Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
US$88
Seacrest Beach Resort(St. Ann's Bay)
US$108
US$100
  • Pool
US$151
Average 3/5
Moon Palace Jamaica(Ocho Rios)
US$585
US$529
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
Rooms Ocho Rios(Ocho Rios)
US$83
US$97
US$95
  • Pool
6,063 results
All reviewsdiamond roompier dinnerblue holejade samuraicoral cafemountain viewentertainment staffpizza ovenocho riosjerk chickenwrapspizza placethe grillitalian restaurantpiano barnature walkour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We went to The Jewel because it was the destination for an anniversary celebration of some good friends of ours. We were excited to be a part of the celebration, but found the resort to be a great experience, but had just a few areas of needed improvement. The grounds were beautiful and obviously well-kept (although dated; formerly a Sandals resort), but the service could have been better. Although we could see that some of the service workers were really trying, the level of service was not what it could have been considering the ratio of staffing to vacationers. Most times, we had to ask for more or get our own drinks, bring our laundry to the front desk to be cleaned (instead of house keeping picking it up from our room), a couple of the food service workers had attitudes (I think they have become "Americanized"), we had requested or room be on a high floor, but instead were given a second floor room (with a view of the roof of an adjacent building) and had to ask to be moved, the exercise facility was outdoors, therefore the equipment had rusted due to exposure to the elements, and the pool water sometimes looked dirty. However, with all of that said, we still had a wonderful time! The food was great, most of the servers did take a lot of pride in their work and as I mentioned, the grounds were beautiful! The pictures on the website are exactly what you will see when you go there. They had a variety of good exercise/fitness programs, the massage services were wonderful, their entertainment staff was fabulous and worked extremely hard to pump up the crowd and bring a high level of excitement, they had wonderful dinner events (i.e., "dinner on the beach, dinner on the pier," etc.), they had great photography services, onsite vendors were brought in daily to allow you to shop for souvenirs and gifts on location (never pay full price for their items though as they gouge vacationers vicously; negotiate the prices to about half of what they are asking for each item or bundle your purchases for one price and always be willing to walk away) and wonderful wedding location views. If we ever go back to Jamaica again, we will most likely stay at a more upscale resort, but overall this resort was fine for our first trek to the country,

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and if you want a good seat at the pool or on the beach, go find and put a towel or a book on the chair to reserve it. I have heard that June/July is a lower reservation time of year, so we had a wonderful time because it was not overly crowded.
1  Thank ImaTravelBuddy
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am happy that you had a great t ime, and that you enjoyed yourself despite the shortcomings you mentioned. This will be used in a positive manner to better enhance our product.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

My brother and I stayed at the Jewel for 5 nights on our yearly brother/sister trip and had a blast. The views were gorgeous, the food was delicious, the facilities were very nice, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a bit of trouble with the gentleman at the Concierge, but besides that our stay was excellent! I would definitely return!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nicole C

Dear Guest

Thank you for allowing us to be apart of your vacation and it was our pleasure to have hosted you, despite the negative encounter with the gentleman at the Concierge, I am delighted that you had a blast. I extend my apologies for the encounter. Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

We had a beautiful stay with 2 other couples at the Jewel. My only complaint would be I didn't get those 2 chocolate cakes I requested for fathers day for my husband- they were to die for! But really the staff here is absolute amazing! I have never felt as pampered and thought of as this place made us feel. We refuse to stay anywhere else while visiting Jamaica. The husbands won't let us come back next year due to sticking to our initial agreement of trying a new place every year- so we have agreed on coming back every other year instead. Stop reading reviews and book today! I would def recommend upgrading to diamond concierge oceanfront. I wish I had names to acknowledge but truly it was every soul we met on the resort. One tip I will give is go experience the culture. Visiting the schools, clubs, and the restaurants were some of the highlights of our trip. We have met lifelong friends that we now talk to on a weekly basis and we can't wait to come back home!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank married00

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and delighted that you had a great time here with us, it was our pleasure to have hosted you and see you in 2014.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Jewel towards the end of June for 8 nights.
The first thing I must say is that this is a VERY well run hotel.
The whole trip was a surprise for my wife's birthday. We had spent 3 nights in the US prior to going to Jamaica and my wife thought that this was just a short trip. In order not to blow my cover we could only take 3 days worth of clothing with us, so I secretly bought and sent extra clothes to Jamaica by courier.
The clothes should have arrived before we did, but of course they did not.
Everyday, 2-3 times I would go to reception and check, and it was never too much bother, in fact one of the ladies on reception rang the courier in the UK to keep on top of the progress - the parcel eventually turned up - thank you Monique!!
The thing that makes this hotel special is the staff - the vast majority of them do an excellent job - they genuinely appear to enjoy themselves, and their attention to detail is excellent.
The food is really very good - good choice and changing daily. I have high standards and was not disappointed. Very high service standards and great steak - a medium rare is exactly that!
Lots of branded spirits....Gordons, Beefeater, Tanqueray...I was in G+T heaven...
The pizza girls were excellent, as was the pizza - I worked for an Italian company for years and I must say that the pizza at the Jewel was equal to or better than what I tasted in Italy....I was very surprised!
Great entertainment staff, although I'd turn the volume down when they are doing their thing by the pool.
Good massage, good bar staff, good shop staff.......look - don't mess around, trust me and book your holiday with The Jewel.
It was overall a wonderful experience!
Thanks to all!!

2  Thank Paddy826

Dear Guest

I am delighted that your getaway and surprise for your wife was a relaxing one. I thank you for allowing us here at The Jewel Dunns River, to share in this moment. I am happy that you enjoyed all that the resort had to offer from the food, drink, service, grounds and staff. Thanks also for those staff that was mentioned and this will be shared with them. Looking forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

This was the 2nd year in a row we decided to spend our vacation at the Jewel and we were not disappointed! It was great to see all of the staff we got to know last year, they all remembered us! Everything about this property is incredible from the food to the grounds, from the drinks to the people! This time we had a vow renewal on the beach, the Jewel staff took care of every detail and really made it a special occasion! Thank you to our "family" at the Jewel, especially Carol, Conrad, Uton, Larnell, Fabian, Jason, Sasha and LaSonya! Forgive me if I mispelled a name, we will see you next year!

4  Thank Dubya1212

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and also for your repeat business. I am delighted that the second time around was just as great as the first, and the staff remembered you. Thanks again and hope see you soon for the third visit.