“Family meal out” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Chestfield
Price range: US$6 - US$22
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Chestfield Barn originated as part of the Chestfield Manor in the 14th Century, a possession of the half-brother of William the Conqueror, Odo, Bishop of Bayeaux. It is believed that the Manor dates back to as early as 1084, particularly as it is mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086. In the early part of the 20th Century the barn was converted in to a golf house by Abe Mitchell to service the 700 acre golf course constructed in 1924 by George Reeves. The 14th Century barn is now a pub restaurant offering a traditional and contemporary menu of freshly prepared dishes using locally sourced ingredients whenever possible.
Rochester, Kent
“Family meal out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Having been to this pub many many moons ago, we decided to pop out last night for a meal with my parents and children. We live about an hour away but remembered this pub fondly from when we used to have relatives in the area.
We arrived about 8'oclock and as we walked in we saw the notice about children. Kicking ourselves for not calling first to check their policy, we were prepared to go elsewhere but we asked the guy behind the bar if it was ok to eat there with the kids. Not a problem, he said! I cant understand why so many people had problems when visiting with children?! They do have a childrens menu after all so its not like little ones are unwelcome??
We had a great meal, the Scampi and chunky chips was delicious, the Barn burgers looked amazing, my 11yr old son said his was tasty and he had trouble finishing it. Hubby has thr seafood platter and it looked great. We had a few drinks and was only there for about 2hrs but at no point were we made to feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. Granted it was a quiet Tuesday night, maybe things would have been different if it had been 8 o'clock on a Friday but then I wouldn't be so stupid as to take my kids to a pub at that time. I wouldn't hesitate to pop in again next time we venture that way. The gardens looked just how I remembered, from when I was a kid, and hopefully next time the weather will be nicer so we can sit outside.
I only have one gripe and that was the toilets..my dad and husband both commented they could do with a bit of tlc.

• Visited August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Snogmagnet
foxtrotnoscar, Owner at Chestfield Barn, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for your leaving your review and particular thanks for putting our child policy in to perspective. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us so much and we love your comments regarding the food. The gardens have changed little over the years, the main change being the addition of an umbrella for the smokers! The fish are still there and the bridge has been rebuilt only recently. We totally agree with your comment regarding the toilets and we are currently looking in to some refurbishment work here in the near future. Thank you for sharing your experience with others, it means a lot to us as it's a huge compliment for people to recommend us in this way. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My partner and I visited on a Saturday evening for a drink and a meal and everything was lovely. Nice local beer, food was good - a bit pricy but then thats what you pay for good food in a lovely environment in a place like Chestfield. I did notice the sign about kids that other people have mentioned, but being totally selfish about things and not being a parent too often is this sort of place blighted by screaming kids that ruin your evening - not a problem here - clearly to the disgust of the buggy brigade.

So the food is good, we didn't have a desert because we were too full after a starter and the lovely pork. Everything was served promptly by smiling, friendly enough staff. Will definitely be back again at some point.

The only thing I could have a moan about if I was being mean was the coke was a bit flat... But thats quiet common from those pump things - I don't remember seeing a bottled option but thats not really a big deal.

All in all absolutely fine... If your looking for a quiet meal then it fits the bill quiet nicely.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Brad2523
Hi Brad2325

Thank you for your feedback and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your evening at the Barn. We are delighted to hear that you experienced friendly & polite service, great food and all served by our happy smiling staff! We appreciate your comments regarding youngsters, well behaved children are always welcome and whilst we understand that some will become fractious we have to rely on the parents to keep the peace but this does not always happen. We have noted your observations on the coke and will have a look at this. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Rude and greedy.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

i was served a very small fish and chips (cod was about 3-4", and about 12 chips!). I complained politely because £11 was a bit steep for the smallest cod i've ever seen and was told i could have another piece, great! I was then told 'chef says no' and changed his mind. I was offered something else, so i said that a discount would suffice, 'chef says no!'.
I wasn't offered an apology or a drink and made to feel like i was in the wrong.
Also, serving local beer at £4.10 a pint is daylight robbery.

11 Thank Pineapples
Narberth
“Gorgeous food and pleasant service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I visited this restaurant on a hot summers evening in late July. The restaurant and it's ambience are stunningly beautiful. The ancient barn has been restored impressively. There is a delightful garden Lilly pond populated with fish, and you can purchase food to feed them.
Idyllic surroundings.
The food did not disappoint us. It was served hot and the food was fresh. There was a well balanced use of herbs to savour the food. I had the fish platter and was treated to a stunning pot of dressed crab, prawns, cod, served with Parma ham and Mediterranean salad. What a mouthwatering treat. My husband had the slow cooked pork and was talking about it long after the meal was finished.
Our young waitress could not have been more helpful or pleasant. There were no long waits even on a very busy night. I have since read a number of negative reports of this restaurant, which did not match my experience. If I was the owner I would immediately double the wages of that young woman, who makes every customer feel special.
Thank you Chestfield for a lovely evening and great dining.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank diiivav123
foxtrotnoscar, Owner at Chestfield Barn, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you so much! We are not pro-active in seeking reviews or requesting customers to review our facilities so when we receive comments like these it really makes our day! We hope you will come and visit us again when you are next in the area.
Whitstable
“Typical summers evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Arrived about 4 30 to avert friendly welcome staff very helpful and friendly have eaten here a few times and can honestly say that each time service had been prompt,friendly and the staff very helpful and friendly. Found the owners very knowledgable about the wine they were serving and quite willing to spend time explaining. Can say a very nice time had each time I have visited unlike some of the other local pubs

• Visited July 2014
6 Thank Simiril
It’s great when one of our many contented and regular customers takes the time to leave a review such as yours. Very much appreciated. Thank you!