“Not as good as people say.”
Review of Sunny Crest Motel

Sunny Crest Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Gibsons
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I read the reviews on Trip Advisor as I have for dozens of hotels previously and took the advise written as I have many times before and been completely happy with. This time we stopped into the hotel (not on a busy time). We asked for a room on the ground floor as my husband is on crutches. We signed in and went to the room and got looking around. First the smell was undeniably mouldy, we checked out the windows and there was mould around all the windows, especially in the bathroom. Nothing that a good cleaning would not have improved on. It was dark and the lighting was not good. There was a small old tv in the armour and coffee was available at the reception not in the room. Definately not worth the price they were asking for. We went up the street and found another hotel for $5.00 more and 100 percent better.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Sandra L

Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have stayed at the Sunny Crest Motel several times on a "get away weekend " from Vancouver with my boyfriend. It offers simple accomodation with super friendly staff. Glen and Ellen the regular managers are super friendly and we will continue to come to stay there for a little R&R from the city.

The rooms are simple with some offering a kitchenette. For the price dont expect a 4 to 5 star look, however I have never found the rooms dirty or lacking. If you need extra towels or soap just ask and the managers are happy to accomodate.

This is a laid back motel so if you want a great deal and a safe place to lay your head at night this is it. There are regualrs that stay from FORTIS or the local Hydro company and BC Ferries uses this motel regularly at well.

When you go to the Sunny Crest Motel say 'HI' to Geln and Ellen from the couple from Vancovuer that comes to stay from time to time.

Room Tip: Ask for a kitchenette room, then you can prepare a coffee in the morning and have some space to keep...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank scrumptious_crump
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Clean, Neat, Quiet. Comfortable. The usual amenities. I've stayed here multiple times, so obviously, I've been pleased. Every hotel in the world looks the same when you're asleep, so if you have a comfortable bed, clean accomodations, and hot water, you're there. For my money, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Tim B
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I have recently stayed at the Sunny Crest Motel in Gibsons.
It seems to have taken over by new management i have to say they were very polite and helped me alot. It was late at night when i arrived after missing my ferry.
they helped me by providing a room at very great prices and provided me with a ferry schudal for the next day

i would recommend this place to friends and family

the rooms where very clean
and recently renovated witch was nice

thanks so much for the hospitality

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Onelife92
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We were on a weeklong trip without any firm dates or locations on where we would be staying. Needing a pet friendly hotel was challenging at times as many places were pet friendly but didn’t have any pet rooms left.

I wanted to visit Gibson’s Landing for years due to the show the Beachcombers from the 70’s.
This was the only place I could find that was dog friendly that had any rooms.

On first arriving we had the Uh Oh feeling. They did had my reservation and gave us our key.

We drove around back and found our room. We noticed the parking lot was empty except for one other car which struck us as odd since all the other hotels in Gibson were sold out.
When we entered the room we were pleasantly surprised, as it had been recently remodeled with almost new everything, fake hardwood flooring, bathroom items etc.
We noticed what looked like a few dead pill bugs on the floor by the door and didn’t pay a lot of attention to it. The room did not have that musky smell we were expecting and the AC soon brought the room to a nice temperature.

The room had two queen beds and all the items you’d need- refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker etc. The beds were very different, one was very firm and one very worn out. It was missing the complementary soap and shampoo.

Hand soap is sort of a nessisity we don’t travel with so I had to go to the front desk and ask for some.

When my spouse went to get ice, she noticed something red in the ice machine in the lobby. She took it out and placed it on top of the ice machine.

At that point the owner came by and said “Oh I suppose that’s in your way”. It was his half eaten Popsicle! I’m thinking this at the very least is a health hazard and at the most, just plan disgusting.

It was Olympic week so it was one of the few times we watch TV in a hotel room. What I’ve noticed about smaller Canadian Hotels is they haven’t upgraded their TV’s to flat screens and have limited channels. It wasn’t a big deal but one of those little things you notice.

We have also noticed in the smaller hotels is they don’t provide alarm clocks in the rooms, or TV channel guilds, not sure why.

During the night, we noticed quite a few of these “bugs” on the floor by the bathroom. So we made sure not to walk barefooted from then one.

In the morning when we went to check out I was going to mention the popsicle event but started off by letting them know about the bugs.

The response I got was “oh yeah, they’re woodbugs, nothing we can do about them on the ground floor”. No apology, or sorry we should have told you, or any sort of humbleness.

I didn’t bother to bring up the popsicle issue as I figured I would let the world know here on Trip Advisor.

Lastly I had contacted them via email the day before to see if they had room. Shortly after we checked in and I checked my email, there was a response saying they did not have any dog friendly rooms available. They only ended up with what looked like 4 guest for the whole night in a 20 unit motel.

Room Tip: Book another hotel early and stay there
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I like the hotel because employee is friendly, always smiling, take good care about security, and given a good service. Have good location easy to go downtown, for room is clean, comfort with big bed and good furniture. I will visit here again for sure ^^

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank Baiya
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I stayed at the sunny crest motel and have a very pleasant stay, me and my colleges missed the ferry back to horseshoe bay. While eating at a local restraint (absolute Thai) some locals recommend the sunny crest. We came and the gentlemen at the counter was very nice and explained they have recently changed management, The rooms were very clean, well furnished, and overall great value. (Even had a microwave). The place carried a sense of small town charm, which was nice coming from the big city. It’s a great place to stay if you need to spend a night on the sunshine coast.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
7  Thank Swain697
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibsons
Gibsons Garden Hotel
Cedars Inn Hotel & Convention Centre
The Bonniebrook Lodge
The Bonniebrook Lodge
#1 of 15 in Gibsons

Been to Sunny Crest Motel? Share your experiences!