“Not a nice owner”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Prachuap Khiri Khan
Sun Beach Guesthouse
Bangkok, Thailand
“Not a nice owner”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

When we checked in we did not see the owner but the very nice staff showed us to our rooms which were clean. We spent the afternoon at the beach and upon our return we were greeted by the German owner who was very drunk! He pushed one of our group and used foul language at us as we were only walking past reception. As our group was completely shocked by this rude and horrible man, we decided to check out fast. We did all get the impression that the staff who work here are very scared of him. Due to this we reported the incident to the local police, who it seems have heard of this man before! Do stay away from this drunk :(

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank PJAdventures

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lancashire
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I would firstly like to make it absolutely clear that I am a serious reviewer. I am not another hotel owner or customer who has decided to have their own agenda for doing a bad review. Please check my previous posts if in doubt. I am a retired nurse from the UK.

Now for my review. I booked this guest house direct with the owner by email. I did a lot of research regarding places to stay in this area - this is probably the only one based on other reviews that appeared to be of a good standard for westerners in the area. However I would not recommend staying here the owner IS A VERY DANGEROUS MAN!

We were traveling as a family, my Husband and I, our 2 sons, our daughter in law and our Grandson (all adults). We had booked 4 rooms. When we arrived the place was as we expected, lovely. It stood out compared to all the other accommodation in the area. We were greeted by a young Thai woman. She was expecting us but she did not take us into reception which I could see through the glass door. I could see tables and chairs in there and since she seemed reluctant to let us go in I asked if that would be were breakfast would be served. She said it was. She just seemed so nervous about us being near reception and strangely the door was locked. She said to go to reception the following morning for any thing we needed.

So we all went to our rooms and I just felt something was not how it should be. The place is more than clean, it is pristine and as a previous reviewer has said there are signs everywhere which read more like orders than guidance. Very regimental. Again this did not feel right.

Anyway we decided to go back to reception because we needed to use the WiFi. This time, the door was not locked. As we opened it we saw the German owner sat at a table. He was very drunk.

We asked very politely if we may have the WIFy code and we were shocked when he flew into a terrible rage and started shouting and swearing and telling us to get out and then he tried to attack my son. It was terribly frightening. My husband and 31 year old son managed to get me and my Grandson out safely. We went to our room and decided to all get into one room with our luggage.

The owner must have been watching us because he approached the front of our room shouting and swearing and threatening us if we had any complaints. I knew we needed to be very careful because we needed to get past reception in order to get out, so I told him there was not a problem and that his hotel was lovely and we were looking forward to our holiday there. This seemed to help a little and he went back to reception.

After he left we all got our things together and left as quick as we could.
The owner seems to have two Thai ladies working for him who are clearly very frightened of him. I rather suspect that he has some sort of hold over them and that is why the place is so immaculate, I would not like to be them if they did anything not up to his strict rules.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank LancashireLass2153
cheshire
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We feel we can use the title in this report because we have tried on all of our three visits to this Guesthouse to find dust (only in fun and you may think we are very sad), but I have even run my finger on the underside of the balustrade in the corrider and on the balcony and have never found any, and in our opinion if you cannot find any dust or dirt then it must be one of the cleanest Guesthouses in the world. To emphasis the cleaning point, the pool area is cleaned at least twice a day and even the underside of the sunbeds are cleaned regularly.
The rooms are a good size with plenty of storage space, good choice of English language TV programmes, probably the best we encountered in an eleven week trip. You may have read in other reports about the size of the bathroom being as big as a cupboard - this is not strictly true, yes, the bathroom is compact but I would call it a one person at a time bathroom but as Martin the owner says 'this is a guesthouse paying Guesthouse prices and not a 4 star hotel'.
As we have stated the pool area and pool are spotless and is a great thing to have at a Guesthouse.
Martin his wife Wan and all the members of staff we found friendly, if you have any questions or problems just speak to them and they will do their best to help.
A good choice of breakfast is available in the reception area also they do not mind you asking for coffee to take back to your room.
If you read all of the other reports about Sunbeach all the good points that they point out are true, I would only be making the same good comments.
We will definately stay here again if we are in Prachuap and in our opinion it is the only place to stay. Fantastic.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room if you want a sea view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aqualungcheshire
UK
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Myself and my partner spent 2 nights at Sun Beach Guesthouse in September 2013. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We paid 800 Baht a night for a double room with A/C and an en-suite, with a hot shower.

Our room had a fridge, TV and a balcony. Towels were provided. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room (and guesthouse in general) was spick and span. The staff seemed to be always cleaning; we even had the A/C cleaned out when we were there, which we doubt gets done that often in most Asian accommodation.

The guesthouse had free wi-fi, a swimming pool and a jacuzzi, it also has sea views.

We thought Sun Beach was fantastic and definitely worth the money. The staff were incredibly helpful, an English map was given, there were bicycles to rent for 60 Baht a day and motorcycles to rent. A wonderful guesthouse.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Liz C
Sastamala, Finland
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Very nice staff and rooms are very clean, 14 and 16 years old children liked to stay here too. Pool and it´s water was very clean. Location of hotel is good. We spend here 12 nights. Good place to stay longer times. I recommend this place warmly.

Room Tip: Groundrooms are good but better view is from upper rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tempakka
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

This is an awesome budget option in Prachuap, we loved it here. What you get for the price you pay is outstanding. The room was lovely and ridiculously clean. There was a very comfortable bed, air con, tv, fridge, balcony and hot shower all for less than 1000 baht, something rare in Thailand during high season. The staff were all very friendly, they were always smiling which made the stay even better. The pool area is good for chilling out. The beach at the front isn't the best but you can drive to some other very nice beaches as the place does bike hire. There are many fantastic seafood restaurants nearby making this a great location. It's very quiet at night so we always had a good nights sleep. Definitely the best choice in Prachuap.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dave_Basia
UK
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed at Sun Beach for 4 nights at the beginning of December. The guesthouse was spotlessly clean and the staff all worked very hard to ensure guests had a wonderful stay. When the wind is strong in Prachuap Bay the air becomes salty and that is the biggest battle for the staff at Sun Beach, keeping the windows and electrics salt free.
Sun Beach is located at the end of a quiet promenade with fantastic views of the bay and beyond.
The guesthouse has a small swimming pool which closes around 8pm, so this is probably not the place for backpackers who want a midnight pool party.
My room was a good size and the food on offer was very edible at decent prices.
I will have no hesitation in staying at Sun Beach when I am next in Prachaup, which will probably be in 5 weeks time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo