“Won't go there again”

Ranked #11 of 15 Gibsons B&B and Inns
Powell River, British Columbia, Canada
“Won't go there again”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The place is still obviously old and worn out in many ways. Beds are old, hard and thin, No iron, extra pillows or blankets in room. Went to look out curtains on door to covered patio and the curtain came off, rod and all....left my family the toll free number along with room number so I could check in with them and the front desk couldn't connect them to the room when they called back. Over all poor quality for cost.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2013

The room was musty smelling, dirty and poorly maintained: stained carpet, mould in the bathroom and curtains coming off their tracks. The fridge was dirty and smelly, stove burners needed cleaning, couch and mattress springs sagged. The air conditioner was duct-taped to the wall and windows could not be opened for fresh air. Front desk service is poor; I had to ask twice for a written confirmation of my reservation (which I needed because at check-in they tried to charge me more than I was originally quoted) and the clerk talked on the phone while checking me in. We were shocked to find out that the front office was locked until 8am, particularly when we had to leave at 7am to catch a ferry. The entire complex is in dire need of an update. The building needs painting and the restaurant is closed. Hall and stair carpets were dirty and there was no elevator. We booked this place because several other places in town were booked or would only book for 2 nights when we only needed one. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Gibsons hotels

Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We stopped there late at night after driving all day so we weren't really expecting alot that late at night. The room was clean but you could smell cigarette smoke and the carpet had a lot of marks in it. I wouldn't stay there for longer than a night, maybe two but that's it. The price was more than I paid for a 4 star hotel in Whistler so i wasn't very impressed with that part of it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I arrived on a hot day - the room was stifling and the cold air fan didn't do anything to help. The front desk person was totally uninterested in my discomfort and just told me to open a window. Well, the sun was shining directly into the window so that wasn't an option. Once the sun went down, I did open the window and then had the noise of traffic to keep me awake. The bed was torn on the mattress, and everything in the hotel needed a good clean, I don't think it's likely been updated since the 80's. I was stunned at how expensive the room was - city prices in a small town in a run down hotel! If I have to go to that town again, I'll take a tent - it would be better than this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Port Coquitlam, BC
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This place was dirty, musty smelling! The curtains were falling down. When we were packing we noticed there were actually empty beer cans under the bed from god knows when! Do not book here ever! The pillows were flat and the bed uncomfortable!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, bc
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This place is a dive. We had stayed here back in 2006 and it was fantastic. We stayed here for Easter weekend 2013 and it was dispicable. The room was filthy, our dishes were filthy. We had 3 kids, my husband and myself. We booked a room with the kichenette. Well we had 3 dinner plates, 3 forks, 1 bowl, 1 spoon for 5 of us. I was very dissappointed at the fact that the pool wasnt up and running, especially because I mentioned that when booking 1 week prior, No one told me it wasnt working. The kids then said thats ok, can we use the hottub. The sign on the door said that was fully functional. Ha!! That water was so stagnant, I got my kids out immediately and they went back to the room and showered. Disgusting!! When I went to the front desk to ask for more coffee, there was a lady checking in. She was given a voucher for a coffee and doughnut for each person in there party of 4. I was given nothing when I checked in. I brought my concerns to the attention of the front desk that I was not happy when I checked out. We were there 4 days. All the maids did was make the bed and dump our garbage. The floors were never cleaned. I was told we only do that once you have departed. There was so much dust and dirt and garbage under the couch. I would never stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Hotel could use some refurbishing, it's very 80's looking. Location is neither good nor bad, everything is quite close in Gibsons anyway. Luckily we got a non-smoking room, hotel lobby was quite cigarette smelling. But we got a discount deal for the room, 35 euros/night, so with that price I'm not complaining and the rooms were clean. No frills experience overall, but good for a one night stop. Might be nicer during summertime, when you can use the pool.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibsons
Gibsons Garden Hotel