“Thyme restaurant”

The Spencer on Byron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Had my grandmother's 90th birthday at Thyme on Saturday afternoon. From the moment we contacted the restaurant by email, our group felt very well looked after. Yelena the restaurant manager went out of her way to make arrangemtns for 20 adults and 3 infants that required high chairs, as well as high quality printed menus with the birthday girl's photo on them. I had the french onion soup to start and sirloin steak as a main, and both were really tasty. Spoke to a lot of the other guests who really enjoyed their meals as well. Even though it was a set menu for our group with 2 choices for starter, and 3 choices for mains, everything was cooked beautifully to order. Would definitely recommend this restaurant for a group booking as the service was great for the 3 or so hours we spent there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
spenceronbyron, General Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

SJR33, Thank you so much for your review of our Thyme restaurant. I am so pleased to hear that your grandmothers day was enjoyed, so very important for a milestone that 90 years of age is!

Best regards

Reviewed 29 June 2014

A well serviced hotel with very good facilities. We recently stayed for a family occasion. We were given a well appointed room with fabulous views, Friendly, helpful staff and parking available if you need it. A great place to stay on the Shore. Close proximity to the beach,shops and the city.
Would recommend and would stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a suite for extra room and a full kitchen Also great views.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Ok. mediocre. pretty bad. A General feeling of tiredness..back in the eighties it was probably good. Cool view of Rangitoto and the city. Open plan, spacious. but its old school and just well …tired. Buffet was ok, ( it was inclusive in our nights accommodation), I would NEVER have paid the price for it otherwise) nothing to rave about at all, coffee was horrendous, my hubby and I couldnt even stomach putting the eggs on our plates they looked so bad (watery and processed) wouldn't recommend sorry

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Ziggyrata,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I am disappointed to read that you feel we are mediocre, but of course I accept your views. This is not good enough and we will continue to look at all areas that we can improve.

We are certainly improving our product by replacing televisions, carpet, stereos along with a regular maintenance and painting plan.

Thank you again for your custom and comments.

We would love to have you back sometime and I invite you to contact me if you wish to so that I can look after your booking personally.

Best regards

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We enjoyed our one night at Spencer. Prime location. Nice pool/Spa area, with lovely ambiance.
Great views from all sides of the hotel. Very scenic. Nice balconies to observe view from.
There were a few little issues, like a picture which was bolted to the wall which was lop sided and could not be straightened. A bit anal, I know but annoying when you try to straighten it.
Shower was not as clean as could have been and the kitchen had very basic crockery ( 2 cups, 2 glasses and only 2 side plates) so when I tried to put out a cheese board for my husband and I to share, it was fiddly. But these were pretty minor overall.
The room was clean and beds were nice. The staff were helpful and we would definitely stay again. Thanks Spencer. :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times. The breakfast is fine. The location is excellent. The rooms are adequate. The mattresses are terrible. I have a sore back each time I check out. Perhaps new mattresses have been installed in some rooms, but wow... Every room I've been in definitely needs a new mattress.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Hello CLC48, Thank you for staying with us as often as you have! your business is appreciated.

I am concerned to hear of your issues with our mattresses as all of our beds and mattresses were replaced brand new in late 2011.

We would love to have you stay again and will do what we can to help you enjoy your stay even more.

I will make contact with you directly.

Many thanks

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We recently stayed for a 3 night weekend in The Spencer Hotel. We had not heard of the Hotel before but found it on than internet search of accommodation on in the Takapuna / Devonport area as we wanted to stay near family. We had our 3 and a half year old with us and we felt that the staff were very accommodating - the Hotel certainly felt child friendly.
He especially loved the roof top swimming pool - with superb views.
We thought the food was good value, especially with a free under 12 kids menu.
Overall we found the Hotel staff to be friendly and very helpful, really excellent (they make the Hotel).
The room was good, could maybe do with some updating (such as the carpet), but was clean and spacious and had everything we needed, particularly with the kitchenette.
Overall I would highly recommend the Spencer we were very impressed overall and it was great value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
spenceronbyron, General Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hi LizzieMACK and thank you for choosing to stay with us here at The Spencer Hotel and thank you for your time in writing your review.

I am so very pleased to hear that you found our staff to be accommodating, friendly and helpful, this is exactly what we expect of all of our team!

I agree with you that the pool and kids menu items are a real winner for young families.

I take your point about carpet, we are replacing almost all rooms, one by one this year.

I hope you can come back and stay again sometime.

Best wishes and thanks again

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here for a week while moving house and were totally impressed with everything. Great location, clean, nice staff and amazing views. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was very, very good. The restaurant had a nice buzz as it was busy and even had some local celebs dining in the private dining room which added to the atmosphere. Looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Amazing views from the 18th floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Hello Louise and thank you for your review, I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and I do hope to see you back here again sometime in the future.

Best wishes and thank you for your custom.

Terry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
Emerald Inn
#4 of 65 in Auckland Central
The Esplanade Hotel
The Esplanade Hotel
#1 of 2 in Devonport

Been to The Spencer on Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!