“Dinner out for our Daughter's Birthday 03/03/14”

Thera Greek Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 70 Restaurants in Alliston
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Beeton, Canada
“Dinner out for our Daughter's Birthday 03/03/14”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I read the reviews before we went to dinner, I/m not sure if we were at the same establishment.
We were a party of 6, and arrived at 6:45 pm. There were only two other couples in the place, but being a Monday night, most restaurants seem to be closed due lack of customers. We did not order any alcohol, just water with lemon slice. We ordered bruschetta and grilled calamari as appetizers.....both very good. For entries it was a mix of pork souvlaki for one, chicken souvlaki for another, my wife had the moussaka, which came to the table still sizzling in the plate, my daughter had the liver and onions.....couldn't eat it all needed a doggy bag. I had the liver a la chef....very good indeed. I've never had it prepared this way before, which is grilled w/olive oil and spices. My granddaughter only ordered soup, because she had been at the dentist earlier that day for her braces, and may not eat solids right away. The coffee afterwards was fresh and our cups were easily refilled. Three entries came with salad, my son in law had the Greek Salad which is as one reviewer stated: Iceberg lettuce couple of olives 2 pcs tomatoes, Feta cheese and dressing...but that is what he likes. For an additional cost of 1.50 two people ordered the Village Salad which is the REAL Greek salad made only with tomato, cucumber, onions, black olives, herbs and olive oil.
The Canadian version always contains lettuce which most people want.
Looking at their lunch menu, I found it to be reasonably priced, compared to other places.
Our cost not including tip was $118 all in.
The server was also the owner and her husband the chef. We asked and she confirmed they had owned the restaurant for just over 2 years.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Paka101

Alliston, Canada
“First time”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We recently moved to Alliston and decided to try this Greek rewtaurant. The food was barely edible, dry, and extremely salty. We will not return.

Visited October 2013
5 Thank andreagratton
New Tecumseth, Canada
“First time visit”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We moved to Alliston a year ago and have been trying to visit all the restaurants here. Last night was Thera's turn and after my first visit, I will not be going back. The physical space was dated, but the seating was comfortable enough. We were seated immediately and the waitress was friendly and quick to take our order. She brought a "basket" of bread for the four of us and we all looked at one another, as there was really only enough for one serving. Two of us had the pork souvlaki, one had schnitzel and the third had the moussaka. The vegetables and potatoes were swimming in what I think was oil, the pork was overcooked and dry. We had to pay extra for the Greek salad and it consisted of iceberg lettuce, 1 black olive and a slice of tomato and there was insufficient dressing to even coat it. The schnitzel looked more like 2 chicken strips and again was overcooked and dry. The moussaka was not very warm and average at best. I can only conclude that either we went on an "off night" or the people who have given it positive reviews have not eaten "good" Greek food. The prices were puzzling as the appetizers were almost as expensive as the dinners. ie. tzatziki dip $8.95....my dinner, $10.95.
We waited almost as long for our bill, after our dishes were removed as it took us to eat our dinner, and while we were waiting, a party of 8 was turned away because the owner refused to put two tables together!!! Obviously they are busy enough to stay in business, but I'm not sure why!

• Visited February 2014
6 Thank Stella K
New Tecumseth, Canada
“Better then expected”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

My first visit will not be my last . I enjoyed all of the food , from salad thru to the dessert . The portions were more then enough with everything tasting fresh and very flavorful .
Service was quick , pleasant and attentive . Ambiance was above par .
We will certainly go back .

Visited January 2014
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
“Amazing”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Love this place. Found the portions quite reasonable. Couldn't finish all my food and had to take some home. Ambiance and service was wonderful. Second time eating there and plan to go back often. I've read the negative comments but haven't experience them myself. As far as charging extra for salads? If they do, lots of restaurants also do that. To order a caesar/greek salad at many restaurants, there is an additional charge. Changing pricing is normal in any business. Their overhead could've changed over the years and food supplier pricing changes often as well. My experience was awesome and I will be returning and supporting this local establishment.

• Visited November 2013