“Needs a face lift”
Review of Parklane Motor Inn

Parklane Motor Inn
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The new owners were very nice and know that the place needs work.
The rooms need to be freshly painted and plastered, they require new carpeting and curtains and the air conditioners need to be replaced. The plumbing also needs to be checked.
The place did have a musty smell.

It is centrally located to city centre and to motorways and is only a block away from a terrific beach.

I do not think the bar service is necessary for a motel, just ensure good tea, coffee and fresh milk is provided,.

Room Tip: Studio with spa
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 December 2013

New owners took over a week ago only – not great customer relations skills. When complaining, they did not take responsibility but blaming previous owners not maintaining the place. Leaves you wondering if new owners know anything about hospitality.

Dated property. A/c not working, rang reception 3 times. Took them so long before answering. Need to book night before if you want your room serviced (this is a first). Curtains coming off rails, light coming through. Dark room. Lighting in bathroom poor – right side dark, left side brighter but toilet in the way and mirror set back too far. Bed not comfy. Good water pressure though. No hangers in wardrobe! No safe deposit box or compendium in room. Loud banging doors, hear everything including water from taps/toilets, musky smell in corridor/stairs.
Only serving continental breakfast till 10am - no cooked breakfast available. Reception hours on Sunday till 8pm, all other nights till 10pm.

In residential area so if you have no car, you are stuck. It is a motor inn, so usually most stay overnight. Not appropriate for business and definitely not for 6 nights. No free wifi. Most places offer complimentary wifi (even if it is only for 30 mins). The owner made a comment that it wasn’t free, not even for 30 mins and that it wasn’t expensive (in a condescending manner and walked away) – what a cheek. It’s not the point, it’s the principles. I said I don’t have a car but she said it’s not far from town centre (I don’t have a car and I am on business, the last thing I want to do after a long day is to be on my feet walking – and possibly getting wet from the rain). Nothing around, no restaurants. Property does not do room service and has no restaurant. Indeed it rained hard for a few days. I would have been drenched walking and whilst waiting for taxi as there is no shelter.

Don’t let photos fool you. Pool more like house pool – leave your bathers at home. The beach does not look anywhere too close.

After “complaining” that this was not appropriate for business, the lady gave me “complimentary” wifi but asked if I was still staying the 6 nights (the free wifi was the catch). When I went to the room to pack my things before checking out, there were still no hangers provided (I was told this would be brought to me). Arrangements were made for another more appropriate property so I checked out about 3.30pm and the lady was not happy (she wanted payment for the entire 6 nights). I said that perhaps 2 nights would be fair so late in the day as she said that room had been cleaned but not serviced. Even upon checking out, she kept me waiting so long whilst on the phone without acknowledging me. They were not pleasant to deal with. I felt they did not handle the situation professionally. They only took over a week ago so if things were not checked before taking over, do not pass on frustrations to your guests.

Even if I was to be on holidays, I would not choose this place. Read the other reviews. Remember too that other good reviews were based on previous owners.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Tweetcoz
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A discarded piece of toast, lying on a dirty plate, in the reception area of Parklane Motor Inn immediately set our antennas out that all was not as it should be at this establishment. The first unit we were shown was on the ground floor. The room smelt musty and there was an ants nest on the ground floor window sill. We asked to be shifted, the second unit was marginally better and it was on the first floor; immediately above the first unit. At least this room did not smell musty, but it needed a good scrub. The cups had a film on them and it looked as if the ceiling fan had not been cleaned for years. Many of the tiles in the bathroom were cracked and the "white" towels were a dirty grey. The carpet was very worn and ripped just outside the entrance to the bathroom.The surrounding gardens were scruffy and the windows were dirty; it looked like it needed a good overhaul.I can only assume that the photos shown on the website of a pristine swimming pool were taken sometime ago. On the plus side, the Parklane Motor Inn was in a good location. It was near Takapuna's shops, restaurants, beach and it certainly was reasonably priced.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jennifer269
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I wish I had read the reviews before I booked us in. Thankfully it was only for one night. My family were from out of town and we thought we would all stay together for a night as were going to a concert. I felt really embarrassed to be honest. This motel didn't showcase the North Shore of Auckand as I had hoped. It only felt like 1-2 stars worth. Call the Hotel inspector!

Positives are location (close to motorway, walk to Takapuna and the beach), and the reception service is good.

Negatives: We booked two rooms (which ended up being not the required set up that we had originally booked), the rooms were dim, old and tired and desperately needed a good coat of paint and new carpet. The carpet in one of the rooms was lifting so bad that we were forever tripping over it. Such as hazard and an accident waiting to happen (Do the housekeepers not have a checklist for stuff like this??), There was only one teaspoon for both rooms (of which should have catered for 6), the ranchslider door handle was broken and fell off when we tried to open it, the airconditioning generator outside on the deck was a rusty eyesore (no wonder they kept the curtains closed!), basically the place just needs a huge overhaul! It felt like the owners didn't care. I don't recommend itl

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We had read the mixed reviews of Parklane Motor Inn on Tripadvisor but thought we would give it a go as it was reasonably priced and fairly good location. Despite asking to see the room first (#334), we were disappointed and glad we only stayed there one night. The room was quite dark thanks to the dim lights, the bed had a huge sag in the middle and while it was clean, overall the place needed some major TLC. The door to the bathroom had scratches all over it and the carpet was lifting between the bathroom doorway and bedroom so it was a major trip hazard. No milk in the fridge and the tv had to be retuned as it wasn't picking up all the channels advertised. The staff were helpful and friendly but the whole place needs a bit of an overhaul.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NeetsNZ
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Hard to believe this property was listed as 4 star - it's more like 1 star. The room was musty when we walked in, the bathroom door wouldn't close due to the timber swelling with the damp, there was an ants nest and dirt in a corner of the room where the wall was decaying, no milk in the fridge but there was a half drunk can of coke. At a guess I would say the room hadn't been opened or cleaned for quite a while. You can find much better back-packers accommodation at less than half the price we paid for this.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jilliene B
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my parents, niece and nephew for a few days so that the kids could watch a theatre production and we could visit the zoo and Auckland itself. If you're watching something at the Bruce Mason Centre this is a perfect venue - you can walk along the beach to get to the theatre.

The room was kitted out with a small kitchen area including a fridge, toaster and microwave and there's a supermarket just up to the road so it was really easy to self-cater here and the room was spacious (even for five of us) so we could all eat at the table and play card games after dinner.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Yes, there are better quality hotels, but I would recommend this place for a family trip where you're looking for a home from home, not a place with a spa and concierge.

Takapuna itself has a nice shopping street and a very big Farmers department store so plenty to mooch around.

Room Tip: If you're travelling with children, make sure you have a family room with kitchen facilities. M...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
Poenamo Hotel
Parklane Motor Lodge
Takapuna Motor Lodge
Takapuna Motor Lodge
#4 of 7 in Takapuna

Been to Parklane Motor Inn? Share your experiences!