“Clean no fuss with good service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Downtowner Motor Inn

Downtowner Motor Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Creston
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Clean no fuss with good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Certainly a no frills motel, yet for the price, the place is very clean, comfortable and inviting, and the owner looks after and cares about the customers. I would certainly recommend it to anyone passing spending time in Creston.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

My wife and I decided to visit Creston Canada Day weekend, wineries, orchards, brewery, and some genuine local artists. We chose the Downtowner for several reasons, location, price, and comfort. The rooms are comfortable and clean to the point of near sterile. We liked having glasses in the room rather than some dubious plastic. The fridge came in handy for keeping some local purchases, aparagus, local organic cheeses, and of course Kokanee. Our hosts Marg and Rob were helpful, courteous and knowledgeable on all things Creston. We would gladly recommend the Downtowner.

Room Tip: The front rooms can get some road noise from Canyon Street, the main road through town. It didn'...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Great value and clean, quiet rooms. Walking distance to all amenities. will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Fernie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

While looking for a hotel in Creston for my daughter's skating competition I checked different ones online..originally booked the Hacienda but then heard from friends and online reviews that they were a very dirty hotel. Had stayed at the Skimmerhorn before but found the owners to be unfriendly to kids (atom hockey) so I didn't want to stay there again. What drew my attention to the Downtowner was the owners Marg & Rob's picture. They looked like a very friendly couple and the AD said clean rooms. We found a small little rustic hotel with a very homey feel almost like a bed and breakfast touch. Rooms were clean and the beds were obviously new....very comfortable. Loved the common room for hanging out, playing board games etc. Like in Dale H's comment if your looking for modern then this is not for you but its more of a home away from home hotel. My only complaint is they do need to upgrade their Televisions. I know this can be costly but it is one of the most important items in a hotel room. I would definately recommend this Hotel

Room Tip: If you have small children ask for a room on the main floor...Can be noisy for guests below you
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sherry T
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Great family run Inn. Our hockey team stayed for the weekend and they were completely accommodating! If yourelooking for "modern" then this isn't the place for you; however, if you're looking for convienient, affordable and friendly then look no further. I'm writing this review for two reasons; firstly, the husband and wife owner/operator deserves the great feedback but secondly, I'm afraid that the one room in the entire Inn that wasn't occupied by our team was occupied by a fellow that wasn't amazed with our teams noise at 12 o'clock at night and may use trip advisor to write a horribly undeserving review. If you're the last room of the hotel booking with an entire hockey team, look elsewhere for accommodation. Just sayin.
Thanks and happy travels.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dale H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

We arivred there, xmas morning at 1am, buzzed the bell and felt bad that i was getten the owner/manager outta bed, especially on xmas morning. He was clearly very sleepy and probably little annoyed at our arrival, but still hooked us up with a room and was surprisingly pleasant, a small deposit was asked for the room an the overall rate was very affordable, the room was spotless, warm and comfy, we even awoke to an xmas card that was slipped under the door! Totally recommend this place and will return if i need a place to stay:)

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Dwainiac
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

I like to think I am a easy person to please. I like to take trips and spend time in hotels/motels of all ratings. This september long weekend we looked into The Creston Downtowner Motor Inn, It had great reviews and it was the only hotel in the town with a hot tub that we have found. We checked in and the girls were always happy and smilling with that there is no complaint, the old style rugs and decor was cute, they have books that you can read but are not to remove I liked that there was books there but a book exchange for traveling would make more sence as then you can read the whole book but even that was not an issue, the tv had local cable so you have 10-20 channels to pick from and there was internet avalible. I do not tend to travel to sit and watch tv but it is nice to have the option when waiting for things in the town to open. There is no coffee in your room and the cups in the basket one is not sure if they are clean or used there is no sanitary wrap to give you indication and there was not the option of disposable. There was a fridge in the room but the microwave is in the common part so if your in your night wear or underpants there is a chance that if you are running to the microwave you will be displaying your wardrobe or lack of it to the public this is not something I am ok with either displaying or seeing myself so for that -1 star.
In traveling like the girls here you are drawn to the happy people the plesant ones as it is there is one bad apple that can ruin it for the whole bunch. Yes I would think the man owns it as if he was an employee he would have been fired for the attitude the amount of miserable in that one man was more then one wants to see on their vacation. Miserable factor -1 star.
Now a three star hotel is still a good hotel and hey we still get to check out the hot tub :)
Well we checked out the hot tub and it was nice there is the hot tub and a dry sauna and they were clean and the tub was warm. There was a sign that said the people that are not accustom to warm baths only stay for 5-10 min. I read the rules and the recomndations and we enjoyed the tub and sauna, the second night there were other bathers and for a small tub to the bather load you know this tub is going to need some chemicals added to it basic maintenance of hot tubs it is not a long procedure but the next morning we go and the tub is closed for "maintenance" and the reason we got was that people do not shower before going into the tub. I am easy going to say ok be miserable because you think having a bath before hot tubing will save you from adding chemicals when your tub has a higher bather load but to close the tub for a day is on the extreem and yes I know what I am talking about I have taken pool operaters courses and they have a higher bather load and never do they need to close it for a day. So for the lack in planning the pool maintanace for times that the tub is closed to the guests and having been told by the girls that the tub is there and good for use to a sign on a door for a day that it is in maintance but never seeing anyone do maintance yes I am afraid I will have to say that is - 1 star for false advertising and lack of organisation on maintanence.
Two stars is not that good but yet the mornings seem to be a bad time of day for me I am just not a morning person and I am sorry to say that the two stars is down to one as I was to wake up to the banging and pounding of painters and airconditioning unit cleaners. I am not that unreasonable that you can not do the work but it is a long weekend and there are people in the hotel and banging and pounding before noon does not seem like it is really needed so for this there is a loss of a star as I do like my sleep and when on vacation I did not think I would be up early with the never ending banging it was a curtosy thing wait until there is something open so people can leave for brunch/lunch and not have to hear the banging.
The biggest loss for this hotel was the miserable man... had he not been so miserable there would not have been discusions in the hot tub about how miserable he was and we could have all talked more about the wild life center where people were out to go bird watching, road trips, school starting and lifes other pleasures but as it was there was a groupe of people that were talking about how it would have been better to stay in one of the other hotels and go to the local pool for a hot tub as that is where we all ended up going the next day because the tub was in maintenace all day.
The cost was 100 a night so there is no savings in staying here. We found that Cranbrook an hour down the road has a super 8 that has pool/slide, hot tub, and breakfast it has all the stars this place lost with all nice males and females common sence now tells me that if it is to stay at the downtowner or drive an hour I am all over the drive and I recomend you take the drive for the same 100 dollars a night you get way more at the super 8 if not with the pleasure of inroom coffee and the pool and tub open for the advertised times or for the continental breakfast then for the happy go out of their way to help you staff. If you know someone that you do not really like then by all means send them to the creston downtowner.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends