“Relaxing get away Doctor Bird Villa”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duncans
Silver Sands Vacation Villas
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We didn't see any reviews of this house so I wanted to be sure to write one. The house is as it appears online. The staff, Caroline and Lettis were lovely. Everyday the entire house was cleaned. We didn't need laundry done but it was offered. The house is comfortable, not fancy, and suits families.
Doctor Bird is a 6 minute walk from the beach and very private. You can hear the ocean from poolside. There was some construction on the street but it wasn't very noisy. There was a security person both at the gate and on the perimeter and we felt safe walking around.

The food situation was a little strange as the Villa Mart was low on inventory when we arrived (Christmas Eve) we got groceries from Duncans. We got lobster and were able to get fish when the surf calmed down. If you know exactly what you want for meals and the time you want to eat it is helpful.

Overall, it was a great stay. It would have been nice to have more outdoor poolside seating and we couldn't get the internet to work. The people at Silver Sands were easy to deal with and called during our stay to be sure everything was going well.
Send me a PM if you have any questions. I have a review on the forum http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k4130001-Silver_Sands_Dunn_s_River_golf_detailed_report-Jamaica.html

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank plan09

Reviewed 5 September 2010

Absolutely brilliant. A different holiday than we wer used to, but will certainly return!

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mcdowesj
Reviewed 3 August 2010

In the last few years, I have stayed with friends at four separate villas in Silver Sands. I think it's time to finally write a review..

Tia Maria - I had to the pleasure to stay at Tia Maria early last month and loved it. It's a 3 a/c bedroom villa with a large private yard, 2 big verandas, and a good-sized pool. Loved it all. I would guess that it's an older villa, but it is very well maintained. The yard was so pretty! Many flowers, butterflies, hummingbirds.. Elaine, the chef/housekeeper for our small group was wonderful. She is gracious and accommodating. We are easy to please and really needed just a few dinners to be made. No problem. Elaine was flexible about our preference of buying our own groceries and not needing her to fuss over us. Her curry chicken was delicious and her fried chicken was outstanding. She quietly went about her duties keeping the villa spotless and gave us our privacy while doing so. I will definitely return to this villa.

Roots Cottage - I enjoyed a short 3 night stay at Roots Cottage last winter. We broke the trip up between here and another villa as we wanted to stay seaside for a few days.
I spent most of my time between the courtyard and the huge living room gazing at the sea. What a spot! It really was nicer than it appears on the website. The master bedroom is spectacular, with a large window and view of the sea. It was very spacious and had a nice vanity area as well as plenty of closet space. I had one of the smaller bedrooms, but it was fine too. For some reason, my room(bdrm 3?) had a nice cool constant cross breeze. Joy and Jennifer looked after us well and it was sweet of Joy to bake my friend a cake for her birthday. The villa seems newish and was always nice and clean. The only negatives I can think of regarding Roots Cottage is that it lacks a pool, if that is of importance. Also, there was a small roof leak in the living room. I will
definitely come back when I'm in need of some seaside tranquility.

Valhalla Villa - We spent the better part of a week at this villa last winter. It is a nicely decorated, 3 bedroom villa with a pool. Valerie did a good job of keeping it clean. The front veranda and pool were nice, but I must say I do prefer a villa with the pool in the back yard. There was a rear veranda, but it was being utilized for laundry and such so we did not sit out there. The yard is pretty and somewhat private, but not large. This is a good value villa, but was not my favorite of the ones I stayed at in Silver Sands.

Emerald By The Sea - During the winter of 2009, I spent a week at this large villa. I loved the location. It was quite far from the beach area, but situated up on a hill where it had a view of the sea. There was a pool which was small, but plenty big enough for us, as well as a pretty pool deck where we spent most of our time. It was so convenient to just step out of the villa and into the pool. For the life of me, I cannot recall the chef and housekeeper's names, but they did a great job looking after us. We had a wonderful stay there. The only negative I can think of is a minor plumbing issue in which I had to hold the handle down to get the toilet to flush. I think the plumbing could use some updating. I would definitely return if this villa becomes available. It looked to have a long term renter or the owner there last time I checked. Nice place.

Silver Sands in general is a beautiful place. The beach is outstanding. It has lovely views in all directions, soft white sand, beach bar/restaurant, and plenty of loungers. I must add that the young woman working the bar makes a butt-kicking margarita. You may have to crawl back to your villa..and that's after only one! The grounds of Silver Sands are great for walking or running and there is tennis for those who are inclined to play. It's a place for those looking for a quiet retreat, rather than those seeking lots of entertainment and activity. I'm sorry to say I have no pictures to add as I have not been bringing my camera on my travels in the past few years. It is definitely a good place to rest for a while!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ms.L
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Our trip to silver sands, Queens cottage, was simply spectacular!

Being a recent college graduate this was my first time ever planning a vacation of my own, let alone for five of my other friends. I was nervous what to look for, what questions to ask and how to go about booking a place to stay for 6 college friends that would be the best for our budget. Mysilversands.com is the real deal. They made it so easy and comfortable for me to go ahead and book our vacation and with such reasonable costs!!

Queens cottage is the ultimate package. It is the ideal location being right on the beach and has an amazing deck overlooking the ocean. It is so close to the store and fun tiki bar next door. The house was so clean and put together that it made for such a comfortable stay. I can honestly say that other vacationers we met were quite jealous of our set up. But the best part is hands down the staff. Our cook Nadine was absolutely wonderful. She made our trip what it was. Her cooking was unbelievable and her hospitality is unlike any other. We will miss her so much! And our driver Miguel, we had all week to take us anywhere we wanted to go. We never had to worry about cabs or how we would get somewhere. He made our trip so special. It was like having our own personal tour guide.

The beach at silver sands is breathtaking. They keep is very clean and the ocean is perfect for anyone to swim in. We were blown away by the setting and entire atmosphere. we felt safe the entire trip and met some wonderful staff all week.

Our highlight was climbing Dunns river falls and the Bio-luminescence lagoon. But karaoke and the talent show at silver sands were right up there!! If your looking for nightlife margaritaville in Montego Bay is the place to be.

My only recomendation is bring BUG SPRAY! The sand flies and moscitos were a little annoying and our OFF ran out quickly. But other than that everything ran so smoothly.

If you are considering staying at silver sands... I would recommend it 150%! It was the absolute best vacation 6 college friends could ask for and at such a cheap price. The package altogether was a screaming deal and an unforgettable experince. Please feel free to contact me with any questions! Ashley.ahlgrim@vmmc.org I would love to put any concerns to rest and convince you that this is the best place to go when visiting Jamaica. I was hesitant when booking our trip for 6 but it turned out to be better than anything I could of asked for.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank aahlgrim5
Reviewed 5 June 2010

We have stayed in Silversands more that once (2005 and 2007) and in my opinion this is the most relaxing vacation spot ever.

The staff see to your every need and help to make your holiday most enjoyable. We first stayed at Tu Mac then at Saltash and both Constance and Elaine cooked the most wonderful meals each day. Some of our favourites were lobster in butter sauce, curried chicken, roast lamb just to name a few dishes. Fresh fruit started our day and many refreshing Red Stripes and Tings to quench the thirst.

The beaches are on the finest white sand and are not crowded at all as it is a private beach.

We made use of the transportation package in both stays and Mark was a great tour guide and host and made our trips most memorable.

We have booked a 3 week family vacation in 2010 at Beach Haven and will keep you posted on the outcome which we are expecting to be as good as previous trips.

Some sights to see nearby would Rose Hall Great House, Rafting on the Martha Brae, and dining at Glistening Waters with a famous boat ride after.

Would recommend Silversands Villas as a great place to stay!

Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank italtraveller
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Our group of 6 people, 3 dentists, one dental student, spouse and daughter, stayed at Tu Mac for 7 nights. We were in Jamaica on a volunteer dental trip staffing a clinic outside of Duncans. Constance and Cynthia were outstanding as our cook and housekeeper. Cynthia even arranged a local seamstress to alter some of my clinic attire. The food was excellent and the oven door problem has been solved with a new stove. The house is set up with mutipule beds and all have separate baths. We enjoyed snorkeling, shopping at Jacob's Landing and conversing with the local shop owners and fisherman. This is not your all inclusive (sheltered) resort experience. Everyone in the compound is friendly, hardworking and helpful. It was just the start of low season and very quiet. We will return to Tu Mac on our next trip.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2010

We rented Roots Cottage for the week. The staff was amazing, the food was wonderful. The view was too good to be true. It was such a laid back relaxing vacation, nice and peaceful. The beach was never croweded and everything happened on your own schedule. I don't think I could ever go back to a all inclusive resort. I loved Silver Sands so much I'm planning my wedding there next year.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chicolvr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duncans
0 mi away
#10 of 14 in Runaway Bay
Jackie's on the Reef
Jackie's on the Reef
#37 of 80 in Negril

Been to Silver Sands Vacation Villas? Share your experiences!