“Toxic Air Quality” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Amherst
Dominica
“Toxic Air Quality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

The scents of atomized air freshener and carpet deodorizer was horrifying. My eyeballs were burning red after a two-day conference. I could not wait to leave. When I asked the front desk staff not to use scented products in the room, she said "oh, we don't use scented products" when I could clearly see the perfumed atomizers spaced at regular intervals along the walls and the stench of them practically gassed me. This was not helpful.

The carpet in my room felt sticky underfoot from years of grime covered up by carpet freshener of some kind. You could not sit in the chairs in my room because the bottoms had no support left in them due to age.

Staff were pleasant and helpful but not plentiful enough. We could not check in when we arrived after 5pm because our room was not ready. We had to seek out the waiter in the kitchen to get water, order drinks and again to pay our bill. The food itself was good and the poor waitress seemed to have her hands full with other duties.

Whoever owns this hotel needs to do something with it - it's in a shameful state.We could not wait to leave and will not be back there any time soon.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LaFemme01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2010

Originally from Nova Scotia, now living in Ontario, we had to travel suddenly to Nova Scotia for family reasons. We were trying to be as economical about it as possible.

But don't stay here to save money. Yes , it was inexpensive, and maybe they have better rooms but ours was awful. The room had been updated a bit (the bathroom) but not the rest, and the smell of the decades of carpet deoderizer was too much. We stayed the night because we were too tired to go searching for somewhere else. But it is off my list.

Due to winter driving (fewer daylight hours and snowy conditions) we decided to spend two nights on the road on the way down and on the way back and we stopped at Riviere du Loup (Comfort Inn - surprisingly good !) and Amherst on the way down, and on the return we stopped at Grand Falls (Best Western -- perfectly fine), and then Drummondville (Motel Drummond, nice, clean and great price !)

If you must stay in Amherst......don't stay here. (dinner in the dining room was dreadful too)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank hopetogo
awandlyn, Front Desk Agent at Amherst Wandlyn Inn, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
Dear ‘hopetogo’,

We’re replying in thanks for leaving a comment about your stay with us. Every comment is taken very seriously, both on a physical comment card, as well as here on the internet, whether they are about a positive stay, or a negative one. We want to apologize for your stay, and wish there might have been something we could have done while you were here to make your stay more comfortable. As we are un-able to specifically locate your whereabouts that you may have stayed in our hotel, we can only guess where you may have been and where the problem originated.

You are right to assume that we do have nicer rooms in the hotel that are newly renovated and non-smoking. From the description of the room you gave us, we can guess which area of the hotel you were in, and believe is the section due for renovations. There was some heavy carpet cleaning done in this section last month as well, which may have been the scent that bothered you. Again, we apologize for this inconvenience for you. If the problem had been brought up when it arose, we would have been happy to accommodate you better. The feedback on your dinner has been passed along to the appropriate department as well, to help with future quality control. Every meal should be enjoyable, and we strive to achieve better quality and customer service. If you plan to come out in our direction again, you can call us at our toll free number at 1-800-561-0000 and we’d be more than happy to accommodate your needs, as well as offer you an upgrade.

Thank you very much for your time, and wish you safe, and happy future travels.

Amherst Wandlyn Management
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

I went here with my wife to visit our son who was celebrating his 45th birthday in Amherst.
Our son recommended the Wandlyn because it was newly renovated but was still offering rooms at cheap prices. I have very painful back aches and the room we were in had a soft mattress. I asked the staff and they were happy to find a room with a mattress that was firm enough for my back. I've been to a few other places in Amherst and generally they haven't been too friendly about this, but the people at the Wandlyn were great.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bobby154943
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2008

We ate the most delicious meal of our two week vacation at this resturant in the Wandlyn Inn. The lobster and rib eye steak were the tenderest on the entire trip. Each table had flowers. The staff were friendly; and the area we dined was an inside porch with a view. The servings were generous. The prices were extremely reasonable. Our salads were crisp and fresh; our daughter said her Fettucine Alfredo and Brownie cake dessert were delicious. We would definitely eat at this resturant again in future trips!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Ferriswheel
Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2008

I checked in to my room, there were HUGE black flies on the inside part of the window. I complained, got a different room, SAME THING.
The staff gave me a 'suite' for the same price, but there was the strangest shaking, vibration felt in the room, at certain hours. I did not bother complaining...what would be next?
The food was good in the restaurant, but the whole hotel had this very 'tired' feel to it.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank morris99
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2008

I stayed at this hotel for four nights on business in Amherst, and there isn't much to pick from in Amherst. One of the previous reviews says this property is very outdated, and I would have to agree. It really does feel like a motel straight out of the late 70's or early 80's, room and lobby included. However, I have to admit that the hotel has a nice pool area, a nice little restaurant with room service and bar in the lower level. The staff was incredibly friendly at the front desk and restaurant, and housekeeping did a really good job. The room was very basic, again outdated, but I had everything I needed to be comfortable for four nights. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
1 Thank kga1978
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2006

I was a Guest at the Hotel in March of this year and I can't say enough the Service...The Staff were extremely friendly and helpful with our whole Family
Our Suite was large and clean we enjoyed the Pool area and were told that Renovations are being done to 30 rooms with the next few months we will definitely return...

Stayed March 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Comfort Inn - Amherst
Apothic Inn
Apothic Inn
#2 of 5 in Amherst
Sackville Bed and Breakfast

Been to Amherst Wandlyn Inn? Share your experiences!