“Fantastic views, handy location and great beach”

The Spencer on Byron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely come back again. We loved the views and particularly enjoyed using the heated pool and spa. We found the location handy to everything we needed and could easily walk wherever we were going.

On the downside (small things) we didn't like or eat the scrambled eggs at the buffet breakfast, they were too processed looking which was disappointing, it would be nice to have the choice of fried eggs. The breakfast was advertised as $20 per person but we were charged $37. We were given a complicated explanation as to why the charge of $37 was correct however when we repeated that the price was advertised as $20 the charge was corrected.

We had booked for 3 people but the cutlery/towels were for 2 people and our tea/coffee/milk supplies were not refilled when the room was serviced so we had to ask for more.

There was minor damage to the bathroom cabinet which if fixed would make the apartment much nicer.

There were no tennis balls when we went to play tennis as they had been lost by the previous players. We got some tennis balls ourselves but found they went over the wall fairly easily so maybe it would be good to add some wire above the existing wall.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the city and if you're brave try the 19th floor!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We got a great deal on room price over Easter, so we were happy enough.
The room was fine, althought the layout was a bit wierd & the sliding bathroom door was very noisy & only inches away from the bed - so it was impossible to not wake up my partner when I got up in the middle of the night (as I tend to do these days !!).
The bed mattress had us rolling into the middle a bit more than we were used to, but over all the room & facilities were fine.
The service was a bit flakey - when we checked in we overlapped with a customer who was trying to sort out some confusion over her room, and so we got to overhear hotel staff asking (quite loudly) another staff member on the phone 'who signed off your timesheet if you've already left before 5pm' - a bit like Faulty Towers, so we wondered if we'd walked into a comedy festival scketch !!!
When I didn't receive a 'complimentary' newspaper delivered to the room on Saturday morning, the receptionist seems totally confused, and said she'd 'make a note of it'. When we checked out on Monday I enquired a bout the lack of newspaper delivery on Sat. & Sun. only to be told that the promised complimentary newspapers were not delivered on the weekends - so be aware - you have to go buy your own papers on the weekend at the Spencer.
The white wine in the mini-bar fridge was $8.99 rubbush that we couldn't finish - so for $40 we weren't very impressed with that either.
It reminded me of an airport hotel we stayed at recently where we were so tired & then up so early that we didn't care what it was really like - the Spencer give sthe impression that they don't really care either.
So for the price, I guess we got what we paid for - a 3.5 star experience.

2  Thank Noel L
spenceronbyron, Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Hello Noel L,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review.

I am certainly not laughing about your comments as I am simply disappointed.

I will be discussing these issues with my team.

We are better than 3.5 stars, but I understand why you have given us that rating.

In my mind this is not good enough from my team and we must improve, thank you for giving us the opportunity to do so.

If you would like to come back one day, please contact me personally so that I can look after you.

Best wishes

Reviewed 20 April 2014

A last miniute booking,recommended by a friend, not dissapointed ! Arrived after a busy day at work, check in was stress free and very welcoming.A very clean room with very comfortable beds. A bonus was the fantastic views from our room on the 15th floor.
Room service was very prompt. Will stay there again. We were pleased with the price and felt that we recieved value for our money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for following the recommendation from your friend and choosing to stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Come back soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

A nicely placed hotel across the bridge from Auckland. Stayed here to be near family. Room was comfortable with little kitchenette and great facilities in room except no safe. A bit shocked not to have a safe,which is nowadays a must so that you don't carry your passport and all your cash. So, this was difficult. Parking during the day was ok but impossible at night and we had to leave the keys with reception so that they parked it when a space was available. Very friendly and helpful reception and bar.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Moosie57
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We had a great room with fantastic views, we stayed 3 nights with a baby and the one bedroom was perfect for our needs. The servicing by the cleaners was fantastic and they were always very considerate if our son was sleeping - coming back when they would not wake him etc. However the check in trainee was left on her own and forgot things, there was no porters in sight and even though we accepted the offer of help to get the gear to the room (port-a-cot etc) no-one showed up, another guest helped us! Another annoyance was after trekking down to the pool with all the pushchair/child etc we were told that we had to bring the towels from our rooms that none were provided in the pool area and if we did not have any dry ones then we had to go to reception ....once again complete lack of service. In the end I was helped by what I think was a back office staff member (maybe from reservations) ..... front of house need a good kick in the pants!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Hello Pip5ter,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your review, I am very pleased to hear that your enjoyed the views and the space of our one bedroom suites/apartments.

I am also very pleased to read how helpful our housekeepers have been.

What disappointed me was that our front office team let you down and as such let our other departments down.

Consistency is so important in business and it will be this area that I am going to focus on.

Should you ever be in need of accommodation in Takapuna, please do come back and stay with us once again.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband left the hotel around 7am to go to work and approx. 1.2hrs later I heard the door opening thinking he was back. I looked up to see a male staff member standing at the bottom of the bed. Shocked was an understatement. He then walked back towards the door then turned around, came back and apologised! I rang reception immediately and the duty manager came up and paraded a member of housekeeping staff in front of me to verify whether this was the intruder. I wasn't 100% as the room was quite dark and I had just woken up and so didn't want to say yes as I wasn't certain. Once the room card had been checked it confirmed this was the intruder. He did not knock and nor did he announce himself upon entering. Clearly the room was in use with the curtains closed with a suitcase and belongings on the floor and surfaces. Instead of having a relaxing lie in to 11am I made arrangements to check out asap. Ensure you put the latch over the door to avoid the same thing happening to you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank heminz
spenceronbyron, Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Good day Heminz,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you had an unexpected guest in your room whilst you were staying with us. This is a hotel workers biggest fear... walking in on someone in their room. Our policy is to knock 3 times and advise who we are, then to open the door slowly and call out into the room to check once more. It would appear that on this occasion that we did not do this.

We have spoken to our staff member to remind them of our policy and procedures.

Please accept my apologies.

I do hope this has not put you off staying with us in the future as I would love the opportunity to welcome you back.

Best regards

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here in early April 2014. The hotel promises a lot. Good Facilities although the Gym and Pool doubles as a training center. Given that rates you are paying for accommodation you would think that you would have sole use, not that it bothered me that much. what bothered me more was the general cleanliness of the pool area for that high price tag on this accommodation.

The rooms are reasonableley good size, but again the servicing of them is generally poor if not very poor. I even experienced cockroaches in the place on the last night of a free nights stay otherwise would have made a serious complaint, again I would not have expected that for accomadation at this price tag, which fortunately we funded through loyalty points, had I have paid cash I'd be livid at this value for money. There was a leaky pipe in the Carpark that went unattended for 2 days before I advised hotel staff, there had been desiel spilt and it was becomibng a srious hazard after my daughter slipped as a result, only then was it noticed and rectified. We didn't use the Hotel restaurant to witness the cuisine experience, but given my general experience on the 1st night I didn't believe they deserve the opportunity given high price Tag again, where strongly competitive options exist nearby.

The room servicing was particularly poor and inconsistent, eg one day dish cloth was replaced with Tea Towel and placed in a different location, No refilling of Complementary Tea and Coffee or bathroom supplies daily. The appliances in the rooms are the cheapest brands and in very poor condition. Ironing a shirt was almost risked damage to the garment. Again just simply under the expected quality for the price tag.

At best I can only rate this Hotel experience as Poor, very inclined to err on the Side of Terrible. Would I recommend it to anyone. I'd really struggle unless it was there insatiable desire to stay in a hotel room that had a nice view of Takapuna Beach and Rangitoto Island.

For the price Tag in excess of $350 per night (+$1000 for 3 night stay) all be it on AirNZ Airpoints $$, I would not have expected to pay for Wifi services at $19.95 a day extra and as we were staying 3 night's, I would have expected that complementary. I would have possibly expected a view more complimentary offerings at that rate. It's not a good partnership for AirNZ, I advise.

I would recommend the Hotel really makes serious changes to it's quality standards. It's a nice reception area with reasonably friendly front office staff, but judging the book by that cover alone could leave you very disappointed.

They didn't even leave us a customer service form to complete.

Room Tip: Make sure you request to check the room location you are staying in before you confirm booking.
2  Thank Gonz2020

Hello Gonz2020,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing a review. I am very concerned about many of your comments as we have many very happy customers that stay with us and it is disappointing that we were unable to satisfy you on this occasion.

I notice that you stayed in a two bedroom suite which is the highest priced room we offer, we do have options for studio and one bedroom suites which are less.

Consistency in all areas of our business is critical and we will be communicating this with our team.

The leak you mentioned in the basement is being addressed. Our fitness centre and swimming pools located on level 2 are for guests only and these areas are well utilised as they offer a great range of equipment.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the view from your room and I do hope that you enjoyed all that Takapuna has to offer.

Thank you once again for your time, should you ever wish to stay with us again, please contact me directly so that I can look after you.

Best wishes and safe travels,

Terry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
Emerald Inn
#4 of 65 in Auckland Central
The Esplanade Hotel
The Esplanade Hotel
#1 of 2 in Devonport

Been to The Spencer on Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!