“Lovely stay - would come back”

The Spencer on Byron Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
“Lovely stay - would come back”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Loved the hotel. The room was really comfortable and just loved the bed and linen. Nice view. There were 3 of us in the room yet only 2 towels. Requested more and they were supplied promptly. Disappointed there was no bath (as I don't have one at home) but the high pressure amazing shower made up for it. Love the fact there's a balcony so can let fresh air in. Breakfast was WONDERFUL. Had a'la'carte and all 3 of us enjoyed our delicious break. Staff were super friendly in the restaurant too. Top location, quiet, great gym, the pool and spa are awesome looking and in a great location with an amazing view over the city.

Our only major disappointment was that the pool and spa were out of service (although people were swimming). We booked this hotel specifically for that as this was a indulgent hotel stay for us (a first in Auckland for us!) and we were sooo looking forward to a nice hot bubbly spa. Perhaps when the confirmation email is sent out if you know that sort of thing in advance you could include that on your letter - just so we're mentally prepared lol! We do understand that these sort of facilities do required maintenance and need to be taken out of service occasionally, so it's not a big grumble.

We will come back to stay if we can get another good special.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SunlovingKiwi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Spent a night here in mid July 2014. My wife and I, son and toddler daughter stayed in a one bedroom unit. Had heaps of space for the portacot and a fully stocked little kitchen. The staff were very friendly, and the underground carpark was great as it was raining whenever we used the car.The hot pool and pool were a great hit with us all, and a great way for us to wind down the day and get out little one in the mood for bed. Forgot what it was like to watch a movie without ads, so we made the most of the sky movies.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Emma T
spenceronbyron, General Manager at The Spencer on Byron Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Emma T,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your review, very much appreciated.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay!

I hope to see you sometime soon.

All the best
Reviewed 4 August 2014

As a kiwi living abroad I travel home frequently. I stayed at The Spencer for 8 days in February/March 2014.

I am writing this review now as I plan a longer, 3 week trip to NZ in 2015. I considered The Spencer again and it was at that point I just thought "no no no!" That is when I felt compelled to write this review. They just lost around NZ$4000 from me and I thought they should know why.

There are a lot of good points about this hotel but there are two main reasons I won't stay again.

The "free" parking is a nightmare lottery. Many of the apartments in the hotel are privately owned, sold off at some point. This leaves limited parking for hotel guests who are wooed with free parking. Actually, this is on a first come first served basis so it's pot luck if you can get a parking space or not. This is stressful.

Wifi costs virtually nothing to provide these days and it's sad to see a hotel charging exorbitantly for it to make a few extra bucks. Free wifi is an essential at any international hotel so they need to get real about this. It's 2014.

That said there were some great things about the hotel. I was on 15th floor facing south and the views of Rangitoto and the bridge were amazing. The room was lovely although a little tired and there was a big moldy patch on the carpet by the kitchen. The bed and bedding was very comfortable. The bathroom was nice and well maintained. Overall 9/10 for cleanliness. No problems with that.

They should offer guests an option of whether they want a mini bar or not. There is a fridge but the minibar occupied 75% of it. You had to empty it all out before you could use the fridge for your own supplies/goodies.

The restaurant was inconsistent. I ate lunch or dinner there with family and friends a few times. We either got great service or great food but never both at the same time. Such a shame. Some of the furniture in the restaurant was thick with dust too. That put off one of my friends so much that we ate elsewhere. Daikoku just down Hurstmere Road is a short walk and excellent.

I am booking my 2015 three week stay at a 5* hotel down the road that is a little more expensive but offers worry free parking and free wifi.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank AMC P
Hello AMC P,

I have read your review and I feel sad that you are not planning to return and stay with us, but I wish that you would.

I agree with you that on some days parking can be more difficult, this is usually in the months that occupancy is very very high being February and some days in March. We have improved our parking process over the past few months which is certainly helping.

We have also introduced daily WiFi for all hotel guests, all be it limited, but more than enough to cover emails, facebook updates and some surfing. We do offer competitive rates for a weeks Wifi and we are also including this more and more in our packages.

Our mini bar has been reduced quite considerably and we will remove this free of charge if requested.

AMC P.... I would like you to come back and invite you to contact me directly so that I can look after your booking.

Please give us another chance, your business is important to us.

Kiwi on tour
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stay here recently very good. Well placed apartment style accommodation on the North Shore, near Takapuna shopping centre ( 5 min. walk) to bars, restaurants , shopping, easy access off motorway . Good parking undercover /secure. Pleasant staff both helpful and efficient. Had a one bedroom suite - seperate bedroom with good sized en-suite. . Good small kitchenette enough to eat in if doing so. .Above average furnishings , comfortable bed - cleanliness also very good and a bonus if you are on the upper floors (10+) with great views of Rangitoto Island the harbour and the City skyline. Got a good wotif deal , would certainly stay again .

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views of course - city views the best
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello mccdzyne,

I enjoyed reading your review and thank you for choosing to stay with us!

I do hope you can find time to come back some day.

Best wishes
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I attended a conference at the Spencer on Byron in July 2014 and stayed 2 nights. I booked a one bedroom suite on the 17th floor-the view was lovely looking across to Rangitoto Island. It was a lovely room with a great view, it had a full kitchen too. The room was spacious and I would definitely recommend it.
The bath was well needed at the end of a busy day and they gave you plenty of towels and toiletries, usually it's the lack of towels that annoy me.
The only negative was the shower screen was very poorly designed as the water leaked down the side and all over the floor.
We ate at the restaurant one night and had breakfast one morning, the standard was good.
The hotel staff were very attentive and the conference staff were exceptional. All round a very good experience.

Room Tip: Better view on the upper floors
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank susie k
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed at the Spencer for two nights on business. What a lovely relaxing time!! The views are fantastic, the service outstanding and the breakfast buffet incredibly full. The gym and the pool are great amenities and the pianist at Thyme restaurant during the evening sets a beautiful atmosphere.

Room Tip: This is one of two tall towers in Takapuna every room seems to have a view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Aleisha B
Hi Aleisha B,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your lovely review. We enjoy many visitors from the UK, who like you seem to really appreciate our location and environment.

I hope you get to return sometime soon, you would be most welcome.

Thanks again
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights was in a good location and was very happy with the room we had. The room was very clean and was a good size. Heated pool was great in the cold weather. Our room had a great view of Auckland city at night was very nice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
Emerald Inn
Grand Millennium Auckland
The Langham, Auckland
The Langham, Auckland
#6 of 67 in Auckland

Been to The Spencer on Byron Hotel? Share your experiences!