“would not do again”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Amherst
Alberta
“would not do again”
Reviewed 23 April 2008

I checked in to my room, there were HUGE black flies on the inside part of the window. I complained, got a different room, SAME THING.
The staff gave me a 'suite' for the same price, but there was the strangest shaking, vibration felt in the room, at certain hours. I did not bother complaining...what would be next?
The food was good in the restaurant, but the whole hotel had this very 'tired' feel to it.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank morris99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2008

I stayed at this hotel for four nights on business in Amherst, and there isn't much to pick from in Amherst. One of the previous reviews says this property is very outdated, and I would have to agree. It really does feel like a motel straight out of the late 70's or early 80's, room and lobby included. However, I have to admit that the hotel has a nice pool area, a nice little restaurant with room service and bar in the lower level. The staff was incredibly friendly at the front desk and restaurant, and housekeeping did a really good job. The room was very basic, again outdated, but I had everything I needed to be comfortable for four nights. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank kga1978
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 April 2006

I was a Guest at the Hotel in March of this year and I can't say enough the Service...The Staff were extremely friendly and helpful with our whole Family
Our Suite was large and clean we enjoyed the Pool area and were told that Renovations are being done to 30 rooms with the next few months we will definitely return...

Stayed March 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 May 2005

I stayed at the Wandlyn Inn in Amherst because it had been recommended as being convenient to Amherst at the New Brunswick border. The hotel has seen better days--or, rather, better decades. It must have been quite the place in the 1970s, but it's dated, dingy and depressing in 2005.

The lobby features a model of a schooner, with stained sails, with a prominent "for sale" sign noted on it. There's a snoozing parakeet, dark carpet and dated decor. Up to my room (facing the parking lot) was a tricky walk up and down stairs on the multiple levels. The halls were poorly-lit and smelly.

My room was medium-sized with a double bed, a TV that was probably cutting edge in 1982, a small table (convenient) and a little desk. The room, while marked non-smoking, seemed to have smoke in the air.

No air conditioning, and no cross breeze.

The bathroom had not been updated except for a tub surround that made the space very small. I could not run the bathroom fan because of the horrific metallic grating noise it made.

The sheets were clean, the bed overly soft, and overall it was very disappointing.

At check out time, the computer system froze, I was kept waiting as the receptionist complained, and I left without my receipt.

I could not bring myself to try the pool or the restaurant.

Thumbs down. I won't stay there again.

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Amherst hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Comfort Inn - Amherst
Apothic Inn
Apothic Inn
#2 of 5 in Amherst
Hopewell Rocks Motel and Country Inn

Been to Amherst Wandlyn Inn? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Amherst Wandlyn Inn

Property: Amherst Wandlyn Inn
Address: Trans Canada Highway 104, Exit 3 | P.O. Box 275, Amherst, Nova Scotia B4H 3Z2, Canada
Region: Canada > Nova Scotia > Amherst
Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Amherst
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Amherst Wandlyn Inn 2.5*
A 2.5 Star Hotel and Convention Center, conveniently located near the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia Border. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your Amherst Wandlyn Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Wandlyn Inn Amherst Hotel Amherst