“My new home away from home!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Silver Sands Vacation Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duncans
Silver Sands Vacation Villas
Owings Mills, Maryland
“My new home away from home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

This was my 2nd time visiting Jamaica in 6 years, however this was my first time staying at Silver Sands. Let's say, I've found my 2nd home. Silver Sands provides an authentic Jamaican experience. The found was amazing. Our care giver Patrina, made the most amazing home town food. She made sure we were always taken care of. The vibe at Silver Sands was so relaxing and everyone was so friendly. The beach was never crowded, the water was absolutely beautiful. Again, I go back to the food..... Everything was fresh and flavorful. I cried on my last day. Leaving paradise was so hard to do. I'm already gearing up for next year.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a large party, try to get villas on the same side of the resort.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank nel1206

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Dalton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

There were six of us in our group; my husband & I (ages with held to protect the innocent), two grandsons (14 & 17) and our daughter & her boyfriend (mid-late 30’s). We arrived in Jamaica about noon and were met by our driver & mysilversands Rep. We reached Silver Sands about 2:30pm, and were greeted by Miss Lily, our cook and Miss Nadine, our housekeeper, who were busy preparing our Welcome Dinner.

After quickly putting our things away, we headed down to the beach for a few hours. Dinner was ready on our return. That evening, we went back to the beach, watched the sunset, and enjoyed the NBA finals with Sheldon at the bar. (Credit/Debit cards are accepted but must be over $50. No problem - ran a tab and paid at the end of the week!)

Our routine for the week: Swim in the villa pool, have breakfast, and head to the beach. Back in the afternoon for a snack & another swim in the pool. Some afternoons, we would lie around the pool before dinner – others we walked to Fisherman’s Beach to check out their wares or returned to the beach. Dinner was about 4:30 every afternoon. More pool after dinner and about 7:00pm time we headed to the beach patio to spend a few hours. We played cards on the beach patio or at the villa in the evenings. What better way to spend your day?

Monday, shopping in Ducans with Miss Lily and Tuesday and awesome trip to Dunns' River Falls.... seperate trip reports! Wednesday was another day of pool, beach and relaxation. It started to rain just before dinner. It was the only evening it rained and we missed our night on the patio, but we really could not complain.

7:30am on Thursday, four of us headed out with Errol to snorkel. When we were there eleven years ago, he took us snorkeling… and he has not aged a bit! The rest of the day we relaxed by the pool and went to the beach.

That night there were Crab Races on the patio. It was the only night we did not take our camera with us, so we did not get photos… bummer! It was a quiet night with only a few of us, but the Manager of the Race still indulged us and had three races. It was one of the most entertaining things to see! He did a great job, calling the race – just as if it was the Kentucky Derby! All had a good time!

Friday, trip with Mikey to Cockpit Country... again, an awesome seperate trip report!

Saturday was the last day. We spent part of the day doing our usual; rest, pool beach, etc., but did go to Fisherman’s Beach & Villa Mart (Cash & Credit/Debit cards accepted) for some final purchases to take home. Miss Lily cooked pink snapper for diner and it was delicious! After packing & relaxing, we headed to the Patio on the Beach for the last time. On the other side of the Beach Grill was a Wedding. You could see the paper lanterns hanging from the trees, the tall chef hats of the servers, and hear the music playing. It was a beautiful sight.

Walking back that night left us feeling satisfied, yet sad. We could not help but reflect on our trip and the wonderful time we had. The next morning, Miss Lily & Nadine were there to fix our breakfast and see us off. We were sad to leave. All through the week, Miss Lily cooked delicious meals, gave good advice and was truly an asset. Miss Nadine, our housekeeper, kept the house and our clothes clean. She is a bit shy but very sweet.

Our week had just the right balance between activities and relaxation. Blue Vista is beautifully decorated, is in a good location, has aan amazing view of the sea from the living room, dining room and master bedroom and pool area. The pool nice size and perfect! Miss Lily and Miss Nadine help make your vacation a “real” vacation… no worries! The Silver Sands beach is unbeatable – soft white sand, blue skies, and clear Caribbean blue water. The Beach Patio is cozy, laid back, a nice place to sit... and Sheldon the bartender takes good care of you. Villa Mart is handy (good variety of food, other necessities and souvineers), and the Mysilversands staff is helpful and friendly. We cannot say enough good things about our snorkeling guide Errol and our drivers Mikey and Barry.

Silver Sands is a comfortable, cozy 'community... gated and secure. There are lots of home to choose from in all variations: size, location from the beach, view, ammenities and price. Although we did not take advantage of the grill on the patio, we saw many who did... the food looked scrumptious! Beach & water is simply amazing! As mentioned earlier, we did make use of the beach patio, bar, villa mart & Fisherman's Beach next door. You can venture out, should you wish, but be content right where you are. You can rest assuerd that no matter which villa you choose, you will have am amazing vacation!

Would we recommend Silver Sands, Blue Vista Villa and mysilversands? Will we return…. and soon? The answers are: yes, yes, yes, yes… and YES!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Charwatkin
Aruba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Just so you know I tend to go on and on because it was the best vacation I have ever had. We stayed April 5th to April 15th. We feel the same way as so many others. We are torn about telling everyone how fantastic it was because we want to keep it all to ourselves.
This type of vacation is the perfect fit for us. We are early 50’s and have travelled extensively around the Caribbean to many islands and many all inclusive resorts, all a 4+ or 5*. Two years ago we rented a Villa in Barbados which had its own small pool and close to the beach. Only down side was we had to do all our own cooking or go out to eat. My husband and I love to cook so it wasn’t a hardship but when we stumbled along Silver Sands through the Trip Advisor web site and saw Villas for rent with a housekeeper and a cook who would prepare all our meals and clean up....well that was it.
Almost all the reviews for the Villas at Silver Sands were glowing and that carried a lot of weight for us.
This year we travelled with another couple, very good friends of ours which we have vacationed with before.
We picked Hang Time for a several reasons. 1. The bedroom configuration was similar. Three bedrooms all entering out to the pool area. 2. Two of the three bedrooms had a king sized bed, all had an on-suite bathroom. 3. It had an ocean view from either the pool deck or the fantastic upper deck where we had our morning tea/coffee and our evening cocktails and watched the sun go down. 4. A four person golf cart for our use. 5. Its location. A bit farther back from the breach than most but secluded, no neighbours next door to worry about as our music would get a tad loud on occasion.
It was amazing how quickly you feel at home. Every morning Ingrid and Lucille came at 10am and stayed until 6 pm, at our request. We would all be up about 7am each morning which was amazing because I am not a morning person, we’d have our tea and coffee on the upper deck then swim, read, sun until they arrived and they would prepare breakfast/brunch for us.
The rest of the day(s) were pretty much the same, sun, read, swim, have a cocktail or two. By day three we joked that we felt like we were in the movie Ground Hog Day starring Bill Murray. It was hard to get off the lounge chair to do much more than swim in the pool.
I’m not kidding when I say it was my best vacation ever. It was mindless. No having to wait in line to make dinner reservations for the evening, no having to get dressed for dinner unless we wanted to. No sharing your vacation with 300+ other people, no children screaming in the pool, no so-so food, no having to be at the beach or pool early to secure a chair, no obnoxious loud, drunk red necks giving the bartender a hard time. We have found our perfect vacation and we will be going back. Next year we will be going by ourselves as our friends already have a commitment. We will only require one bedroom so we wanted to see what some of the others were like. We called the office and they arranged for us to see several others. We were hard pressed to find another that had what Hang Time had to offer.

The staff at the Silver Sands office was very attentive, they called at least three times to ensure everything was to our likening; they wanted to make sure we were happy and satisfied. Our pick up and drop off at the airport was flawless. Mike, our pick-up driver was very accommodating; he had cold drinks for us and even stopped on our way so the guys could buy a few more Red Stripes.
Ingrid and Lucille were amazing!!! I can’t praise them enough. Our meals were outstanding, breakfast was usually traditional. Bacon, eggs, pancakes, fresh fruit, the best pineapple I have ever had, local apples, papaya, bananas, juice, the best hash browns I have ever had, toast etc. As we ate around noon every day we didn’t need lunch although we mixed it up a couple of days and had yummy delicious jerk chicken one day and hamburgers another instead of breakfast. One day Ingrid made us a traditional Jamaican breakfast which was amazing.
Dinner.... I don’t know where to begin! We had Pepper Pot soup and Pumpkin soup which was to die for, goat, ox tails, fried chicken, jerk chicken, roast chicken, pasta, spaghetti and meat balls, Red Snapper, rice and peas, sweet potatoes, sticky rice, salads....on and on.
The weather was perfect, hot, hot, hot, sunny, but sitting on the pool deck there was always a magnificent breeze. It rained for about 30 minutes one day.
You had your choice of sitting in the sun or the shade but always a subtle cooling breeze. There were lots of places to sit, four comfortable lounge chairs, several chairs and the outside dining table. The pool water temperature was perfect, cool, warm, refreshing all at the same time.
It was nice enough at night to not need the air conditioning, although we did turn it on twice. The bed linens were changed three times in 10 days and the bath towels each day. All towels and linen were washed and were line dried in the sun which gave them that crisp, soft feel.
We purchased almost everything from the Villa Mart. We found the selection was very good and prices to be very reasonable. Either Ingrid or Lucille would shop for us; they went into Duncan’s maybe three times to purchase things the Villa Mart did not carry. A vegetable vendor and a fish vendor came by at least twice. For 10 days, for four people we spent about $600.00 and that included food, wine, beer and alcohol.
IMPORTANT NOTE if you are Canadian and enjoy a Bloody Caesar....They have Clamato in Jamaica!! I think they had to get it from Duncan’s as the local Villa Mart did not carry it but I was so happy! It was expensive compared to what we pay here but, heh, you’re on vacation mon.

Beach.... beautiful, white power sand. We didn’t spend a lot of time at the beach because of the pool but we would go down for a walk occasionally. It was virtually deserted, we saw maybe 10 people on it once. There were lots of chairs and umbrellas, no problem getting a chair. It was rather breezy but refreshing.
We have already booked for next year, unfortunately not Hang Time as we only require one bedroom but we would go back to Hang time in a minute when we travel with our friends again.
I see some comments from people who book other than with My Silver Sands that may be why they have problems. I would highly recommend My Silver Sands, our expectations were exceeded. Irie mon

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank RoweboatAruba
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

My family (kids 9 and 12) shared Oh Boy Villa with friends (kids 10 and 13) and found this to be a fantastic arrangement! The Silver Sands community felt safe and clean, the beach bar and convenience store were well-stocked and steps from the beautiful beach and safe surf. No gym but my friend and I jogged in the late afternoons and found a decent 2k loop that worked. The community was at capacity on the Easter weekend but it was never crowded. The rest of the week was very quiet, sometimes we had the whole beach to ourselves.
The reason for the lack of beach-goers may be that vacationers spend much time at their individual villas, because they are well appointed and comfortable (especially compared to sharing a hotel room with your family!) The villa we chose was ideal with 4 bedrooms, spacious common areas and staff who took good care of us. The decor was typical 10 year-old tropical - just fine for our needs (we weren't looking for luxury although I think you can find that at other villas for a price). The essential ingredient turned out to be our villa's private pool. The kids were in there constantly and it was so convenient, once again, compared to a hotel situation.
We ate very well, thanks to our staff. They either bought supplies (from Villamart of from town) or helped us buy from the local fishermen and vegetable growers. One night was my daughter's birthday and Yasmin even decorated the table, supplied hats, and made a birthday cake (in addition to the fresh lobster meal). So sweet. Also that night, we went down to the beach bar and they had made up a sign and balloons for my daughter and had special treats and a little ceremony for her - how very personal. Then we had a dance party and they taught us the Jamaican "dolla-wine" dance. A great time.
We loved Silver Sands so much we chose not to leave on any excursions during our stay, and we very much hope to return someday.
All in, the cost was quite comparable to our stay at an all-inclusive in Cabo last year, since we shared the house with another family. It cost maybe a little more, but it was also a much better location and experience.

Room Tip: Good view and close to beach
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank skc10
Ottawa Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

Our group of 18 recently returned from Pineapple Villa and Pineapple Cottage at Silver Sands. We have vacationed at Silver Sands in different Villas for the past four years and have already booked for next year. The beach has sand like icing sugar and clear warm water and many times we were the only people there. No wall to wall people on sun loungers here!
Sunshine, a beautiful breeze, the sound of the waves along with clean well appointed Villas and a wonderful and caring staff are the reasons we look forward to returning every year.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kanucks
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2011

We returned on Saturday night from a wonderful week at Silver Sands Villa Resort and since it seems like there are not that many reviews of villa stays on Tripadvisor I wanted to be sure to write something, timely. Maybe people don’t write a review since they don’t want everyone to know about this great spot in Jamaica, for such a great price. But I know when we were planning and waiting for our trip it would have been nice to have more to read. They have a nice website, but having been a Couples Resorts repeater three times, I did like checking in with their message board prior to our trips.
My husband and I usually do our winter get away on our own, but this year we traveled with two other couples, two of my sisters and their husbands. We wanted to do something different than the all-inclusive resort, since after traveling to a number of them we realized we really were not taking advantage of all the inclusives. So we started investigating villa rental. There are so many choices. Many are a bit costly and just did not seem to be a better option than the all inclusives. And the idea of being in a free standing house for the first time trying this option seemed a bit intimidating. So when my brother-in-law stumbled on Silver Sands it seemed like a terrific alternative.
A gated, secure community of individual villas, along a fine beach, with a bar, grill and store really appealed to all of my traveling companions, the best of everything. A free standing house in a community that had resort amenities seemed to be a great way to go. Deciding on a villa was fun using the website which seemed to be a great depiction of the properties. And indeed they were, in fact, the website did not do the whole resort justice. It was better than we had hoped.
In planning our stay communication was good and responsive. They contacted us to inquire about our beverage requests, 6 red stripes, for the ride from the airport. They were ready for us when we got to the pick-up spot. Our driver was quiet. We got there in less than 45 minutes. Which was great compared to our rides to Negril and Ocho Rios. The driver dropped us off at the front gate at Eirie Blue, our villa of choice.
It was beautiful. Ann and Charlene where there to greet us. They had the place ready for us and our dinner was cooking, including cake, and the wonderful aromas filled the house. We had suggested that they could provide us with meals for the weekend so that we did not have to worry about anything until Monday. Turns out we never had to worry about a thing. We let Ann, our cook; know that we were game for anything. That was as big a decision we had to make.
The villa was wonderful in and out. We have no complaints what so ever about Eirie Blue. It was comfortable, beautifully decorated in and out. The little touches, like wonderful table linens, made things so special. It was spotless. The lighting throughout the house and outside enhanced our stay and all four bedrooms where beautiful, bright and airy. The view from the living room out onto the terrace, the pool/hot tub and the sea was spectacular. We were so pleased with the privacy of the villa. The side gardens with hedges were a pleasant surprise as was the beautiful courtyard out front.
The entire resort was wonderful. There was an air of history about the place, stopped in time in many ways, which we all loved. Strolling the grounds and gazing at all the wonderful villas was a wonderful way to start the day. Spending time going between the resort beach and our pool kept the days busy. Breaking for drinks made by the great bar staff or enjoying patties (only two days since the breakfast and dinner was more than enough for us!) at the grill was always a nice diversion. Everyone, everywhere was nice, including other guests. Overall it was just a great vibe.
Every meal was beyond wonderful. Every breakfast was satisfying and different. Dining on the terrace was lovely. Dining in the dining room refined. Dinner was fabulous each and every night. We had some of the best Jamaican food I have had ever had. We were disappointed that we were not able to have lobster, but the huge red snapper we bought from the fisherman in front of the house, with Ann’s advice was so good. Her preparation was different and delicious. She made snapper another evening and it was great as well. We are not big dessert eaters, but we did enjoy the vanilla cake, the key lime pie and chocolate cake.
We ventured over to Leroy’s a few times which was a short stroll and a great way to spend some time away from our gated community. We purchased a number of items from the stands. And it was nice to see the coast go on and on.
We did not get to the evening entertainment but for the welcome party, which never materialized. We did take a trip to Falmouth with Ann the day before the cruise ship arrived. The place was buzzing and we enjoyed the opportunity to peruse the market where Ann purchased our veggies. It was really something to see everyone getting ready for the arrival of the big ship and it was really something to watch the ship go along the coast as it made its way for it maiden landing.
We took the included trip to Montego Bay and we were disappointed in our time there. There was not a whole lot to do while there. Shops were closed. We had drinks at an empty Margaretville and spent some time at the casino. We found the folks from our trip to see if they would be willing to leave earlier than the scheduled departure and they in agreement, which we were happy about. If there were gamblers in our group it may have been different. When we go back we will not bother with this inclusion. Maybe an earlier departure so that some shopping could be done would work better.
The jetty with gazebo was certainly a constant photo op. The beach was constantly cleaned. It was not an easy job. The rough seas made it difficult. There is much to explore on the grounds. Walking is easy. We were not able to snorkel due to rough seas. But the coast was varied and walking from end to end of the property offered a variety of experiences.
Could some of the painted surfaces around the grounds use a new coat of white paint? I guess so, but overall we have no complaints about anything. It is the north coast, so the wind was ever present. Had it been warmer, I guess we would have enjoyed it more. The wind makes the water a bit rougher than I would like. I like 7 mile beach more. But then I did not pay 7 mile prices. And now in refection the wind and rougher waters don’t seem to be an issue.
Our time to leave came too quickly but it was smooth and easy. They honored our request to leave earlier than scheduled. Glad we did. Arrival and departure on Saturday was a waiting game going through security and immigrations. Our driver home was very talkative and we enjoyed hearing about the sites along the way.
We had a wonderful vacation at Silver Sands and I plan to return. It is an overall wonderful vacation concept. Place to stay, securely, having meals prepared, place cleaned, and laundry taken care of all the while we were able to spend time having the vacation of a life time. It was a vacation none of us will soon forget.
Silver Sands seems to be a wonderful hidden gem that we are so grateful to have been able to discover. Thank you to all who work behind the scenes to make visitors time at the resort relaxing and fun. Thank you to Ann and Charlene for making our time at the house so unforgettable. We are all in awe of how you managed to make our meal so far in advance of our dinner time and it seeming as if it was prepared right before it was served. We had some of the best meals we have ever savored.
Thank you, Silver Sands, Eirie Blue, but mostly to Ann and Charlene. You were beyond fabulous.

• Stayed February 2011
8 Thank jcjcnj
Dalton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

First, let me say our first stay at Silver Sands was in Feb 2000. Although it has been some time, we have kept up with the area.

Our stay was at The Orchid House and it was simply put.. ."Wonderful!!' The staff couldn't have been better, seeing to our every need, giving good advise and cooking the most delicious meals! The house was lovely and spaceous!

Silver Sands Community is just that... a community, just like being at home. Several homes are spread out over the landscape and are varied in size, cost, and decor. It was fun to walk the little roads surrounding the community and see what all Silver Sands had to offer. Although we had been to the mysilversands website quiet frequently and it was detailed and accurate... seeing was believing.

The beach is one of the most beautiful you have every seen... soft white sand and carribbean blue water. There are chairs and little umbrella stands dotted along the beach to use. The beach bar and club house area were just the right size.

Fisherman's Beach, next door, was an interesting place to visit. We enjoyed watching the local vendors work their majic and had something to drink at Leroy's bar. It was like something out of a Hemminway novel. We did let all know (respectfully) we were not ready to purchase anything until the day before we left. After that, we were able to return several times and enjoy. Return we did, and made a point of buying a little something from each shop.

I cannot begin to say enough about Silver Sands or The Orchid House. It was the perfect 'laid back' vacation. We felt safe and pampered. We have stayed at an All Inclusive and enjoyed it very much, but it just couldn't compare to the feeling of being "home" at Silver Sands. We could dress how we wanted, eat when & what we wanted and not feel as if we were on anyone's time schedule but our own.

Cost compared about the same. That all depends on the All Inclusive, as wel as the Villa you choose. For us, it worked out about the same.

As far as food, it is up to you. What you eat, how much you spend and when you eat is your choice. We had a fairly large breakfast every day, sandwiches for lunch and a big dinner (complete w/dessert) every night. Talk your likes, dislikesand budget, with the Staff at your particular Villa. The will do things 'your' way. They work hard to ensure your stay is just as expected... remember, it is their livlihood at stake.

If you're in the market for excitment and entertainment... don't go to Silver Sands. It has enough to do (swim, relax, lay on the beach & listen to the sound of the sea, eat great food, relax, snorkel, kayak, fish, relax, etc. Did I mention relax??) and a small amount of entertainment from the Beach Bar area. It is not a mega resort - it is a community, where you feel safe and content.

Highly recommended for families with kids who know how to entertain themselves. Also, couples, groups,Weddings, and Honeymooners. It's also great for singles who aren't into the big bar scene and enjoy doing their own thing. Doesn't mean you can't have a good time (a little Rum is a good thing!) but crazy crowds just arent' your thing.

Although we wanted to return before now, I am happy to say we'll be returning to Silver Sands this June (2011). This time, we'll be taking two of our grandson's with us (14 & 17) and they can hardly wait! We'll be staying at Blue Vista Villa. It is no way a reflection on The Orchid House... I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND it!! We just wanted to try another Villa and Blue Vista was our choice. As soon as we get back (in June) I will give a trip review for Blue Vista Villa. We can hardly wait to return!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Charwatkin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duncans
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Half Moon
Half Moon
#2 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,987 reviews

Been to Silver Sands Vacation Villas? Share your experiences!