Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Villa Loyola(Mammee Bay)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$88
Seacrest Beach Resort(St. Ann's Bay)
US$131
US$101
Priceline
US$168
  • Pool
Travelocity
Moon Palace Jamaica(Ocho Rios)
US$612
US$532
Rooms Ocho Rios(Ocho Rios)
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Sands(Ocho Rios)
US$76
US$138
US$97
  • Pool
6,121 results
All reviewsdiamond roompier dinnerblue holejade samuraicoral cafemountain viewentertainment staffpizza ovenocho riosjerk chickenwrapspizza placethe grillitalian restaurantpiano barnature walkour honeymoon
Reviewed 3 June 2013

As three career ladies who work very hard a Jamaican vacation was exactly what we needed. The Jewel was perfect! With the exception of one incident I think it is fair to say we all had an exceptional time. The staff at the front (Merrick and Carlton) were ALWAYS so friendly and helpful. Annette and the other ladies who convinced us to get massages were so right. It was amazing. Floyd, Baby Face, and Happy Feet kept us laughing. Smokey took us sailing, Roger was our favorite bartender and Mrs. Peggy greeted us every morning for breakfast. She always had a friendly smile and comment for us. Montgomery worked security and kept us safe. Nataisa (she told us to call her Nancy) with JTL tours was FANTASTIC! Ask for her if you take the excursion to Rick's Café in Negril.

The hotel room was nice and clean. The shower water at times did not have a lot of pressure and was not as hot as I would have liked, but again it was clean. The refrigerator remained stocked with beverages and it was pleasant to have swan's on my bed each evening upon returning to my room.

Now let me elaborate on the one negative experience. I paid for an excursion at the Dolphin Cove that I didn't get to experience. Charmaine lied to me and even after that she told me "There is NOTHING I can do for you." Really? I don't believe that and I was hurt. My friends and I just spent "thousands" of dollars at your resort in seven days and you just lied to me! Wow was all I could say. Be careful booking excursions!

Our overall experience at the Jewel was fun and pleasant. Would we return? Certainly but I would definitely check out the Secrets at Montego Bay first. I stayed there last year and had a blast with NO negative issues!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Petula S
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Petula

Thank you for staying with us, and although, a few negatives, I am happy that you would return to us. I extend my apologies on behalf of the tour desk, who are concessionares in the hotel, if they miss lead you. I will defintely be sharing this with the company. Thanks for taking the time, to acknowledge and recognize the staff members that stood out for you. It was our pleasure again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Our stay at the Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa was awesome. The only regret that I have is not staying longer. Four days is just not enough time to do everything that we wanted to do. Before booking I read and reread so many reviews. We decided to stay in the Diamond building and upgrade to the concierge room. I am so glad that we did, although I dont know the experiences of those that did not, ours was completely WORRY FREE. We enjoyed Mistic Mountain (ski lift, bobsled and zipline), I shouldve read the fine print where one VERTICAL is included (I was terrified) but I did it!!! Yea Me!....I highly recommend the catamaran party boat to Dunns River. We had the greatest crew and we were able to snorkel and climb Dunns and come back to the boat and party allllll the way back to our starting point.
My only negative was the spa. We chose a couples massage on the beach. We unknowingly were upsold after they kept offering to use stones as if it were free. For $300 we only received about a 30 (suppose to be 50) minute massage. The location of the beach massage is right next to a bar and DJ and volleyball and pool and and and...so there is no "serenity", you still feel rushed and all the activity around you makes it very hard to relax, hear the ocean and enjoy the massage. The spa is very overpriced for what you receive and watch the sneaky upsale.
Other than that, I would totally recommend this all inclusive resort!!

Room Tip: the diamond, ocean view concierge room lent to a worry-free, beautiful weekend.
3  Thank AMT0313

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and happy that you enjoyed your time, despite the disappointment with the massage. I extend my apologies, and will definitely look at the ambiance. I am also happy that your was comfortable and you had a relaxed time. Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed at the Jewel for 4 nights from 5/28-6/1 to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We really loved the size and intimacy of the resort. We have stayed at much larger places in the past and while they may offer a lot of different features they tend to lack the personal touch of a small resort like this. We had a great stay and would welcome the opportunity to visit again.

I always appreciate thorough reviews so here is how everything broke down for us.

The airport transfer was better than we were expecting. We were with 2 other groups in a small van and it took 90 minutes to arrive. Check in was smooth and quick. We reserved a room in the Diamond building because of the stocked bar and room service. The elevator was broken in our building upon arrival and wasn't fixed until the night before we left. We were told to use the service elevator which was very hot and a bit crowded with other guests and staff, but it did the job. About two weeks prior to our trip, I emailed requesting an upper floor room on the Jewel side after reading some negative reviews about noise. I did receive a response saying our preference was noted but rooms were based on availability. We did receive a room on the 4th floor which was great for the view, but unfortunately we were facing the Riu. On 2 out of the 4 nights we were there there was an extremely loud dance party going on until early in the morning. It was loud enough that I could make out every word in the music even with our balcony door shut. We decided it wasn't worth requesting a new room since we were both so exhausted from the sun and could sleep through it. However, I would imagine lighter sleepers would have a very difficult time on the side. Our room was also adjacent to the service elevator bay which was also very loud. Not a major problem though since we weren't in the room much.

The pools were great. We spent all of our time at the quiet pool since we were mainly looking to read and relax. You could always find a chair at any time of day and staff came by to take drink orders. As noted in other reviews, the beach was quite small but we were expecting that. Again, chairs were always available and security kept solicitors off the beach. The only problem we found in this area were the spa staff. They approached us constantly about booking services, even waking us up while napping. It was easy enough to say no and they would be on their way, however one day I was literally approached 10 different times.

We were really happy with the restaurants and the bars. Our favorites were Jade and the pizza place. The drinks were great too. I miss the Red Stripe Light already.

We can not say enough about the staff, which are definitely the stand outs of the resort. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. We tipped often but never felt it was expected.

Overall, this is a fantastic place and we would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Diamond Building - Jewel side only
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and want to extend my apologies, about the elevator and the time that it took to be rectified and also on behalf of the spa ladies for the frequency of their visit and even disturbing while you wre taking a nap. I hope to host you again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Jewel from May 25-to June 1st and we have a great time. Of course there were some pro's and con's though. It's an hour and a half ride to the Jewel from the airport but we scheduled a private transfer with Reggae Tours (who were awesome) which avoided additional stops to various hotels as well as bathroom breaks. We arrived before anyone else so i'd defiantly recommend it.

Upon arrival our baggage was taken aside and we were prompted to check in. We were greeted with a cold hand towel and some paper work to fill out. Very smooth check in. We stayed in the Sapphire room on 6th floor with an ocean view. The room was nice, average and air-conditioned although it could have been a little cooler. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom very small. One complaint I had was the shower water pressure/ and the lack of water at all sometimes. Mid shower the water would randomly turn off and you had to play around with it until it turned back on. This happened a few times. Also, the sink made random gurgling sounds at any given time of day, even middle of the night. Not to annoying, just strange. Refrigerator was always stocked with water, soda, juice. No alcohol but didn't bother me much. The maids were great, your room always clean. They even offered turn down service every night. Our room was close to the RIU, you did hear faint music at night but nothing that would keep us up so we didn't mind it.

The people at the resort were all pleasant and entertaining. Baby Face, Floyd, and Happy Feet kept the day going with various games and activities. Damian was my favorite bartender, always remembered what you were drinking. Yaizel was also great with serving your drinks and always made sure you were ok and asked if you needed anything. All the waitresses/ waiters and bartenders were great.

The food was average, nothing special. I've been to other resorts with way better food. We ate Moonstone, Platinum, Jade, and the Coral Cafe for breakfast and lunch. They were all air conditioned so you were able to eat comfortably. The Aquamarine Grill and Jesters for pizza were open till 7 or 8 each day. Moonstone was ok, it was Italian food that was decent but I wouldn't expect anything to great from an Italian based restaurant in Jamaica. Platinum was their fancy restaurant that had a nice ambience but again the food was just OK. I had the Platinum surf and turf. The turf portion of it was good which was sirloin steak but the surf part which consisted of shrimp was not good, it tasted like the ocean. Yuck. The Coral Cafe was good which was their buffet style restaurant that served breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There was always something different so anyone could find something to their liking. We ate at Jade which is a hibachi style restaurant the last night we were down there and it was our favorite. This is the only restaurant you need reservations for. I suggest making them as soon as you get there because they are only open from 7-9 and is closed a couple times during the week, also limited seatings. Shannon was our chef. He was great and extremely entertaining. Aquamarine grill was good, they ffered burgers, wraps and grilled cheese. Their jerk chicken was very good. Jesters pizza was actually pretty surprising in that their pizza was very good. You must try the pizza Dolci! Another con about this hotel is the room service in which they charge you for. Never had I stayed in an all-inclusive where I was charged for room service, not to mention a $2 delivery charge plus 10% tax. The menu was limited and from 9:30pm on the only thing you had to choose from was a cheeseburger, a salad and some other thing which I cant even remember because it wasn't great. If i'm paying you for room service I expect it to be available to me 24 hours and have more of a selection, not limit me on what I can and cannot have depending on the hour of day. Also, certain restaurants are closed certain days for instance Tuesdays which was their beach party day. My boyfriend booked the Luminous Lagoon tour and did not arrive back at the hotel till after 8pm, after the beach party dinner was served and well over. We did not have dinner that night because of the limited food available and crappy selection in room service.

We did not spend anytime at the beach but I can tell you it's nice, but small and crammed. The pool was clean and pretty well maintained, there was always chairs available no matter the time of day. No need to wake up at the crack of dawn to claim your chairs. The hotel was very clean and maintained.

The Radiant Spa ladies were always around asking if you had your massage yet and would try and make you book an appointment. They were pleasant, I didn't find them to be annoying just said we'll think about it and they went on they're way. We booked a couples massage that Friday and I have to say it was amazing as promised. Kerry-Anne was my masseuse and she was awesome! I'd definitely recommend a spa day while your down there. You won't be disappointed.

Check out was speedy and the transfer back to the airport picked us up 5 hours before our flight. If you have an early flight be prepared to wake up early!

All in all I enjoyed our stay at the Jewel Dunn's minus a few con's along the way, which every hotel has. I'd certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Dear Corrine

Thank you for taking the time, to share your vacation stay with us and for the pros and cons. I just want to clarify with regards to the opening hours of our restaurants; our restaurants all open daily, with occassional closing of 1 per week, for deep cleaning. The beach party serves dinner until 9:30pm, on Tuesdays.

I appreciate your comments and hopeto see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

We celebrated our 15th anniversary this week and had the best time!!! The resort is clean and the staff is "out of their way " friendly. By the 2nd day, everyone knew our name. The staff is definitely a reason to go back!! I would like to mention a few that really stood out like our bellman Carlton, Happy Feet, Sassy, and so many more. I recommend sating in the Sapphire tower room #2416. We had a spectacular view of the ocean!!! The food was good and the hibachi restaurant was by far our favorite. Our chef Shannon was a blast!! Nobody expected a tip and service was great whether you tipped extra or not. Bed was very comfortable and our room was well air conditioned. Just remember that if you have a problem, ask for help and they WILL fix it. Even though there were so many wonderful points, I must mention a few of the cons..... The pool was always cloudy and dirty enough that I would not put my head under water. I also forget my hair spray and had to purchase an 8 oz. bottle of revlon hair spray for $10.00!!!!! I was also fighting a cold and needed some thing to help me feel better. DayQuil was $18.00!!!! Don't forget anything or you will be paying for it!

I definitely will recommend this resort to my friends and family. You will not be disappointed!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you stay above the third floor to get the best view of the ocean.
1  Thank bngates

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and delighted that you had a great time and thorughly enjoyed your time here. Thanks also for taking the time to recognize the staff members, that stood out and this will be shared with them. Hope to see you again soon.