“Toilet didn't flush. No car park”

The Spencer on Byron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Napier, New Zealand
“Toilet didn't flush. No car park”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

We arrived on Sat arvo. Hotel was busy. We found our toilet not flushing properly and we we brought that to staffs attention we were told that there wasn't any maintenance people on at the weekend but they would do their best to sort it. We went out in our vehicle on Sat evening only to find that all car park was full and we had to park out on the road, this was not ideal as the reason we chose to stay here was because we had a secure car park. We were also told that the toilet had still not been fixed and that there wasn't anything that could be done as the hotel was full. We used a rubbish bin full of water to flush the toilet. Toilet was fixed on Sunday afternoon. Coffee and a few other basics were not replenished by housekeeping. I waited to see if they would offer any compensation for the toilet parking issues before complaining to management. The duty manager and receptionist were very nice on our checkout and after I raised this with them they offered us fifty percent discount of our last nights stay. This is supposed to be a top hotel and we were a wee bit disappointed. Nice pool, gym, tennis courts. Room was a bit tatty but very comfy bed and lovely view. Service was good on checking in and check out but on the Saturday night was the worst attitude displayed by hotel staff that I have ever experienced.

Room Tip: Request a balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cushla P
spenceronbyron, Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Hello Cushla and thank you for taking the time to write us a review which I was disappointed to read. We aim to provide the very best levels of service that we can and would seem on this occasion that we did not deliver to your expectations. I can assure you that I will be following up to look for areas of improvement. If you do need to stay in Takapuna again, we would love to have stay with us again and I invite you to contact me so that I can look after you personally.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here with our two daughters and were impressed by the view and the size of the rooms.
The rooms were not high end my any stretch of the imagination, but well priced considering the close proximity to Takapuna.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Northland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in a studio room, having previously stayed in a 1 bed suite. The room was large with 2 queen beds and spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfortable and I didn't hear a thing from elsewhere all the time I was there (room 1302). The room was also well away from the lifts. The bathroom did not have a bath but the shower was roomy and had great pressure. The view was looking out over to Auckland CBD and the marina and quite spectacular at night. I did not have transport (car in for service) for the full day I was there but there was plenty to do in and around Takapuna within walking distance. Recommended if you need to be on the North Shore. Transport links excellent, although the Auckland traffic was horrendous.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Back again and nothing has changed - it is still a great place to say welcome to Takapuna, Auckland, North Harbour.

The rooms are well appointed, the rooms clean and spacious, the small kitchenette well appointed and the views are brilliant. Views you can never get sick of.

Easy walk to down town Takapuna and the restaurant offers a good selection of various dinners all well prepared by the chefs, and bar are well stocked and offer great service.

Yep, great to be home away from home.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
spenceronbyron, Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
We really appreciate your honesty, your time and your repeat business and I am very pleased to read that we are your home away from home and I look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.

Thank you!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Have stayed at this hotel a number of times. Love the location close to beach and shops and Sunday markets. I am a local but occasionally have a mother and daughters getaway. I was a bit disappointed this time as I had paid the extra per day to have a rooms with Rangitoto views etc but was looking straight into the AIA building with a little bit of sea on either side. Parking in the basement carpark is very difficult and at times no parking for customers staying at hotel. Unfortunately this stay turned out to be a very expensive one as I did a considerable amount of damage to my car while turning around one of the concrete pillars in carpark that had a low metal unmarked surround !!. I was offered a free breakfast as I was leaving but could not accept at that time because I had to get away. Maybe a free breakfast voucher for 2 to be used later would be nice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hello Sue and thank you for your repeat business, we enjoy many repeat customers and you are most important to our business.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not as impressed as you have been in the past and would very much like to talk with your directly so that we can learn and improve.

Thank you Sue, I look forward to talking with you and to welcoming you back sometime soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

On the positive side, this is a good hotel with some great views and is located near Takapuna beach. Although away from the city it is not far to travel in outside of rush hours. The rooms were a good size and the staff friendly. My room had a kitchenette with a microwave and a toaster which could be useful.

Takapuna has some good shops, bars and restaurants and is only a couple of minutes walk.

On the negative side the hotel was fairly expensive, the ran out of the choice of food at breakfast if you came down after 8 and the room decoration is average rather than great.

Room Tip: High city views are good....
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Northland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

House Keeping. Standards not my cup of tea. on discovering the state of this room at almost midnite after a very long day, To be greeted with a musky damp smell in the room. then to sit on the bed before getting some sleep, looking directly into the bathroom at the level I was sitting seeing the filthy toilet that made me feel sick. being so tired at this stage, just shut the door .. For a 4 Star Hotel. Ponders the cleaning standards. Great location, enjoyed the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Linda A
Hello Linda and thank you for your feedback. I am very disappointed to read that our cleaning standards did not meet your expectations, particularly as this is so important and top of our priority list. We have reviewed the situation and put plans in place to address this.

I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and our restaurant.

If you are returning I would encourage you to contact me (Terry Holt) personally so that I can look after you.

Thank you once again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
VR Takapuna
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,192 reviews
Aristotles North Shore
Aristotles North Shore
#1 of 1 in North Shore City

Been to The Spencer on Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!