“nice surprise”
Review of Sunshine Lodge Inn

Sunshine Lodge Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Gibsons
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I was in town on business for one night. The receptionist was very welcoming and friendly. I found the room to be clean and comfort, as well as the bed. I had an excellent sleep and as I was in the back of the property and it was very quiet. The one downside was the internet connection was weak and kept going off line. I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank bailey200908

Reviewed 14 August 2012

After a long day of hiking and sightseeing, we were pretty exhausted and needed a place to stay. Everything else was full, but this was recommended to us by another motel owner in Sechelt. We had a fantastic stay and were really happy with it.
We had a large room, hardwood floors and a fireplace. The bed and pillows were super comfortable. It was spotless in there. The continental breakfast included wasn't too bad either. I was expecting worse, but you get : toast (brown or white), bagels (different kinds), muffins (assorted), hard boiled eggs, yogurt (good brand - Activia, blueberry, vanilla or raspberry), Tropicana Orange Juice, coffee, tea and two types of cereal.
The hairdryer worked well and the bathroom was nice and big, you could have a bath and the hot water worked well.
If you're up for a swim, they have a pool , albeit kind of small.
A few recommendations: They need more hooks in the washroom to hang towels. Only one place to hang anything. They also need to have an alarm clock in there so that if you forget to bring your own, there could be one to set there.

Room Tip: Corner suite, which is what we had, was nice and probably larger than some of the other ones.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BC T
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My partner and I stayed here last night . Not particularly impressed. They advertise hardwood floors and fireplaces, but there were no hardwood floors in our suite, anyway, and the fireplace had no firewood or prestologs to use. It seems they want you to provide your own! A bare concrete patio at the back.

There are no King beds, and the Queen bed was hard. So were the pillows.We both woke up with backaches.

Only one towel per, and one facecloth. A tiny kitchenette is available, and there is a sign which asks you to leave a $10.00 gratuity if you don't wash the dishes yourself! They also ask you to pay for the cheap Nestle bottled water, which they say that the housekeeping staff supplies.

I WILL say that everything was spottlessly clean. I disliked the ice buckets left between the double sinks, and instead of the customary individual shampoos, there is a large bottle of Pantene shampoo with the name of the place written in felt pen.

All in all, clean, but cheaply presented.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CBAWLF
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I stayed at the Sunshine Lodge this past mid-November (2011). I was in Gibsons for three days on business and therefore, staying in a central location that was inexpensive was important. Sure, a B&B is only about $30-40 more, but a lot of them were secluded and if you are alone you might opt to stay in a more brightly lit area. Gibsons can get very dark in the fall. There aren't a lot of "city" lights and you are surrounded by trees and mountains. So as a single female, I still stick by this choice of lodging.

The hotel is bare bones and very out dated. The room had two double beds, a tiny kitchenette and a flat tube television. It was clean (no random hairs spotted) and that is what is most important. The bed was comfortable and I was able to get a good nights sleep. The only problem was that my window wouldn't shut properly or lock, but I had to remember I was in Gibsons and that people there leave their doors and cars unlocked regularily. So I didn't bother telling the staff or requesting to change rooms since I was only there two nights.

There is freem wifi, which is helpful, and the TV had about 60 channels which is decent. The bathroom was stocked with the basic necessities such as shampoo and a hair dryer, but they also had a sign that offered up any other toiletries a guest might be missing.In the summer they open the courtyard pool, but when I was there it was tarped. The staff were friendly, but I really had little interaction with them since I was out most of the days.

I was working with locals and when they asked where I was staying, they all pretty much reacted the same way - if you can't stay in a B&B the Sunshine Lodge is your next best bet.

Gibsons is a beautiful place and worth visiting if you enjoy great scenery. I do wish I had more time to explore but I was bound by the ferry schedule. REMEMBER that the ferry only operates every two hours, and because of this, people line up for the ferry up to two hours in advance to ensure they get on. I missed the ferry twice on the way there because I wasn't expecting it to be that big of a production or line up. Luckily there is a little village in Horseshoe Bay where you can kill time.

If you are only staying for one night or on business or not expecting to enjoy hotel amenities, the Sunshine would do the job.

Room Tip: Check your windows!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank PetitAgneau
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed here for one night while visiting friends. It's clean and basic but we probably won't be back as you can stay at a much nicer B+B close by for only a bit more money. We left first thing in the morning as there wasn't anything that would make us stay any longer than needed.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank laurallee2016
Reviewed 13 August 2011

When we pulled in to the parking lot, our first impression was that of a well tended motel. On entering the reception area, we found that it was just as well cared for. Check in was a breeze, and we were off to our room.
Entry to our room was via electronic key. The room was spotless, had table and chairs, two beds, two closets and a large flat screen TV. We also had a coffee maker, microwave, toaster and the combined fridge/sink and hotplate (2 rings) was more than adequate for our needs.
The bathroom in our unit had two sinks, a deep soaker tub and toilet.
Most rooms on the lower floor have a view of the pool through the gorgeous raised flower beds. There is a BBQ available.
Should a hairdryer be needed, it can be borrowed from reception. I took my own with me.
Continental breakfast is included in the price - a European continental breakfast has a lot less than what is offered here. Fruit, cereal, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, juice, 3 types of bread for toasting, various spreads and tea and coffee are served buffet style. I may have forgotten some of the items available....
I feel that the owners have put a lot of time, effort and money into the operation, and they haven't finished yet. They are lovely, helpful people.
The only downside was that the room seemed dark - but once the light bulbs have been on for a while it is brighter. Not really an issue at all.
I would definitely recommend the Sunshine Lodge Inn to anyone visiting Gibsons.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Popoki_Iti
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Our first visit to the Sunshine Coast; we chose this motel based on location despite the one "ok" review on TripAdvisor. It turned out to be much nicer than that review would indicate. We were pleasantly surprised:
-the rooms were spotlessly clean and fresh, with clean comfortable beds, sheets, and bathroom towels. The carpets had no stains and were vacuumed well. There were, however, several chipped laminate surfaces in the bathroom.
-the rooms did appear dark at first (especially during the day), but this motel uses CFL lighting; CFL bulbs take awhile to reach their full brightness when first turned on, after several minutes the lighting in the room was entirely adequate.
-the large screen LCD tv in our room was a nice surprise.
-kitchenette was spotless and well stocked with the basic cutlery and dishes, 2-ring stove, small refrigerator, microwave, kettle, and toaster. A nice selection of tea and coffee included.
-swimming pool and grounds within the courtyard (which most rooms face) were clean and attractive. There were BBQ facilities in the courtyard.
-nice attention to security, with monitored cameras and locked, gated access to at least the ground floor rooms and courtyard, accessible after hours only by your room passcard.
-excellent, friendly service from the owners and staff, including prompt attention to the WiFi when it developed a glitch one evening. Owners appear to live on-site and are available for emergencies after hours.
-no restaurant, but a great included "continental breakfast" buffet available in the lobby from 7am to 9am included eggs, yogurt, fruit, muffins, bagels, three types of bread and a toaster for making your own toast, cereal, tea/coffee/juice, and condiments. There are several restaurants and stores within walking distance.
One omission was the bedside clock alarm radio. I can't remember ever staying in any accommodation that didn't have one, and they're really useful for the traveller who must get up early to catch a plane (or ferry, in our case). I hope they add them!

Perhaps a little pricey at $145CAD per night for two adults, but this is full tourist season in a tourist destination after all. Given the positives we experienced during our stay, this is a motel we will definitely stay in again next time we're in Gibsons.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ground floor to take advantage of the security system. Rooms backing onto...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Island_Sherry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibsons
Gibsons Garden Hotel
The Bonniebrook Lodge
The Bonniebrook Lodge
#1 of 15 in Gibsons
Cedars Inn Hotel & Convention Centre

Been to Sunshine Lodge Inn? Share your experiences!