“cheerfull and clean”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Takapuna
auckland
“cheerfull and clean”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

stayed her on our last night in NZ New managers english couple very helpfull ,courteus rooms were a bit dated but clean had a slight problem with wifi but the manager came and sorted out in a few minutes Overall value for money ,handy to takapuna and a short drive 20mins to cbd

Room Tip: ask for a garden suite
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

If this place has new owners as previous reviews suggest then they need to get their skates on and reverse the obvious decay and decline if they want to have a viable business
All the same sorts of issues mentioned by others. My advice to the owners is see this place through the eyes of your visitor not the bank manager. Skimping on the basics is not good business

Fortunately Xmas and family will more than make up for these shortcomings so I will finish on a positive note

Stayed December 2013
3 Thank SafeAs

Travellers are raving about these Takapuna hotels

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We recently had a second stay at this property.
There are new Managers in place.
The room that we stayed in was just awful - We arrived, dropped off our bags and went out. However when we returned later that night we found out why the door was jammed open - IT STANK OF DAMP.
It was really bad - bad enough to make me feel ill during the night.
The bed appeared to have the wrong sized sheets ( bottom sheet did not fit properly ) and it looked like the bed had been just pulled up rather than made ( Probably not - but that is how it looked)
The bathroom linen was discoloured as well.
The only good thing about this room was a nice powerful shower.

Room Tip: Do not get a ground floor room
2 Thank 360MaryP
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The new owners were very nice and know that the place needs work.
The rooms need to be freshly painted and plastered, they require new carpeting and curtains and the air conditioners need to be replaced. The plumbing also needs to be checked.
The place did have a musty smell.

It is centrally located to city centre and to motorways and is only a block away from a terrific beach.

I do not think the bar service is necessary for a motel, just ensure good tea, coffee and fresh milk is provided,.

Room Tip: Studio with spa
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

New owners took over a week ago only – not great customer relations skills. When complaining, they did not take responsibility but blaming previous owners not maintaining the place. Leaves you wondering if new owners know anything about hospitality.

Dated property. A/c not working, rang reception 3 times. Took them so long before answering. Need to book night before if you want your room serviced (this is a first). Curtains coming off rails, light coming through. Dark room. Lighting in bathroom poor – right side dark, left side brighter but toilet in the way and mirror set back too far. Bed not comfy. Good water pressure though. No hangers in wardrobe! No safe deposit box or compendium in room. Loud banging doors, hear everything including water from taps/toilets, musky smell in corridor/stairs.
Only serving continental breakfast till 10am - no cooked breakfast available. Reception hours on Sunday till 8pm, all other nights till 10pm.

In residential area so if you have no car, you are stuck. It is a motor inn, so usually most stay overnight. Not appropriate for business and definitely not for 6 nights. No free wifi. Most places offer complimentary wifi (even if it is only for 30 mins). The owner made a comment that it wasn’t free, not even for 30 mins and that it wasn’t expensive (in a condescending manner and walked away) – what a cheek. It’s not the point, it’s the principles. I said I don’t have a car but she said it’s not far from town centre (I don’t have a car and I am on business, the last thing I want to do after a long day is to be on my feet walking – and possibly getting wet from the rain). Nothing around, no restaurants. Property does not do room service and has no restaurant. Indeed it rained hard for a few days. I would have been drenched walking and whilst waiting for taxi as there is no shelter.

Don’t let photos fool you. Pool more like house pool – leave your bathers at home. The beach does not look anywhere too close.

After “complaining” that this was not appropriate for business, the lady gave me “complimentary” wifi but asked if I was still staying the 6 nights (the free wifi was the catch). When I went to the room to pack my things before checking out, there were still no hangers provided (I was told this would be brought to me). Arrangements were made for another more appropriate property so I checked out about 3.30pm and the lady was not happy (she wanted payment for the entire 6 nights). I said that perhaps 2 nights would be fair so late in the day as she said that room had been cleaned but not serviced. Even upon checking out, she kept me waiting so long whilst on the phone without acknowledging me. They were not pleasant to deal with. I felt they did not handle the situation professionally. They only took over a week ago so if things were not checked before taking over, do not pass on frustrations to your guests.

Even if I was to be on holidays, I would not choose this place. Read the other reviews. Remember too that other good reviews were based on previous owners.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Tweetcoz
Reviewed 11 November 2013

A discarded piece of toast, lying on a dirty plate, in the reception area of Parklane Motor Inn immediately set our antennas out that all was not as it should be at this establishment. The first unit we were shown was on the ground floor. The room smelt musty and there was an ants nest on the ground floor window sill. We asked to be shifted, the second unit was marginally better and it was on the first floor; immediately above the first unit. At least this room did not smell musty, but it needed a good scrub. The cups had a film on them and it looked as if the ceiling fan had not been cleaned for years. Many of the tiles in the bathroom were cracked and the "white" towels were a dirty grey. The carpet was very worn and ripped just outside the entrance to the bathroom.The surrounding gardens were scruffy and the windows were dirty; it looked like it needed a good overhaul.I can only assume that the photos shown on the website of a pristine swimming pool were taken sometime ago. On the plus side, the Parklane Motor Inn was in a good location. It was near Takapuna's shops, restaurants, beach and it certainly was reasonably priced.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jennifer269
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I wish I had read the reviews before I booked us in. Thankfully it was only for one night. My family were from out of town and we thought we would all stay together for a night as were going to a concert. I felt really embarrassed to be honest. This motel didn't showcase the North Shore of Auckand as I had hoped. It only felt like 1-2 stars worth. Call the Hotel inspector!

Positives are location (close to motorway, walk to Takapuna and the beach), and the reception service is good.

Negatives: We booked two rooms (which ended up being not the required set up that we had originally booked), the rooms were dim, old and tired and desperately needed a good coat of paint and new carpet. The carpet in one of the rooms was lifting so bad that we were forever tripping over it. Such as hazard and an accident waiting to happen (Do the housekeepers not have a checklist for stuff like this??), There was only one teaspoon for both rooms (of which should have catered for 6), the ranchslider door handle was broken and fell off when we tried to open it, the airconditioning generator outside on the deck was a rusty eyesore (no wonder they kept the curtains closed!), basically the place just needs a huge overhaul! It felt like the owners didn't care. I don't recommend itl

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Takapuna
Poenamo Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Shore City
Anzac Court Motel
Anzac Court Motel
#2 of 7 in Takapuna

Been to Parklane Motor Inn? Share your experiences!