“Excellent Service”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Amherst
Amherst, Canada
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The Wandlyn Inn in Amherst , N.S. turned out to be an ideal spot for a recent MK business retreat we held with about 30 women attending . We found the price to be very right , the pool to be relaxing and the general atmosphere to be down home country rustic . HOWEVER , we cannot say enough good things about the wonderful way the staff looked after us . What the hotel lacks in a bit of a modern make-over , is certainly made up for in not only in it's people and it's manager , but the food was beyond delicious . Best roast beef with all the trimmings , fish and chips Maritime style , and a breakfast bounty . We'll be back ! P.S. It's also right on the highway , Exit 3 ,near the N.S / N.B border for easy access . The conference room was great .

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Judymarykay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Shubenacadie, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Wandlyn on business. I wanted a cheap hotel for the amount of time I was spending in it. I thought $80 plus tax was a great deal until I arrived. I arrived at 9pm and the first thing I noticed in my room was a spider on the 'crown moulding'. That got me looking for more. I found another spider on the heat register, a moth on the curtain, 2 large dandy long legs on the ceiling and 2 more really small spiders. Thankfully spiders don't scare me so I squished all the bugs and went to sleep. When I checked out the next morning, I mentioned about the spiders in my room and how disturbing it was. The lady replied 'oh, thanks for letting me know.'
2 days after my stay, I received an email from the manager who is new at the Wandlyn. He read my comment card. He gave me 50% off my next stay(no expiry), apologized and said "we will put in place a spray program or some other strategy to do a better job of keeping the critters outside where they belong." Fair enough, I'm cheap enough to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Amherst hotels

'the world
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Wanting to be midpoint between the New Brunswick side of the Bay of Fundy (Hopewell rocks and environs) and the Fossil Cliffs to Five Islands region, this hotel seemed like a good choice. Our room was adequate, clean and beds were comfortable. The A/C did not work, which was a real inconvenience, since the screen on the window had big holes and mosquitoes were everywhere. It is a motel, so our room was on the parking lot on the side of the major highway. The dining facilities need renovation as well. We had a small supper one night and decided never to return, based on the food quality and price. Breakfast was just average, but mostly it was the lack of air in the room that made it unbearable. Hotel staff was friendly. We would make a different lodging choice, now that we know the area a little better.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pictograms
Randy T, General Manager at Amherst Wandlyn Inn, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Wandlyn Inn Hotel and Convention Centre in Amherst Nova Scotia. We value your comments and appreciate our guests taking the time to provide us with their valuable feedback. Our 85 room hotel is the only full service hotel in Amherst and the only hotel with pool, restaurant, and convention facilities between Moncton New Brunswick and Truro Nova Scotia. We have very recently renovated our dining room and banquet facilities and are updating our guest rooms on an ongoing basis. Should a guest experience a problem with the ac unit, we need them to let us know – so that we are able to correct the problem while they are still with us, allowing us to make their stay as enjoyable as it should be.
We would look forward to having the opportunity to host this guest again in the future and again – thank you for your comments.

Save Travels!
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The chief virtue of this inn is its convenient location close to the Trans Canada Highway and its reasonable rates.

There is nothing fancy about this place and they do not provide a cooked breakfast. Also, walls are thin and noisy neighbours can rob you of much needed sleep. Ours started hooting and hollering about 2 am and continued for two hours. At one point it sounded as if they were conducting races in the corridor. The only other problem was a rather snippy receptionist who obviously wished she worked somewhere else.

That said, the room was large, the beds fine, the AC in working order and the bathroom more than adequate. And these days $85 for B & B is not bad.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Your comments are important and help us know where to focus our attention for improvement. General Management of this hotel has just changed and I an enthusiastic to make improvements to our hotel in all areas of management and customer service. Full breakfast menu’s are available on weekend mornings in our Windmill restaurant that overlooks the beautiful Tantramar Marsh. Week days when only a few guests are in-house our free continental breakfast is always available.

I regret that other guests may have prevented you from having a quiet evening, another time, please contact our front desk and we would be happy to ask our noisy guests to quiet down in the later evening.

The Wandlyn Inn is by far the least expensive Hotel in Amherst, the night this guest stayed our rates started at $85 per night, compared with $119.99 and higher for the other two Hotels in Amherst.

Again – thank you for staying with us and please be our guests again in future.
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2013

No fridge in our room, they told me they don't have it in all rooms. A dirty face cloth was left in the bathroom from the last person who stayed in. The bottom side toilet was dirty with yellow urine (the size of 2 inches). When going up the stairs it smelled like cigarette smoke. I would not recommend this hotel has we paid 125$ per night!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Amherst Wandlyn Hotel and Convention Centre. I am disappointed with this review, had this much been wrong, I would have expected the guest to immediately complain to our front desk clerk - no such complaint is recorded.

I hope that any guest - of any hotel, would feel that they have access to best that a hotel has to offer and should they be given a room that was not adequately cleaned by a distracted or inexperienced housekeeper, that they would ask for a different room. It doesn't happen often but it can happen in any hotel - guests need to bring these oversights to the attention of the hotel and will always be upgraded or provided with alternative accomodations. Had I been aware of this as General Manager, this guest would have been moved to a premium room and given a coupon for a free dinner in our Windmill Restaurant. My apologies for this disappointing stay.

Thank you for your review.
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed overnight on a drive along the Bay of Fundy. Good value for the money (3 star; paid less than $100; booked directly). Check-in was efficient and the person was friendly and helpful. the room was basic but clean, including the bathroom. We had a view of the Tantramar Marsh and windmill farm. There was some traffic noise but we did not have any difficulty sleeping. It is not within walking distance to the downtown core but the drive there is easy and parking was not a problem. Based on past reviews, we opted not to eat at the restaurant (ate dinner at Duncan's Pub and breakfast at Connor's Family Restaurant). We would stay there for an overnight again).

Delran, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We passed through Amherst and stayed here. The front desk person the day we checked in was not all that helpful and kept giving us wrong information.

The room was clean. The pool was run down and kind of dumpy. But clean.

The dining room was okay. Not anything to get excited about about. The morning breakfast included with the room fee was okay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Comfort Inn - Amherst
Apothic Inn
Apothic Inn
#1 of 5 in Amherst
Hopewell Rocks Motel and Country Inn

Been to Amherst Wandlyn Inn? Share your experiences!