All reviews complimentary breakfast family restaurant off the highway toast moncton
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We were fortunate to stay in one of the rooms on the 2nd floor that I suspect had been recently renovated. It was clean, and definitely a great value for the money. The breakfast was a pleasant surprise as it was included and called a "continental" however you ordered from a select menu - very good. Unfortunately we had a less than adequate waitress who seemed to be extremely forgetful and made numerous trips to get us basic utensils and condiments!! This happened on the 2 mornings we had the same waitress however the other 2 waitresses were very good! Unfortunately their lounge was not open for the 4 nights we were there - they told us it was only open when they were busy which didn't make a lot of sense to us since the Saturday night was sold out?? Overall it was a good place to stay and central to the area we were exploriing.

Room Tip: Try to get something on the 2nd floor as the drive up rooms didn't appear to be quite as nice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I have dined at many of Amherst's local restaurants, and I can be confident in saying the Wandlyn's restaurant is by far the best in the area. Their menus focus on maritime favourites with a bit of a flare. Their "Wandlyn Salad" is to die for! Lots of great flavours and the beet chips are a great addition. The fish and chips were also great, I learned that they make the beer batter in house! The fish was done just right. For dessert I had the "Banana Split" it was a great change compared to regular squishy banana and ice cream so many places offer. The custard with caramelized sugar paired with the coconut fried banana was such a refreshing choice (dessert is also made fresh!) I was getting so tired of frozen/store bought desserts!!

Yes, the décor is getting tired but the staff, food and drinks make up for it. (did I mention the wine list is quite impressive for a small town? It features some great local wines and some great prices too!)

I would highly recommend the Amherst Wandlyn for any meal or occasion. Especially when it comes to convenience while travelling and really experiencing what the maritimes have to offer (fish, fresh and local food and wine, and SUPERB hospitality!!

Can't wait to go again!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My main beef with this motel was the fact that they charged us a $200.00 deposit to stay one night. We did get it back in the morning when we left but felt very embarrassed by the fact that they had to abe someone check the room before giving us back our deposit. We have stayed at many motels and hotels and have never heard of this policy before. The room was not very clean, ther was a distinct foul odor in the room of uncleanliness. The carpet was very stocky and dirty. The restaurant area was full of cobwebs on the window ledges and baseboards. There were three guests in the restaurant whole spoke nothing but foul language but nothing was said to them. Very disappointed in our stay which was supposed to be for two nights but we left at daylight after not sleeping all night due to the smell and very hard and uncomfortable bed. Would not recommend this place to anyone and the Wandlyn group should be ashamed to let this business continue in this manner.

Room Tip: Drive a little bit further off the highway and pay a few extra dollars for a better stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stayed here for a week while working in the area, and I was placed in the older section of the hotel. The single-occupancy rooms are a bit worn, as expected, but I was given lower rates because of this. Everything is kept clean despite its age and most importantly the staff is always friendly, gracious and helpful. I've had no problems with the breakfasts and would recommend the burger and roasted potatoes at the hotel restaurant. A long-running local business for a good reason!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The best thing about the inn is probably the location since its right off of the highway. I was driving to Halifax at the time and the weather took a drastic turn for the worse - too foggy, dark and raining too hard to see properly and drive safely on the highway so had to stop. Obviously it's an inn and not a hotel so don't expect much. The price was quite high for the room though. We (apparently) got a discounted rate but I paid less than this at a Best Western! The room had a bit of an odd smell, and the walls are paper thin. We were talking in the room (at a normal indoor conversation level) and at 9:30 pm the next door guest started loudly banging on the wall to tell us to shut up... We had to whisper to talk in the room. The included breakfast is continental. No idea how the hot food is, we stayed with the continental because we paid a lot for the room already. The dishes in the dining area weren't super clean. The room key I got didn't work half of the time. They give free access to wifi and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Like I said, I wouldn't have stayed here but because of the weather it was necessary, wouldn't go back though.

• Stayed: April 2012