“Alot more than I was expecting”

Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located 18 km north & west of Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada at a location where the foothills of the Rocky Mountains meet the Great Plains, one of the world's oldest, largest, and best preserved buffalo jumps can be found. Head-Smashed-In - a UNESCO World Heritage Site - has been used continuously by aboriginal peoples of the plains nearly 6,000 years.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We were very impressed with our trip to the smashed in head buffalo jump. I want expecting such an impressive multilevel building. The views from the look out in amazing and is full of information stations to learn about the history of this location. The inside has many levels of artifacts, information and displays. I learned so much and the kids thought it was fun too

It is a little out of the way but worth the trip. The admission prices are reasonable and you get a lot for your money. Have a look for the maps offered by the tourist bureaus for $2 and they have lots of one admission free coupons. The hike up the hill is tough but there is a bus that will take you to the top. There is also a nice cafeteria there as well as a well stocked gift shop. Make sure to see the movie.

Love that this historic site has been preserved and that native people are working at this facility. Worth the visit and drive!

2  Thank Disco2102
"bannock"
"plains indians"
"great place to learn"

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were there almost 3 hours and could have there longer. See the movie before you visit other parts of the museum, it will make everything more meaningful. It describes the elaborate preparations made for the buffalo hunt before the tribes had horses. The museum is built so that it melds into the environment.

1  Thank Jacklyn S
Reviewed 15 August 2014

A great place to stop. Very informative with lots of displays. It was a shame that we missed the drumming and dancing as this only takes place on a Wednesday in July, but otherwise an excellent place.

1  Thank specky_10
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This place was recommended to us by the Visitor Center. The Kids enjoyed the Videos and the displays. It's a great place for them to learn.

1  Thank Jerret P
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was a little hesitant to go here, thinking it would be pretty boring. I've driven right by dozens of times on my way south. We went because we purchased a family pass for a bunch of Alberta museums, and this one was included. I pictured a cliff and a sign telling me that buffalo died here. Boy, was I ever underestimating the significance of this place.

First of all, the building is intriguing. The way it is built into the cliff and blends in is really neat. My only complaint about the whole experience is that I would have liked to read a little bit about the building construction and design process. Maybe it was there and I missed it.

Other reviewers are right. Some more interactivity built in would be nice. You are pretty much left on your own to wander through and you have to read a lot to get the full story. With that said, read a lot. The history of this place is absolutely fascinating. Watch the movie on the first floor to get an understanding of what you are seeing. Pay the $2.00 for the trail map if you walk the lower trail (just over 1 km loop). It's the only way to know what you are looking at along the way.

1  Thank John S