“Inconsistent”

Cedars Inn Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #7 of 15 Gibsons B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Reports about this hotel from travellers in the area are from adequate to bad. Depending on the time of year it is either the air conditioning that doesn't work or the heat. Sometimes all goes well and the rooms overlooking the courtyard are really quite pleasant. It is convenient to the town's main mall, recreation centre, churches and some restaurants. Recommend checking out the room before paying anything.

Room Tip: Ask for courtyard room, and ask to look at it first.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank marmist454
Mario L, Manager at Cedars Inn Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2015

Thank you for your comments, we are very pleased to show any room prior to checking in. We offer very large rooms, nice amenities and a very central location for most traveler's needs

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The guy at the reception was very helpful, but that's the only positive I can say about the place. I felt so sad when I entered our 'suite'. The colors are depressing, the furniture must not have been changed since they built it (torn sofa, stained carpet) and the bed was squeaky. The layout of the hotel is strange, the rooms give onto a courtyard and we could hear people talk outside at night.
What a terrible choice, and it's not even cheap!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Roberta S
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Outstanding service, very accommodating. Hotel arranged a minivan for us to pickup upon arrival from the ferry. Upon my husbands request at booking, we arrived to champaign glasses and chocolates. Rooms are a bit outdated, but the cleanliness and service make it worth the stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jamie H

Thank you for your review, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again sometime

Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel has been around for some time, I think it is an "oldy but goody", it is still likable, even though it could use some updates.

We had stayed here 20 years ago. I had not read any of the reviews prior to booking and I am glad I didn't. Some of the negative reviews are clearly exaggerated. Having said that, if a traveler expects a level of luxury, this is not the place to stay. If you love B&B's, this is not your kind of place either.

Mario, the Manager, was friendly and personable, both on the phone and at check-in, very patient. Made sure we would get a room we were comfortable in.

We stayed 2 nights in a "courtyard room" (#113). Very spacious feel with high ceilings, a queen size bed, a sofa bed, kitchenette with fridge, microwave, stove etc, a dining table, older tube style TV which worked perfectly fine, over-sized bathroom, work desk. WiFi worked very well! This room was large and very clean with basic furnishings.

Complimentary cookies and apples around check-in time and there is a guest computer in the lobby.

Access to the room was through a hallway which leads to the courtyard. It appears the hotel is extensively used for business and service club meetings. Very conveniently located across from shopping center (Starbucks...)

The court yard became very lively in the late afternoon and evening. There are patio tables and chairs everywhere and people were clearly having a great time together. Some travelers would find it pretty noisy, but we enjoyed the sounds of people having fun.

The bed was average, in between comfortable and OK. Sleep experience is something very subjective to each person.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank garden-witch
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I don't know what the other accommodations are like in Gibsons but this is definitely one to stay away from. Maybe it's different in the summer but when I stayed here recently it was not good at all.

When I first walked into the reception area it stank of cigarette smoke. What a horrible way to be greeted. The counter guy was fine and we got our room quick enough. Went up to the room and found that it was 5 degrees celsius. It was a particular cold week for southern BC but I didn't expect the room to be frozen. Someone had left the air conditioner unit on so I went to turn it to heat but found it wasn't a combination AC heater unit. I turned it off and found that all they had was a portable, roll around, radiator style heater. There was no way it would heat the entire room.

I called back down and they were apologetic and got me another room that did have a combo AC heater unit which I immediately turned up to get the room to a decent temperature which it did. The room was pretty bare with two beds, a round meeting table, two chairs and a drawer unit with an ancient tube TV on it.

The carpet is old and worn. The cleanliness is okay at best. The room needed a lot of updates. The washroom was clean enough but when I took my shower the tub didn't drain quickly so I was standing in 4 to 5 inches of water.

Other weird quirks are how you get to the second floor. You would expect to walk into the area and have the stairs facing you but you have to walk all the way around and then go up the stairs. And, all of this is outside so no heating. The door that leads you to the heated (and might I add well heated hallways as opposed to the rooms that were not heated well) didn't need the key card as it was never locked.

Overall it was not a great experience. I don't think I've stayed at a hotel this bad since my days travelling into smaller towns in China back in the early 90's and that's saying something. You've been warned.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank warmhappyfeet
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My experience was quite different from that of some reviewers who found this hotel wanting. It suited me fine. I stayed for two nights.

The staff person at the front desk was very courteous and helpful. I liked the room, which was large and spotlessly clean. There was a simple kitchenette with a microwave, dishes, flatware, and cookware. It also had a small combination unit with a sink, stove, and frig. It was all that I needed. I walked across the street to the mall, which has a grocery store, and returned to cook dinner in the room. The room had free wifi and free local calls.

The bed was very comfortable. I got a good night's sleep, both nights. The hotel was quiet.

My experience at this hotel was positive. When I visit in the future, this will be my first choice.

Incidentally, one of the unofficial amenities is that the hotel is located next door to the cinema. I wasn't disturbed by any traffic or activity from the cinema. I would have definitely gone to the movies if they had been showing a film that interested me.

It is a short drive from this hotel to the waterfront area of Gibsons. Alternatively, you can take a bus, which stops close to the hotel, and continues on to the waterfront area and then to the ferry. If you are coming from the ferry, the bus stops in front of the mall, right across the street.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

This place is a dive, I felt like I was in a 1980's cifi flick. The heater was busted, the bathroom was gross and there was mold and mildew all over the place, the beds were hard as a rock, there were stains on the curtains that clearly had never been cleaned. Overall I would say this place should be condemned.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business