“Good and bad in this review”

The Spencer on Byron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I booked this hotel because I'd heard advertising and had built a picture in my mind of what to expect. Firstly the location is excellent, the view from our room was over the western parts of the North shore, and on the balcony you catch a glimpse of the harbour. The room was spacious our 1 bedroom apartment room with cooking facilities provided flexibility and comfort. There was however very little in the way of utensils to cook with, no coffee plunger provided but plunger coffee sachets, apparently you've got to pay $5 for the pleasure of a plunger. On arrival the windows were so dirty, we called to tell reception who said they get inspected daily but would send someone up to clean them which they did what a difference. The whole place feels a bit unloved, dirty carpets, paint chips etc, and for the price I would expect a cleaner more crisp environment. The front desk staff were pleasant but I suspect under empowered to make decisions that could satisfy a dissatisfied customer. I booked the hotel trough the website and found the descriptions and photos misleading. There was a$20 a day charge foe WiFi which for the price paid per night is high. I'm used to free wifi in most hotels of this price. Would I stay again? For the price charged NO. Overcharged and under delivered is how I'd describe my stay. The room rate doesn't match the delivered and expected result.

Room Tip: Watch for lots of little charges for things most hotels provide free, like coffee plungers, wifi, et...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank mrewin
spenceronbyron, General Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Hello Tim N,

I have just read your very detailed review of our property and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

We enjoy a lot of business from the Auckland region due to our location and facilities.

I do hope you can find time to stay with us once again.

Best wishes

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I loved staying at the Spencer on Byron, we had two rooms connected together and it felt so spacious and very very comfortable. The rooms had wonderful views, and we were only on the third floor!

The staff were lovely, especially at the buffet and front desk.
I loved the buffet most of all, great, quality food. Really delicious healthy options which was great!

Loved the spa. Really nice to be outside sitting in a warm pool during winter.. lush!!

Absolutely loved it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hello Rosa and thank you so much for your review, I am really proud to be reading how you enjoyed your stay with us and your very nice comments about our team.

Please come back and see us some day soon!

All the best.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were really happy with the size of the rooms and all the facilities available, very handy for our family of 4. The food was great, we enjoyed the breakfast buffet and were really happy with the quality. The pool and tennis court are super cool too! Our kids had a blast in the heated pool. We were able to have a very private stay, and the room servicing was excellent. All in all we were really happy with our time spent in this hotel.

Room Tip: For families the two-room bedrooms are amazing! They are huge and have great facilities, incl. wash...
Reviewed 17 July 2014

but 'nickel and diming' was disappointing for a hotel of this category. To charge $4.50 for in-room plunger coffee is nothing short of cheeky. Every halfway decent motel in NZ would make this available free of charge, so this is really irritating as is the $5 charge for a pretty standard bottle of water in the room. On the plus side the room was spacious and well appointed with great views from the 19th floor. The restaurant meals were good and the breakfast buffet had a good range of foods available. Again, the breakfast experience would have been enhanced if guests would not have to sign separately for each flat white or espresso - quite annoying if you have a breakfast meeting. Other hotels manage to ask your room number when you arrive at breakfast and then get you to sign the account when you leave. Much simpler.
Staff were competent enough but nothing special in terms of customer service. the Pullman does significantly better on that front.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
spenceronbyron, General Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hello Angela H, thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I appreciate your honesty and I will most certainly look for areas of improvement.

Thank you once again, I do hope you come back and see us some time.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Helpful staff. Quiet, good parking, value for money. Easy access to Takapuna. Big hotel feel but quiet rooms. TV not working when arrived but fixed immediately. Clean and perfect for family stay. Uncover secure and free parking. Polite and efficient staff.

Room Tip: All rooms had a view of city or sea
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I live on the North Shore, and I am ashamed that I recommended this place to my family who have stayed here a second time. My family stayed here over the Christmas break for about 2 weeks prior......

My family the Latimers, have come here from their home in Dubai, with their 2 children. They have a 1 bedroom unit + a studio for the kids. Checked in on Wed 9th July 2014 till Tues 15th July 2014. I went there to find that Hotel Parking has been reserved for Corporate Companies, and finding a place for them to park their 7 Series BMW, is a mission. Perhaps reserving car parks for guest who hire more than one unit should be considered important too...

The views are awesome, but the rooms are well worn, and the sofas are as hard as rocks, sky tv is very limited... My family are checking out on the 15th, as we are heading to the South Island for sking for 2 weeks, then back to Auckland for a week, before they head home... I will be checking them into a more accommodating Hotel in the City, for the price they are paying to stay here...

Staff are great though, but the hotel is not what I would consider to be top notch place to stay...

2  Thank Malcolm744
spenceronbyron, General Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Hello Malcolm,

I was most disappointed to read your review just now, primarily because you are considering staying in another property on your return.

I do accept your comments and we will ensure we get in contact with you in an attempt to have you come back and stay with us.

Your business is important to us.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Booked suite room with facilities, was not disappointed, more like small flat. Conveniently located for city bus or the more scenic bus/ferry to downtown Auckland.

Hotel service was excellent all staff, without exception were very polite and helpful

Hotel has secure garage which we used, there always seemed to be spaces free certainly in early evening.

Internet has to be paid for but is free in lobby and adequate for checking emails etc.

Thyme restaurant more suited to special meal, but lots of eateries round about, but go early Kiwi kitchens appear to shut at 9pm during the week.

Would certainly use again if in general area.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Maggie,

I really enjoyed reading your review particularly your comments about our staff, which are one of our best assets.

Free internet in the lobby is new for us and is certainly being enjoyed!

I hope you can come back again some time.

Best wishes and happy travels

Terry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
Poenamo Hotel
#7 of 65 in Auckland Central
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel
Waldorf Stadium Apartments Hotel
#21 of 65 in Auckland Central

Been to The Spencer on Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!