reception were always helpful. It is an easy walk to the Westfield Shore City Shopping Centre and plenty of places to eat nearby. I had a car and never had an issue with parking. Even though the weather was a little on the cool side my children enjoyed their daily swim in the 38 or 28 degree pools. Yes it is a little tired but I think that is reflected in the price. Everything was clean and neatly presented. Washer and Dryer in the room was handy. We opted for a one bedroom apartment. Only criticism I have is that the location of the tv in the main bedroom made it awkward to get into the wardrobe. Definitely value for money in a lovely location though. If you are like me and not a fan of heights I would ask for a room lower down on departure the staff mentioned that floors 9 and 10 would be the best.

Room Tip: Floors 9 and 10 for those that don't like heights, that would you can enjoy the balcony and the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
I was very pleased to read your review all the way from New York! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your comments.
New Zealand
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The rooms and facilities are now looking a bit tired and the service is average. A couple of times I've asked for things at reception and they never have anything (eg a phone charger to borrow). There isn't enough parking for a major hotel. It's the only real hotel on the North Shore, so they should do better. It's quite near the Takapuna shops though, which is good.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have an ok view, but they're a bit tired.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, we try our very best to please all our guests and I am disappointed to read your comments. We must always look to improve and appreciate your honesty.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed on a business trip and found it very comfortable and pleasant. Be sure to ask for a room with a view towards Takupuna Bay for some pretty sunrise views. The gym was well equipped and not crowded even had a personal trainer if you needed to book one for your workout (for a fee). The room was spacious and comfortable. I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room o the igher levels (although be warned the wind does howl through a bit) and facing t...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Spencer. We are blessed with some fantastic views, particularly on a brilliant sunny day! I do hope to welcome you back sometime soon.
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 September 2013

When I booked on line i could not choose the family unit and I needed an early check in as going to a wedding. I called the hotel to discus by requirements and they were very accommodating. when we arrived they 12.30 they had our rooms ready and we got the adjoining rooms as requested. secure parking, great view and only a few hundred meters to shopping. will stay again. outdoor pool on the 2 floor gives you that holiday feeling and at 28deg nice and warm.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we really aim to please every guest and your review makes me feel very proud! Please do come back and see us again sometime soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
VR Takapuna
Pullman Auckland
Pullman Auckland
#13 of 67 in Auckland
Grand Millennium Auckland

Been to The Spencer on Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!